The median nutritionist salary in the United States is about $54,000 per year which in hourly terms equates to about $28 per hour. The highest 10th percentile of this profession earns about $66,000 or more per year about $33 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $45,500 or less per year or about $22 per hour. The middle 50% of the workforce earns between $50,000 and $61,000 per annum or $24 – $29 per hour.
The nutritionist’s salary depends on many different factors. Factors such as the industry you work with, the type of establishment (private, hospital, physician’s office or government establishments), size of establishment, years of experience and level of training.
Job description of a nutritionist
What does a nutritionist do? Generally they are trained in the prevention and treatment of illnesses by encouraging healthy lifestyles, developing food and nutrition programs, learning dietary habits and monitoring food preparation.
Nutritionists are professionals who advise people on what to eat in order to live a normal healthy life and also achieve a particular goal. The duties of a nutritionist may include the following:
- Monitor the progress of a patient and consult with other medical professionals regarding this information
- Work in a research capacity, analyzing findings and making recommendations in regards to nutrition and food
- Consult with clients and develop diet and nutrition plans to meet the individual’s needs
- Monitor the effectiveness of diet and nutrition plans of their clients and make adjustments where necessary
- Monitor the preparation of meals and analyze their nutritional values
- Develop and rollout healthy eating education programs
- Diagnose health problems related to poor eating habits and develop a treatment plan
There are other duties a nutritionist may perform depending on type of practice they work in or qualifications they may hold.
Nutritionist Salary in other countries
In Australia, a nutritionist should expect a median salary of about AU$56,000. The rookie nutritionist should expect a salary of about AU$35,000 whiles a senior nutritionist’s salary is about AU$68,000 per year.
In the United Kingdom (UK) nutritionists can expect an average annual salary of about £35,000. Their income can vary anywhere from £22,000 to £41,000 per year depending on experience and level of skills. These are figures for those working with the NHS. But industry figures do not vary much from the NHS figures.
In Canada, the average annual salary for a nutritionist is about CA$49,000 and people in this profession can expect to earn between CA$45,000 to CA$135,000.
Salary of Sports nutritionists
Most sports nutritionists are privately employed. They are often employed by individual athletes or sports teams. A lot of the work sports nutritionists do is on a contract basis. Because they are employed individually by athletes or sports teams, how much they make will vary wildly. A sports nutritionist’s salary may range from $50,000 per year to over $300,000 per year depending on who they work with. If they work with an individual athlete, their salary may be a percentage of the athlete’s prize money.
How to become a nutritionist
- Choose from more than 80 degrees at the associate, bachelor’s, masters, and doctoral level.
- Discover career-focused programs in areas like business, education, healthcare, information technology, criminal justice, psychology, accounting, human resources, homeland security, and more.
- Most degree programs are offered entirely online in a flexible format that fits into the busy lives of working adults.
- Classes last 5 weeks for undergraduate programs and 6 weeks for graduate programs (doctoral dissertation classes last 9 weeks).
- BA/Health and Wellness
- BA/Health Education
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism :Thesis
- MS in Sport Management - Tourism : Non-Thesis
- M.S. in Sport Management (Non-Thesis)
- And more...
The best way to become a nutritionist is to obtain a degree in dietetics, food and nutrition or related fields. There are such accredited programs at the associate’s and bachelor’s degree levels. Accredited programs include practical internships which gives on the job training. A lot nutritionists and dieticians have obtained advanced degrees and specialization.
A lot of states require certification or licensure in order to practice as a nutritionist. The process includes having a bachelor’s degree in nutrition science or related fields, completing an internship training program and passing an exam.
A lot of employers prefer to employ nutritionists with certification. You can achieve this certification by making sure the degree you obtain is an accredited degree.
Verdict on nutritionist salary
The nutritionist salary is not one of the highest paying salaries in the healthcare field. Many in this profession will often obtain other and advance qualifications to help raise their salaries.