The median annual social worker salary is about $48,000. This is about $23 per hour. This falls right in the range of the middle 50% of social workers employed today. That range of salaries is recorded to be between $42,000 and $54,000 (between $21 and $26 per hour). Those working in the top 10th percentile can expect an even higher salary: about $28 or higher per work. This adds up to at least $59,000. The average annual income for someone working in the lowest 10th percentile, however, is a bit smaller. Only about $38,300 should be expected for these positions. That’s also equivalent to $18 or less per hour.
Many factors help to determine the annual income of a social worker. Education and experience play a role in just about every professional industry. Location, job type, and certification can all help or hinder the average income of a social worker. Metropolitan areas tend to pay higher salaries. Furthermore, the better certifications obtained by a social worker, the higher an income they are likely to expect. Certification goes hand in hand with education.
The average total compensation package for a social worker after benefits is about $70,000. Paid benefits may include health care, paid time off, social security, and pension, among others.
Job Description of a Social Worker
Social workers work with people who have experienced a crisis and need some help. Providing support and acting as a friend can be instrumental in getting these people back on their feet. Some people social workers are likely to work with include young offenders, drug and alcohol abusers, school drop-outs, people with mental health conditions or with learning and physical disabilities, the homeless, and the elderly.
Some tasks a social worker may be required to perform on a daily basis include assessing their clients and conducting interviews with their families and friends, offering counseling support, giving advice and recommending the best courses of action for various situations that may arise, preparing reports for legal action, and giving evidence in court.
How to become a Social Worker
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MSHUS- Organizational and Social Services
- MSHUS- Family and Community Services
- BS in Human Services in Youth/Family Services and Administration
- And more...
The University of Southern California Doctor of Social Work (DSW) online program is designed for experienced practitioners to harness innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
Unlike a PhD in social work, which prepares scholars for careers in research and the professoriate, the DSW@USC is an online advanced practice degree program for working professionals who want to have a greater impact in their practice.
- Doctor of Social Work (DSW)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Bachelor of Science: Social Work
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- And more...
Technology changes everything®
You’ve found Ashford University, where school comes to you. Ashford delivers relevant degree programs to you everywhere, any time, with a supportive community where you belong.
- BA/Social Science - No Concentration
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- BS Human Services Leadership
- And more...
Top-ranked by U.S. News & World Report, the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers its innovative Master of Social Work program online so students can make a lasting positive impact in their communities. Aspiring practitioners attend online classes with an average of just 12 students so they can get to know each other and expert faculty.
- Master of Social Work
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
There are some job opportunities available for social workers who have only obtained a bachelor’s degree. However, opportunities certainly arise after the extra education and training needed to receive a master’s degree. Some specialty social workers, such as clinical social workers, are required to have a master’s degree.
Most states also require social workers to be licensed. All states, however, require clinical social workers to be licensed in their field. The licensure exam can be completed after graduating with a proper degree in social work.
Social Worker Salary in Other Countries (Canada, UK and Australia)
Social workers employed in other first world countries receive roughly the same benefits and salaries as those working in the United States. Australian social workers make on average about AU$55,000 every year. Canadian social workers receive nearly the same: about C$50,000 on average.
Social workers employed in the United Kingdom should receive an average annual income that is about the same. £29,000 is earned annually on average by social workers in the U.K. This salary is equal to about $46,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Social Worker Salary
A career in social work can be rewarding, but also dangerous. Social workers often tend to young teenagers who are deep in trouble or child abuse cases that have gone awry. The salary for a social worker can sometimes ease the pain of dealing with people with such traumatic and sad stories, but work will most likely come home on a regular basis anyway. It is a lucrative career, but only a person with the proper skills to handle such situations should even think about becoming a social worker.