The salary of an Anesthesiologist is one of the most attractive in the medical profession. An Anesthesiologist salary can be affected by many different factors such as geographical location of your job, the type of facility you work in, specialty and experience. In the United States, an anesthesiologist can expect to earn on average about $343,000 each year and this can go up to about $425,000. The salary also depends on the industry you work in. You may work in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, education, government and non-profit organizations.
What does an Anesthesiologist do?
As you might have guessed, an anesthesiologist works with anesthetics. Before a patient is operated on, you will be the one who examines the patient to find out which type of anesthetic should be used. This information is then given to the doctor. It may also involve administering local, spinal or intravenous anesthetic. You will also take records of the amount and type of anesthetic used. You are also required to monitor and record the condition of the patient before sedation, during sedation and post sedation. You might work with an Anesthesiologist assistant to get your work done.
Anesthesiologists will determine the type of anesthetic required for each patient before they are operated on. You have the sole responsibility in this decision making process. You will usually take into the consideration the medical history of the patient as well as their weight and other factors. To be able to do this, you require a very specific set of skills and training. You will need to be very familiar with the surgical procedure to be performed.
How much money can I make as an Anesthesiologist?
In the United States, you should expect a salary of about $250,000 to $425,000 with the median being about $343,000. And this amount is without bonuses. With bonuses, you should expect your income to be much higher than the above. With bonuses, the median goes up to about $363,000. There are many other attractive benefits to this job.
How to become an anesthesiologist?
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Health Information Management
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Surgical Technology
- And more...
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
This profession requires just about the same level of education and training as most physicians. This normally involves 4 years of undergraduate studies and 4 years of medical school. You will then need an additional 4 years of specialist training in this field. This specialist training is done in residency at a medical facility. It is a very long process and can be very expensive but as you can see, the salary is very rewarding in the end. The schooling is a hard and very competitive process but you will be able to get to your goal with loads of determination.
Anesthesiologist Salary in other Countries (Canada, UK and Australia)
In the United Kingdom (UK) an anesthesiologist (referred to in the UK as anesthetist) salary for a consultant anesthetist is reported to be about between £74,000 and £180,000 per year. Those working in private practices can expect higher salaries.
Anesthesiologists are also referred to as anesthetists in Australia. The average median anesthesiologist salary in Australia AU$159,000 per year. The salary range is between AU$125,000 and AU$200,000 per year.
Anesthesiologists working in Canada should expect an annual salary of between CA$97,000 and CA$180,000.
Verdict on an Anesthesiologist salary.
This profession commands a very attractive salary. It is a rewarding profession and it is not uncommon to see people in this profession earning much much more than we reported above.