The salary of an Anesthesiologist is one of the most attractive in the medical profession. An Anesthesiologist salary can be affected by many different factors such as geographical location of your job, the type of facility you work in, specialty and experience. In the United States, an anesthesiologist can expect to earn on average about $343,000 each year and this can go up to about $425,000. The salary also depends on the industry you work in. You may work in healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, education, government and non-profit organizations.
What does an Anesthesiologist do?
As you might have guessed, an anesthesiologist works with anesthetics. Before a patient is operated on, you will be the one who examines the patient to find out which type of anesthetic should be used. This information is then given to the doctor. It may also involve administering local, spinal or intravenous anesthetic. You will also take records of the amount and type of anesthetic used. You are also required to monitor and record the condition of the patient before sedation, during sedation and post sedation. You might work with an Anesthesiologist assistant to get your work done.
Anesthesiologists will determine the type of anesthetic required for each patient before they are operated on. You have the sole responsibility in this decision making process. You will usually take into the consideration the medical history of the patient as well as their weight and other factors. To be able to do this, you require a very specific set of skills and training. You will need to be very familiar with the surgical procedure to be performed.
How much money can I make as an Anesthesiologist?
In the United States, you should expect a salary of about $250,000 to $425,000 with the median being about $343,000. And this amount is without bonuses. With bonuses, you should expect your income to be much higher than the above. With bonuses, the median goes up to about $363,000. There are many other attractive benefits to this job.
How to become an anesthesiologist?
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Health Information Management
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our campus in Clearwater, Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
This profession requires just about the same level of education and training as most physicians. This normally involves 4 years of undergraduate studies and 4 years of medical school. You will then need an additional 4 years of specialist training in this field. This specialist training is done in residency at a medical facility. It is a very long process and can be very expensive but as you can see, the salary is very rewarding in the end. The schooling is a hard and very competitive process but you will be able to get to your goal with loads of determination.
Anesthesiologist Salary in other Countries (Canada, UK and Australia)
In the United Kingdom (UK) an anesthesiologist (referred to in the UK as anesthetist) salary for a consultant anesthetist is reported to be about between £74,000 and £180,000 per year. Those working in private practices can expect higher salaries.
Anesthesiologists are also referred to as anesthetists in Australia. The average median anesthesiologist salary in Australia AU$159,000 per year. The salary range is between AU$125,000 and AU$200,000 per year.
Anesthesiologists working in Canada should expect an annual salary of between CA$97,000 and CA$180,000.
Verdict on an Anesthesiologist salary.
This profession commands a very attractive salary. It is a rewarding profession and it is not uncommon to see people in this profession earning much much more than we reported above.