The median annual salary for an audiologist is about $72,000, or $35 per hour. This falls right in the range of the middle 50% of workers, which is between $66,000 and $79,000 annually. These incomes are equivalent to between $32 and $38 per hour. Audiologists who work in the lowest 10th percentile should expect a salary of about $61,000 or less, or $29 per hour. These may be audiologists who are just starting out, or those working in very rural areas. However, employees in the top 10th percentile could reach a salary of at least $85,000. This equates to about $41 every hour.
Many factors will come into play to determine the annual income of an audiologist. Level of education is very important, as it is in most professional fields. Geographic location as well as type of employment are also very important. Metropolitan areas and big cities will pay audiologists more. Furthermore, an audiologist has many settings in which he or she may work. Some own their own practice. This does not necessarily mean more money in their pockets, since they must pay employee wages and overhead costs. Other audiologists may work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, or clinics. Each will pay different wages to their audiologists since each employer is different.
The total compensation package the average audiologist will take home should be around $101,500. This includes both the salary and any benefits the audiologist might receive from his or her employer. Benefits for most employers will include social security, pension, paid time off, and health insurance, among others.
Job Description of an Audiologist
The typical duties for an audiologist involve examining patients with various hearing, balance, or other ear problems. An audiologist will diagnose and treat these problems. Advanced technology and machinery will be used for such practices.
Audiologists may work in a variety of employments. Most will work in the health care industry. Within that industry, audiologists can be found in hospitals, physician’s offices, and audiology clinics. Some may even own their own practice. Some audiologists also work in schools. Many can be found in specialized schools for the deaf or hard of hearing.
How to Become an Audiologist
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Respiratory Therapy
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Many years of schooling are required to become a practicing audiologist. These professionals are doctors, so they are mandated to have obtained their Ph.D. in the field of audiology. Furthermore, all audiologists must be licensed before they can begin practicing. Licensing requirements vary by states, as they do for many health care professions. Research is required to ensure all the proper requirements have been acknowledged and met.
Audiologist Salaries in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
Audiologists working in other first-world countries should expect roughly the same average salaries as the United States. A Canadian audiologist should bring home on average about C$64,000 per year. Australian audiologists make about the same. They receive on average A$76,000 per year.
Audiologists working in the United Kingdom should expect a salary that is slightly less than the above three countries, the U.S., Canada, and Australia. On average, about £36,000 are brought home each year by an audiologist. £36,000 is almost $58,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Audiologist Salary
Audiologists are doctors, and they work in the health care industry. Compared to the salaries of some other physicians, audiologist salaries fall slightly short. However, starting salaries are good. It’s important to remember that audiologists need not receive a medical degree, just a doctorate in audiology. Furthermore, multiple years of residencies are not required for audiologists, as they are for many other health professionals. Audiology is certainly a lucrative field within the health care industry.