The median annual salary for an audiologist is about $72,000, or $35 per hour. This falls right in the range of the middle 50% of workers, which is between $66,000 and $79,000 annually. These incomes are equivalent to between $32 and $38 per hour. Audiologists who work in the lowest 10th percentile should expect a salary of about $61,000 or less, or $29 per hour. These may be audiologists who are just starting out, or those working in very rural areas. However, employees in the top 10th percentile could reach a salary of at least $85,000. This equates to about $41 every hour.
Many factors will come into play to determine the annual income of an audiologist. Level of education is very important, as it is in most professional fields. Geographic location as well as type of employment are also very important. Metropolitan areas and big cities will pay audiologists more. Furthermore, an audiologist has many settings in which he or she may work. Some own their own practice. This does not necessarily mean more money in their pockets, since they must pay employee wages and overhead costs. Other audiologists may work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, or clinics. Each will pay different wages to their audiologists since each employer is different.
The total compensation package the average audiologist will take home should be around $101,500. This includes both the salary and any benefits the audiologist might receive from his or her employer. Benefits for most employers will include social security, pension, paid time off, and health insurance, among others.
Job Description of an Audiologist
The typical duties for an audiologist involve examining patients with various hearing, balance, or other ear problems. An audiologist will diagnose and treat these problems. Advanced technology and machinery will be used for such practices.
Audiologists may work in a variety of employments. Most will work in the health care industry. Within that industry, audiologists can be found in hospitals, physician’s offices, and audiology clinics. Some may even own their own practice. Some audiologists also work in schools. Many can be found in specialized schools for the deaf or hard of hearing.
How to Become an Audiologist
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- Physical Therapy Aide
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
- Respiratory Therapy
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start September 5th
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Many years of schooling are required to become a practicing audiologist. These professionals are doctors, so they are mandated to have obtained their Ph.D. in the field of audiology. Furthermore, all audiologists must be licensed before they can begin practicing. Licensing requirements vary by states, as they do for many health care professions. Research is required to ensure all the proper requirements have been acknowledged and met.
Audiologist Salaries in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
Audiologists working in other first-world countries should expect roughly the same average salaries as the United States. A Canadian audiologist should bring home on average about C$64,000 per year. Australian audiologists make about the same. They receive on average A$76,000 per year.
Audiologists working in the United Kingdom should expect a salary that is slightly less than the above three countries, the U.S., Canada, and Australia. On average, about £36,000 are brought home each year by an audiologist. £36,000 is almost $58,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Audiologist Salary
Audiologists are doctors, and they work in the health care industry. Compared to the salaries of some other physicians, audiologist salaries fall slightly short. However, starting salaries are good. It’s important to remember that audiologists need not receive a medical degree, just a doctorate in audiology. Furthermore, multiple years of residencies are not required for audiologists, as they are for many other health professionals. Audiology is certainly a lucrative field within the health care industry.