The median annual salary for an audiologist is about $72,000, or $35 per hour. This falls right in the range of the middle 50% of workers, which is between $66,000 and $79,000 annually. These incomes are equivalent to between $32 and $38 per hour. Audiologists who work in the lowest 10th percentile should expect a salary of about $61,000 or less, or $29 per hour. These may be audiologists who are just starting out, or those working in very rural areas. However, employees in the top 10th percentile could reach a salary of at least $85,000. This equates to about $41 every hour.
Many factors will come into play to determine the annual income of an audiologist. Level of education is very important, as it is in most professional fields. Geographic location as well as type of employment are also very important. Metropolitan areas and big cities will pay audiologists more. Furthermore, an audiologist has many settings in which he or she may work. Some own their own practice. This does not necessarily mean more money in their pockets, since they must pay employee wages and overhead costs. Other audiologists may work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, or clinics. Each will pay different wages to their audiologists since each employer is different.
The total compensation package the average audiologist will take home should be around $101,500. This includes both the salary and any benefits the audiologist might receive from his or her employer. Benefits for most employers will include social security, pension, paid time off, and health insurance, among others.
Job Description of an Audiologist
The typical duties for an audiologist involve examining patients with various hearing, balance, or other ear problems. An audiologist will diagnose and treat these problems. Advanced technology and machinery will be used for such practices.
Audiologists may work in a variety of employments. Most will work in the health care industry. Within that industry, audiologists can be found in hospitals, physician’s offices, and audiology clinics. Some may even own their own practice. Some audiologists also work in schools. Many can be found in specialized schools for the deaf or hard of hearing.
How to Become an Audiologist
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Respiratory Therapy
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC)
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Many years of schooling are required to become a practicing audiologist. These professionals are doctors, so they are mandated to have obtained their Ph.D. in the field of audiology. Furthermore, all audiologists must be licensed before they can begin practicing. Licensing requirements vary by states, as they do for many health care professions. Research is required to ensure all the proper requirements have been acknowledged and met.
Audiologist Salaries in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
Audiologists working in other first-world countries should expect roughly the same average salaries as the United States. A Canadian audiologist should bring home on average about C$64,000 per year. Australian audiologists make about the same. They receive on average A$76,000 per year.
Audiologists working in the United Kingdom should expect a salary that is slightly less than the above three countries, the U.S., Canada, and Australia. On average, about £36,000 are brought home each year by an audiologist. £36,000 is almost $58,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Audiologist Salary
Audiologists are doctors, and they work in the health care industry. Compared to the salaries of some other physicians, audiologist salaries fall slightly short. However, starting salaries are good. It’s important to remember that audiologists need not receive a medical degree, just a doctorate in audiology. Furthermore, multiple years of residencies are not required for audiologists, as they are for many other health professionals. Audiology is certainly a lucrative field within the health care industry.