The Bureau of Labor Statistics gives the average annual salary of a chiropractor at $67,000. Salary.com gives the average chiropractor salary as $132,500. Chiropractic Economic magazine quotes the average annual salary as $87,500. From what you can see, there doesn’t seem to be a single data.
How much money you earn as a chiropractor will depend on your years of experience, the industry in which you work, who you work for, location of your job and whether you have your own private practice or not. When we went through the data reported by various bodies, we found that a chiropractor salary can range from $30,000 to $230,000. According to industry expects, you earn significantly less in the beginning of your practice and this amount increases significantly with experience.
In terms of pure numbers, you will find the data from bls.gov and salary.com below.
BLS.Gov: Median salary = $67,000, lowest 10 percentile earn less than $32,000 and highest 10 percentile earn over $143,500 on average.
Salary.com: Average salary = $132,000, lowest 10 percentile earn $94,500 and highest 10 percentile earn $228,000 on average.
Factors that affect a chiropractor’s salary include:
- size of company your work for
- whether you work for the federal government of private practice
- location of your job
- whether you have your own practice or work for someone else.
- years of experience as a chiropractor
Job description of a chiropractor
What does a chiropractor do? As a chiropractor, you treat patients who have medical problems related to the muscles, bones and ligaments and tendons. You will make use of techniques such as spinal manipulation to treat ailments such as back pain.
You will perform a diagnosis of the patient to determine what is causing their pain. Perform tests to analyze the patient’s posture and spine. You will also in certain cases use heat and cold treatment methods on injured parts of patients. A chiropractor also provides advice to patients about their general lifestyle from sleep to exercise. You will also have to determine if patients need additional medical treatment and refer them to the appropriate medical specialist.
Chiropractors believe that the spinal column and joints need to be in the appropriate alignment for a person to have optimum health. They believe that when this is not the case, a person’s nervous system is affected and the person becomes less resistant to disease.
Methods used by chiropractors include, spinal column and joints manipulation, heat and cold treatments on affected areas, acupuncture and massage therapy. They may also use support systems such as tapes and braces to help patients cope with pain.
How to become an chiropractor
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Massage Therapy
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Massage Therapy - Diploma
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
We know that you want to learn more than just the basics, so we do things a little differently. Our focus is on you—the student—as a whole. At CMSM you will learn valuable business, life, and communication skills which set you apart from other massage therapists—skills that prepare you to achieve success both professionally and personally.
- Massage Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Dreaming of a future in Cosmetology? Enjoy the personal rewards of helping people look and feel their best.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
One is required to complete a Doctor of Chiropractor (D.C.) program and acquire a license from the state in order to practice. Getting admitted into chiropractor school requires the student to have completed a minimum of 3 years college studies. A bachelor degree is not a requirement for entrance however be advised that about 90% of applicants do have one.
The D.C. coursework lasts for 4 years and consists of 2 years classroom work and 2 years of clinical experience. This is supervised. If you want to work as a specialist, you will have to complete additional residency work.
You will need to have a license in order to practice as a chiropractor. Some states will require that you pass state exams. Learn more about chiropractor schools here.
Chiropractor Salary in Australia, Canada and UK
Chiropractors working in Australia can expect an annual median salary of about AU$76,000. The salary range is between Au$56,000 and AU$100,000 per year.
In the United Kingdom (UK), the starting salary is reported to be about £20,000 per year and can increase to between £31,000 and £41,000 per year depending on experience.
A chiropractor salary in Canada is reported to be between CA$50,000 and CA$100,000 per year. The average is CA$70,000 per year.
It is expected that 28 percent more chiropractors will be hired between 2010 and 2020. The baby boomers of the 1960s are turning very old and with old age comes many body ailments. These people will increasingly require the service of chiropractors. If you are ready to work hard and provide your patients with the best quality service, you should expect to be rewarded with a very good chiropractor salary.