The Bureau of Labor Statistics gives the average annual salary of a chiropractor at $67,000. Salary.com gives the average chiropractor salary as $132,500. Chiropractic Economic magazine quotes the average annual salary as $87,500. From what you can see, there doesn’t seem to be a single data.
How much money you earn as a chiropractor will depend on your years of experience, the industry in which you work, who you work for, location of your job and whether you have your own private practice or not. When we went through the data reported by various bodies, we found that a chiropractor salary can range from $30,000 to $230,000. According to industry expects, you earn significantly less in the beginning of your practice and this amount increases significantly with experience.
In terms of pure numbers, you will find the data from bls.gov and salary.com below.
BLS.Gov: Median salary = $67,000, lowest 10 percentile earn less than $32,000 and highest 10 percentile earn over $143,500 on average.
Salary.com: Average salary = $132,000, lowest 10 percentile earn $94,500 and highest 10 percentile earn $228,000 on average.
Factors that affect a chiropractor’s salary include:
- size of company your work for
- whether you work for the federal government of private practice
- location of your job
- whether you have your own practice or work for someone else.
- years of experience as a chiropractor
Job description of a chiropractor
What does a chiropractor do? As a chiropractor, you treat patients who have medical problems related to the muscles, bones and ligaments and tendons. You will make use of techniques such as spinal manipulation to treat ailments such as back pain.
You will perform a diagnosis of the patient to determine what is causing their pain. Perform tests to analyze the patient’s posture and spine. You will also in certain cases use heat and cold treatment methods on injured parts of patients. A chiropractor also provides advice to patients about their general lifestyle from sleep to exercise. You will also have to determine if patients need additional medical treatment and refer them to the appropriate medical specialist.
Chiropractors believe that the spinal column and joints need to be in the appropriate alignment for a person to have optimum health. They believe that when this is not the case, a person’s nervous system is affected and the person becomes less resistant to disease.
Methods used by chiropractors include, spinal column and joints manipulation, heat and cold treatments on affected areas, acupuncture and massage therapy. They may also use support systems such as tapes and braces to help patients cope with pain.
How to become an chiropractor
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Massage Therapy
- Massage Therapist
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Massage Therapy - Associate's
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
- Physical Therapy Aide
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
One is required to complete a Doctor of Chiropractor (D.C.) program and acquire a license from the state in order to practice. Getting admitted into chiropractor school requires the student to have completed a minimum of 3 years college studies. A bachelor degree is not a requirement for entrance however be advised that about 90% of applicants do have one.
The D.C. coursework lasts for 4 years and consists of 2 years classroom work and 2 years of clinical experience. This is supervised. If you want to work as a specialist, you will have to complete additional residency work.
You will need to have a license in order to practice as a chiropractor. Some states will require that you pass state exams. Learn more about chiropractor schools here.
Chiropractor Salary in Australia, Canada and UK
Chiropractors working in Australia can expect an annual median salary of about AU$76,000. The salary range is between Au$56,000 and AU$100,000 per year.
In the United Kingdom (UK), the starting salary is reported to be about £20,000 per year and can increase to between £31,000 and £41,000 per year depending on experience.
A chiropractor salary in Canada is reported to be between CA$50,000 and CA$100,000 per year. The average is CA$70,000 per year.
It is expected that 28 percent more chiropractors will be hired between 2010 and 2020. The baby boomers of the 1960s are turning very old and with old age comes many body ailments. These people will increasingly require the service of chiropractors. If you are ready to work hard and provide your patients with the best quality service, you should expect to be rewarded with a very good chiropractor salary.