Counseling Psychologist Salary In The United States
Counseling psychologists are skilled professionals who offer psychological and counseling services to students, faculty staff and other people from educational environments. These professionals have in-depth experience in the field of psychology and they can opt to treat their patients either through one on one sessions or through group sessions. At the same time, working as a licensed counseling psychologist typically requires an experience of four to six years in the field. The median expected wage of a counseling psychologist in the United States of America is of $61,000, although this depends a lot on the work environment of each professional.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Counseling psychologists get higher average in comes in some states, as opposed to others. The US states that pays counseling psychologists a median yearly salary that is above the national average are New Jersey, California, Delaware, Colorado and the state of New York. Professionals who live and work here in counseling psychology should expect a mean salary of around $80,000 a year, up to $90,000 a year if they live in New Jersey or Colorado, specifically. At the opposite end, there are the states of West Virginia, Montana and Mississippi, which all pay counseling psychologists a salary that is just under the national average. Psychologists who work in these states should expect a median yearly wage of around $45,000 a year.
Counseling Psychologist Job Description
Counseling psychologists aim to provide therapeutic treatments to those who experience various problems. This is considered one of the most rewarding and significant areas of specialty in the psychology industry, and it covers a variety of problems – from the health-related aspects to the developmental, social, emotional and educational ones.
The exact job duties and requirements of a counseling psychologist vary a lot depending on the chosen specialty – some of them work in academies and universities as professors or researchers, while others provide psychotherapy services. At the same time, other professionals work in mental health clinics, they work as psychiatric nurses, clinical psychologists or even as social workers, dedicated to helping those who are in need or have various social problems. Moreover, some counseling psychologists choose to work for government agencies, for private businesses or even for the military.
Counseling psychologists typically work with patients who experience less severe services, as opposed to clinical psychologists, in spite of the fact that both specialties deal with providing quality psychotherapy services. The clinical psychologists typically treat patients who suffer from rather severe mental illnesses, while the counseling psychologists deal with mild affections and also have a softer approach.
How To Become A Counseling Psychologist?
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- MSE School Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.A. Psychology
- MA Behavioral Economics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
- Substance Abuse
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
If you have decided to become a counseling psychologist, then it is important to firstly enroll in an accredited school that offers in-depth psychology training and courses – after you do that, you can choose to specialize in counseling, which is one of the biggest psychology specialties and which also offers a wide array of job opportunities. Before you choose a certain area, it is very important to become familiar with the different types of psychology counselors available out there. Taking school counselors as an example, it must be said that these professionals provide social, educational and academic counseling services to students and to pupils from the lower secondary school and elementary school. They are often an important part of the administrative staff, along with school administrators and teachers.
The career counselors, on the other hand, are commonly referred to as vocational counselors and these are the psychology professionals who help others decide on the most suitable career for them. They often assess the skills, knowledge and personal preferences of their clients and they come up with ideas and suggestions on how they can improve their existing skills, gain a new set of skills and how to choose the most suitable career for them. Addiction counselors, on the other hand, treat people who suffer from various addictions that can wreak havoc on both their health and on their social life, from gambling and alcohol to severe drugs and substance abuse.
Other notable types of psychology counselors include rehab counselors or mental health counselors, both of which deal with patients that have been through a great deal of either emotional or psychological distress, and their purpose is to promote both the mental and the physical health and well-being of these individuals. Generally speaking, it is the duty of the counseling therapist to treat and prevent the onset of a variety of different problems, from anxiety and self esteem issues to substance abuse, depression as well as grief.
Becoming a counseling psychologist comes with a series of educational and licensing requirements, and most of these jobs require at least a Master’s Degree in counseling, social work, psychology or any other field that is related to this. Most of these programs are usually administered by the university’s school of education.
Different types of counseling psychologists can opt for different certifications. For instance, school counseling psychologists can opt for the Nationally Certified School Psychologist designation which is administered by the National Association of School Psychologists. On the other hand, the more advanced psychologists who want to take their career to the next level can get a certification from the ABPP or the American Board of Professional Psychology, which offers awards and certification in 13 different areas, including clinical health, school counseling, forensic psychology, rehabilitation psychology as well as psychoanalysis. The criteria and eligibility requirements typically vary depending on the chosen sub specialty.
Counseling Psychology Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Counseling psychologists who work in the United Kingdom should expect a median yearly wage of around 22,000 pounds, while those who work in Canada typically earn around C$63,000 a year. On the other hand, a counseling psychologist who lives and works in Australia typically earns around Au$69,000, in spite of the fact that the salary can increase along with the professional’s experience.
Verdict On Counseling Psychology Salary
To sum it up, counseling psychologists can get a very rewarded salary, and in addition to the encouraging paycheck it must be said that counseling psychology is also one of the largest, most appreciated and most sought-after areas of psychology, and the job outlook is great as well.