Family practitioners deal with maintaining the general health of the people. They are the first medical professionals we go to whenever we have a medical problem that is not urgent. That being said, family practitioners deal with a variety of different illnesses and disease: they can treat small injuries that are not life-threatening, they can administer vaccines and offer useful advice about nutrition, and they can also handle more serious conditions. They work with medical nurses, assistants and physicians, and the median yearly wage of a family practitioner in the United States of America is of around $136,000-$200,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Family practitioners tend to get the highest median yearly wages in the state of Arkansas, where they get around $206,000 a year, followed by the state of Wisconsin with just over $203,000. The third one on the list is Wyoming with around $195,000, Utah with just over $190,000 and the states of Massachusetts, Kansas and Georgia where these health care professionals get median wages of over $180,000 a year.
Family Practitioner Job Description
The duties of a family practitioner are many, but they often treat both non-dangerous and non-urgent matters and chronic, long-term conditions such as heart disease or diabetes. However, it often happens that family practitioners treat acute ailments like infections.
Family practitioners can work both in rural areas and in larger cities, and they often help families and children who need public health assistants, and most of them choose to specialize in treating only a certain part of the body or addressing a specific disease. Generally speaking, the duties and responsibilities of these professionals include treating different medical issues, providing coordinating medical services along with other health care providers and building mutually beneficial long-term relationships with their patients. It is also the duty of the family practitioner to inform the patients about the different illnesses and how to treat them, and to teach them how to take good care of their overall health.
How To Become A Family Practitioner?
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
- Looking for an Online Nursing Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree
- Get Matched to Top Nursing Degree Programs RIGHT NOW for FREE!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Working as a family practitioner is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding professions you can opt for in the entire medical field, mainly because you get the chance to form high-quality relationships with your patients. Overall, studying to become a family practitioner can take up to 11 years of training, and everything starts with a 4-year undergraduate pre-med degree. Throughout the four years of undergraduate training, you will get a deeper insight into microbiology, biochemistry and organic chemistry.
Once you have obtained your pre-med degree, it is important to move on and to get your second degree provided either by an osteopathic or by a medical college. This degree plays a crucial role in your future career as a family practitioner, as it will give you a deeper insight in all the different aspects of the medical field. As it happens with the med schools in general, the four years of training are split into two different parts: the first couple of years are dedicated to classroom teaching, while the last two are dedicated to the practical training.
Throughout the years of training, you will learn the basics of laws and ethical requirements for physicians, physiology and pharmacology and you will also gain in-depth experience in all the major fields of medicine. Only after you have gotten your med school degree you can move on to enrolling in a residency training program followed by a fellowship program. The residency program typically lasts for three years, and you will have the chance to enrich your general medical knowledge while improving your already existing set of skills.
The certification is provided by the American Board of Family Medicine, and if you manage to get it, you will officially become a board certified family practitioner.
Family Practitioner Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of these professionals is of around Cad$118,000, in Australia it typically ranges all the way from Au$150,000 to Au$350,000 while in the United Kingdom, a family practitioner is usually paid with an average of 33,00 pounds per hour.
Verdict On Family Practitioner Salary
To conclude, both the salary of the family practitioner and the connections these health care providers make throughout their careers are very motivating in the long haul!