Family practitioners deal with maintaining the general health of the people. They are the first medical professionals we go to whenever we have a medical problem that is not urgent. That being said, family practitioners deal with a variety of different illnesses and disease: they can treat small injuries that are not life-threatening, they can administer vaccines and offer useful advice about nutrition, and they can also handle more serious conditions. They work with medical nurses, assistants and physicians, and the median yearly wage of a family practitioner in the United States of America is of around $136,000-$200,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
Family practitioners tend to get the highest median yearly wages in the state of Arkansas, where they get around $206,000 a year, followed by the state of Wisconsin with just over $203,000. The third one on the list is Wyoming with around $195,000, Utah with just over $190,000 and the states of Massachusetts, Kansas and Georgia where these health care professionals get median wages of over $180,000 a year.
Family Practitioner Job Description
The duties of a family practitioner are many, but they often treat both non-dangerous and non-urgent matters and chronic, long-term conditions such as heart disease or diabetes. However, it often happens that family practitioners treat acute ailments like infections.
Family practitioners can work both in rural areas and in larger cities, and they often help families and children who need public health assistants, and most of them choose to specialize in treating only a certain part of the body or addressing a specific disease. Generally speaking, the duties and responsibilities of these professionals include treating different medical issues, providing coordinating medical services along with other health care providers and building mutually beneficial long-term relationships with their patients. It is also the duty of the family practitioner to inform the patients about the different illnesses and how to treat them, and to teach them how to take good care of their overall health.
How To Become A Family Practitioner?
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Family Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care
- Accelerated BSN to MSN
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- RN to MSN Informatics Specialization
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate (MSN to FNP)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Dual Degree: MSN-MBA (MSN-MBA) - Online
Founded more than 130 years ago by the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne has grown to become one of the nation's top Catholic universities. The school’s mission is to provide a well-rounded education that challenges students academically while nourishing their spiritual and ethical development. Today, Duquesne is home to 10 schools of study and serves more than 10,000 students.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Working as a family practitioner is undoubtedly one of the most rewarding professions you can opt for in the entire medical field, mainly because you get the chance to form high-quality relationships with your patients. Overall, studying to become a family practitioner can take up to 11 years of training, and everything starts with a 4-year undergraduate pre-med degree. Throughout the four years of undergraduate training, you will get a deeper insight into microbiology, biochemistry and organic chemistry.
Once you have obtained your pre-med degree, it is important to move on and to get your second degree provided either by an osteopathic or by a medical college. This degree plays a crucial role in your future career as a family practitioner, as it will give you a deeper insight in all the different aspects of the medical field. As it happens with the med schools in general, the four years of training are split into two different parts: the first couple of years are dedicated to classroom teaching, while the last two are dedicated to the practical training.
Throughout the years of training, you will learn the basics of laws and ethical requirements for physicians, physiology and pharmacology and you will also gain in-depth experience in all the major fields of medicine. Only after you have gotten your med school degree you can move on to enrolling in a residency training program followed by a fellowship program. The residency program typically lasts for three years, and you will have the chance to enrich your general medical knowledge while improving your already existing set of skills.
The certification is provided by the American Board of Family Medicine, and if you manage to get it, you will officially become a board certified family practitioner.
Family Practitioner Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
In Canada, the median yearly wage of these professionals is of around Cad$118,000, in Australia it typically ranges all the way from Au$150,000 to Au$350,000 while in the United Kingdom, a family practitioner is usually paid with an average of 33,00 pounds per hour.
Verdict On Family Practitioner Salary
To conclude, both the salary of the family practitioner and the connections these health care providers make throughout their careers are very motivating in the long haul!