The average median gastroenterologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $335,000 per year or about $161 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile of the profession reported wages of $235,000 or less per year which is about $113 or less per hour. The top 10th percentile of the workforce reported salaries of about $460,000 or more per year which is about $221 or more per hour. The middle 50% of gastroenterologists reported a salary between $282,000 and $401,000 per year or $136 and $192 per hour. Many factors determine how much a gastroenterologist will make. Their earnings will depend on years of experience, geographical location of work, type of establishment and skill level.
In addition to their base salary, gastroenterologists also have very attractive benefits. Benefits such as social security, pension, 401K, paid time off, health benefits and bonuses can mean that, the median total compensation package for a gastroenterologist is about $443,000 per annum. A gastroenterologist salary is one of the highest in the healthcare industry.
Job description of a gastroenterologist
What do they do? A gastroenterologist is a specialist physician that specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and diseases of the digestive system.
They often work initially in consultation with patients to better understand what is wrong with the patient. They then perform physical examinations as part of their diagnosis. Their patients are often referred by primary physicians and as such they often consult with the patient’s primary physician in diagnosing problems with the digestive system.
They are often experts in the movement of food through the digestive system and the use of nutrition by the body. They treat such conditions as colon cancer, stomach ulcers, colon polyps, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, severe constipation and gallbladder disease. They are trained to deal with any disease or medical condition that hinders the normal operation of the digestive system.
They are trained to perform surgery and very often perform surgery as part of diagnoses and treatment of gastric conditions. Gastroenterologists are also experts in endoscopy. This is the use of a tube with light and a camera at the end that is inserted inside the body to see the inside of organs. The gastroenterologist uses this to inspect the insides of the digestive system in order to make diagnosis of problems.
They often have their own private practices or work in specialist clinics with just a few team of doctors. This means they sometimes also perform administrative tasks such as hiring and management of staff as well as performing functions necessary to run a business.
How to become a gastroenterologist
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Doctor of Health Science
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Practical Nursing
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- And more...
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Dental Assisting
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Medical Assisting
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
Gastroenterologists are physicians with a specialty. They are subspecialists in internal medicine. To become a gastroenterologist, one is required to obtain a bachelor’s degree, complete an accredited medical degree program, undertake three years of residency training in internal medicine and then undertake an additional 2 -3 years fellowship training in gastroenterology.
High school students wanting to study medicine should take classes in science fields such as chemistry, biology, physics and mathematics. You should work hard to obtain very good grades and pass well on standardized tests.
The next step is to get into college and complete a four year bachelor’s degree. Although entrance into medical school does not require a specific major, you should major in science related majors such as biology, chemistry and physics. This might give you a slight advantage over those from other majors. Again make sure your grades are top notch because medical school admission is a very competitive one. Whatever your major, medical school admission does require coursework in certain science subjects such as biology, chemistry, anatomy etc. So make sure you take classes in these subjects in college.
You should sit and pass the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in your junior year in college. Good scores on this test is very important. Your medical school application package will include college transcripts, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation and any extracurricular activities from high school and college. You will also be required to attend extensive interviews so you need to prepare for that too.
Medical school will last for four years. During this period, you will mostly take classroom and laboratory based lessons as well as some basic clinical experience. After graduating medical school you will receive your medical degree.
After graduate school you will be required to do a least a one-year internship. After your internship, you will do a three-year supervised residency training in internal medicine. After you complete the residency, you will be required to do a minimum of two years fellowship in gastroenterology. After you complete this requirement and pass some written and practical exams, you can then call yourself a gastroenterologist.
As you can see, the process is a very long one and only a few students are suited for this program. It involves enormous hard work and sacrifices to get into this field.
Gastroenterologist salary in other countries (Canada, UK and Australia
In Australia, gastroenterologists earn between AU$150,000 and AU$205,000 per year. This figure can however rise dramatically when benefits are added. It is also mostly higher for those in private practice.
Those working in the United Kingdom (UK) have an average salary of about £113,000 per year. The range is between £85,000 and £130,000 depending on many factors such as type of employment. Benefits and bonuses can drive the wage much higher.
In Canada, the average salary is about CA$316,000 per year. The range is between CA$115,000 and CA$350,000 per year.
Verdict on gastroenterologist salary
Those employed in this field have some of the highest salaries in this field. It takes a lot to qualify into this specialty and very few people achieve it. It is also a very expensive training process. Considering all these, the high gastroenterologist salaries are very much justified.