Geriatricians are health care professionals who specialize in the care of seniors, usually people who are aged 65 or above. Simply put, geriatricians can choose to specialize either as family practitioners or as internists, and it is important for them to enroll in a specialized geriatrics fellowship before they have the chance to practice.
After finishing the two-year fellowship, these professionals can move on to working in the health care industry where they will focus on the physical, emotional, social as well as psychological issues that some of the elderly people confront with. Seniors need special care and attention, and only a skilled and trained geriatrician can provide them with that. That being said, the median yearly wage of geriatricians is of around $183,000, although this can vary significantly from one state to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the US states where geriatricians get the highest mean yearly wage is certainly the state of Arkansas, where they usually make as much as $215,000 a year or even more. After that, the state of Colorado also pays its geriatricians a median wage of around $183,000 a year, followed by the states of Rhode Island, Arkansas, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire, Utah or Kansas, where geriatricians usually tend to make a median yearly salary that is above that of an internist.
Geriatrician Job Description
As mentioned above, the geriatrician is the skilled health care professional who specializes in providing efficient medical care and attention to elderly people. These specialists deal both with preventing common diseases and ailments amongst the aging population, as well as with addressing the already existing problems. Some of the conditions that geriatricians usually address are strokes, osteoporosis, heating and memory problems, arthritis as well as the Parkinson’s or the Alzheimer’s disease, the latter affecting millions of seniors all around the world.
It often happens that geriatrics professionals usually have the same duties and responsibilities are internists given the fact that they commonly treat conditions and problems that affect the internal organs. However, it is important to know that in order to become a good geriatrician, one must be in a good physical and mental state, must be very compassionate and show empathy towards the elderly, and must also possess good communication and social skills.
Nowadays, geriatricians work in a variety of different health care settings, from state owned hospitals and nursing homes to private, residential homes as well as private clinics and other medical facilities. In some cases, it can happen that the geriatrician needs to work long and exhausting hour, but the salary is often directly proportional to the duties and responsibilities of these health care providers.
As it happens with most other professionals from the medical industry, geriatricians also work closely with other professionals in order to put a correct diagnosis for elderly patients, as well as to create a good treatment plan. These professionals may also be found in community health centers, assisted living centers, long term care facilities as well as various hospices and hospitals.
How To Become A Geriatrician?
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- Medical Coding and Billing
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- And more...
Becoming a geriatrician can take several long years of training and practice, as these skilled professionals must know how to provide efficient evaluation services, treatment and rehab plans for the elderly, as well as how to provide on the spot preventive care services. Moreover, these professionals must also have a post-doctoral degree and a certification in order to work in the United States of America.
That being said, it is important to mention that the first step towards becoming a renowned geriatrician is getting a Bachelor’s Degree in the field. It is important to also complete courses in various fields, from chemistry and organic chemistry to physics and biology. After that, it is very important for students to sit for the Medical College Admission Tests or the MCAT and to be admitted into the medical school, which typically takes four long years of theoretical and practical training. During the four years of training, future geriatricians will get a deeper insight into clinical medicine, laboratory and didactic medicine, they will also understand the basics of medicine and they will become familiar with other medical fields that are adjacent to geriatrics, such as hematology or cardiovascular disease.
The residency program is extremely important and it must be done right after getting the medical licensure. The licensure is provided by the National Board of Medical Examiners, and it will be granted only to those who manage to efficiently pass both the written and the oral tests. Only after that the students are allowed to enroll in a residency program that usually takes 36 more months. These residency training programs are usually offered by private clinics and state hospitals that usually have contracts with different med schools, and here students will practice in different medical fields like oncology, geriatrics, cardiology, neurology and many others.
The final barrier between the student and becoming a fully certified and licensed geriatrician is the fellowship. That being said, it is very important for the geriatrician to complete a full geriatrics program that can take anywhere between 12 and 24 months, and the training program can take place in both inpatient and outpatient clinic.
The licensure and the certification are equally important for a truly skilled and trained geriatrician who is trying to make a name for himself in the health care industry. In spite of the fact that the certification is not mandatory, most of today’s geriatricians choose to pursue a certification as it will help them validate both their skills and knowledge, and it will also improve their chances of getting a good and stable job and a higher salary. The board certification is provided by the ABPS or the American Board of Physician Specialties, and it is offered only after the student has managed to pass several multiple-choice written exams.
Geriatrician Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median yearly salary of a geriatrician in the UK is of around 60,000 pounds, while this health care specialist can make around Ca$54,000 in Canada and approximately Au$166,000 in Australia, or even more.
Verdict On Geriatrician Salary
To summarize, the median yearly wage of a geriatrician is very rewarding and motivating, especially for those who are truly passionate about working with the elderly and helping them overcome different medical issues.