Geriatricians are health care professionals who specialize in the care of seniors, usually people who are aged 65 or above. Simply put, geriatricians can choose to specialize either as family practitioners or as internists, and it is important for them to enroll in a specialized geriatrics fellowship before they have the chance to practice.
After finishing the two-year fellowship, these professionals can move on to working in the health care industry where they will focus on the physical, emotional, social as well as psychological issues that some of the elderly people confront with. Seniors need special care and attention, and only a skilled and trained geriatrician can provide them with that. That being said, the median yearly wage of geriatricians is of around $183,000, although this can vary significantly from one state to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the US states where geriatricians get the highest mean yearly wage is certainly the state of Arkansas, where they usually make as much as $215,000 a year or even more. After that, the state of Colorado also pays its geriatricians a median wage of around $183,000 a year, followed by the states of Rhode Island, Arkansas, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire, Utah or Kansas, where geriatricians usually tend to make a median yearly salary that is above that of an internist.
Geriatrician Job Description
As mentioned above, the geriatrician is the skilled health care professional who specializes in providing efficient medical care and attention to elderly people. These specialists deal both with preventing common diseases and ailments amongst the aging population, as well as with addressing the already existing problems. Some of the conditions that geriatricians usually address are strokes, osteoporosis, heating and memory problems, arthritis as well as the Parkinson’s or the Alzheimer’s disease, the latter affecting millions of seniors all around the world.
It often happens that geriatrics professionals usually have the same duties and responsibilities are internists given the fact that they commonly treat conditions and problems that affect the internal organs. However, it is important to know that in order to become a good geriatrician, one must be in a good physical and mental state, must be very compassionate and show empathy towards the elderly, and must also possess good communication and social skills.
Nowadays, geriatricians work in a variety of different health care settings, from state owned hospitals and nursing homes to private, residential homes as well as private clinics and other medical facilities. In some cases, it can happen that the geriatrician needs to work long and exhausting hour, but the salary is often directly proportional to the duties and responsibilities of these health care providers.
As it happens with most other professionals from the medical industry, geriatricians also work closely with other professionals in order to put a correct diagnosis for elderly patients, as well as to create a good treatment plan. These professionals may also be found in community health centers, assisted living centers, long term care facilities as well as various hospices and hospitals.
How To Become A Geriatrician?
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Executive Master of Health Administration
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- And more...
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- And more...
Altierus is a non-profit, higher educational school system with 21 campuses in 11 states, operated as Altierus Career College or Career Education. And being a student here is different. Because we don't see you as just a student. We see you as an individual within our community with your own reasons for being here.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Associate of Applied Science - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Becoming a geriatrician can take several long years of training and practice, as these skilled professionals must know how to provide efficient evaluation services, treatment and rehab plans for the elderly, as well as how to provide on the spot preventive care services. Moreover, these professionals must also have a post-doctoral degree and a certification in order to work in the United States of America.
That being said, it is important to mention that the first step towards becoming a renowned geriatrician is getting a Bachelor’s Degree in the field. It is important to also complete courses in various fields, from chemistry and organic chemistry to physics and biology. After that, it is very important for students to sit for the Medical College Admission Tests or the MCAT and to be admitted into the medical school, which typically takes four long years of theoretical and practical training. During the four years of training, future geriatricians will get a deeper insight into clinical medicine, laboratory and didactic medicine, they will also understand the basics of medicine and they will become familiar with other medical fields that are adjacent to geriatrics, such as hematology or cardiovascular disease.
The residency program is extremely important and it must be done right after getting the medical licensure. The licensure is provided by the National Board of Medical Examiners, and it will be granted only to those who manage to efficiently pass both the written and the oral tests. Only after that the students are allowed to enroll in a residency program that usually takes 36 more months. These residency training programs are usually offered by private clinics and state hospitals that usually have contracts with different med schools, and here students will practice in different medical fields like oncology, geriatrics, cardiology, neurology and many others.
The final barrier between the student and becoming a fully certified and licensed geriatrician is the fellowship. That being said, it is very important for the geriatrician to complete a full geriatrics program that can take anywhere between 12 and 24 months, and the training program can take place in both inpatient and outpatient clinic.
The licensure and the certification are equally important for a truly skilled and trained geriatrician who is trying to make a name for himself in the health care industry. In spite of the fact that the certification is not mandatory, most of today’s geriatricians choose to pursue a certification as it will help them validate both their skills and knowledge, and it will also improve their chances of getting a good and stable job and a higher salary. The board certification is provided by the ABPS or the American Board of Physician Specialties, and it is offered only after the student has managed to pass several multiple-choice written exams.
Geriatrician Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median yearly salary of a geriatrician in the UK is of around 60,000 pounds, while this health care specialist can make around Ca$54,000 in Canada and approximately Au$166,000 in Australia, or even more.
Verdict On Geriatrician Salary
To summarize, the median yearly wage of a geriatrician is very rewarding and motivating, especially for those who are truly passionate about working with the elderly and helping them overcome different medical issues.