Geriatricians are health care professionals who specialize in the care of seniors, usually people who are aged 65 or above. Simply put, geriatricians can choose to specialize either as family practitioners or as internists, and it is important for them to enroll in a specialized geriatrics fellowship before they have the chance to practice.
After finishing the two-year fellowship, these professionals can move on to working in the health care industry where they will focus on the physical, emotional, social as well as psychological issues that some of the elderly people confront with. Seniors need special care and attention, and only a skilled and trained geriatrician can provide them with that. That being said, the median yearly wage of geriatricians is of around $183,000, although this can vary significantly from one state to another.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
One of the US states where geriatricians get the highest mean yearly wage is certainly the state of Arkansas, where they usually make as much as $215,000 a year or even more. After that, the state of Colorado also pays its geriatricians a median wage of around $183,000 a year, followed by the states of Rhode Island, Arkansas, Nevada, Iowa, New Hampshire, Utah or Kansas, where geriatricians usually tend to make a median yearly salary that is above that of an internist.
Geriatrician Job Description
As mentioned above, the geriatrician is the skilled health care professional who specializes in providing efficient medical care and attention to elderly people. These specialists deal both with preventing common diseases and ailments amongst the aging population, as well as with addressing the already existing problems. Some of the conditions that geriatricians usually address are strokes, osteoporosis, heating and memory problems, arthritis as well as the Parkinson’s or the Alzheimer’s disease, the latter affecting millions of seniors all around the world.
It often happens that geriatrics professionals usually have the same duties and responsibilities are internists given the fact that they commonly treat conditions and problems that affect the internal organs. However, it is important to know that in order to become a good geriatrician, one must be in a good physical and mental state, must be very compassionate and show empathy towards the elderly, and must also possess good communication and social skills.
Nowadays, geriatricians work in a variety of different health care settings, from state owned hospitals and nursing homes to private, residential homes as well as private clinics and other medical facilities. In some cases, it can happen that the geriatrician needs to work long and exhausting hour, but the salary is often directly proportional to the duties and responsibilities of these health care providers.
As it happens with most other professionals from the medical industry, geriatricians also work closely with other professionals in order to put a correct diagnosis for elderly patients, as well as to create a good treatment plan. These professionals may also be found in community health centers, assisted living centers, long term care facilities as well as various hospices and hospitals.
How To Become A Geriatrician?
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
Becoming a geriatrician can take several long years of training and practice, as these skilled professionals must know how to provide efficient evaluation services, treatment and rehab plans for the elderly, as well as how to provide on the spot preventive care services. Moreover, these professionals must also have a post-doctoral degree and a certification in order to work in the United States of America.
That being said, it is important to mention that the first step towards becoming a renowned geriatrician is getting a Bachelor’s Degree in the field. It is important to also complete courses in various fields, from chemistry and organic chemistry to physics and biology. After that, it is very important for students to sit for the Medical College Admission Tests or the MCAT and to be admitted into the medical school, which typically takes four long years of theoretical and practical training. During the four years of training, future geriatricians will get a deeper insight into clinical medicine, laboratory and didactic medicine, they will also understand the basics of medicine and they will become familiar with other medical fields that are adjacent to geriatrics, such as hematology or cardiovascular disease.
The residency program is extremely important and it must be done right after getting the medical licensure. The licensure is provided by the National Board of Medical Examiners, and it will be granted only to those who manage to efficiently pass both the written and the oral tests. Only after that the students are allowed to enroll in a residency program that usually takes 36 more months. These residency training programs are usually offered by private clinics and state hospitals that usually have contracts with different med schools, and here students will practice in different medical fields like oncology, geriatrics, cardiology, neurology and many others.
The final barrier between the student and becoming a fully certified and licensed geriatrician is the fellowship. That being said, it is very important for the geriatrician to complete a full geriatrics program that can take anywhere between 12 and 24 months, and the training program can take place in both inpatient and outpatient clinic.
The licensure and the certification are equally important for a truly skilled and trained geriatrician who is trying to make a name for himself in the health care industry. In spite of the fact that the certification is not mandatory, most of today’s geriatricians choose to pursue a certification as it will help them validate both their skills and knowledge, and it will also improve their chances of getting a good and stable job and a higher salary. The board certification is provided by the ABPS or the American Board of Physician Specialties, and it is offered only after the student has managed to pass several multiple-choice written exams.
Geriatrician Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median yearly salary of a geriatrician in the UK is of around 60,000 pounds, while this health care specialist can make around Ca$54,000 in Canada and approximately Au$166,000 in Australia, or even more.
Verdict On Geriatrician Salary
To summarize, the median yearly wage of a geriatrician is very rewarding and motivating, especially for those who are truly passionate about working with the elderly and helping them overcome different medical issues.