Health psychologists are very appreciated in the psychology industry, as these are trained specializes who focus on illnesses and health, and how social, psychological and biological factors can take their toll on a person’s overall health status. The salaries of a health psychologist vary greatly depending on factors like the work setting, the expertise, educational background as well as the geographic location of the individual. However, it often happens that the median yearly health psychologist salary varies between $40,000 and up to $85,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The location of the health psychologist can either positively or negatively affect the median yearly wage. The state of Ohio, for instance, pays its health psychologists with a median yearly wage of around $63,000 a year, which is slightly under the national average, while the state of New Jersey pays these professionals a mean yearly wage of around $92,000 or even more. However, most states in the United States of America pay their health professionals median salaries of around $72,000 a year, with slight differences.
Health Psychologist Job Description
Health psychologists perform a wide array of different tasks related to their jobs, and their specialty area as well as the work setting (if they work for a public institution or for a private one, for instance) also influences their daily duties and responsibilities. Generally speaking, health psychologists work directly with patient and groups to promote healthy behavior and to raise awareness about certain illnesses and health aspects. Many health psychologists choose to work in the academic environment where they teach students the basics of health care, while others choose to work in the research department.
Regardless of the work environment, the duties and responsibilities of health psychologists typically revolve around the same tasks of exploring all the social, psychological as well as biological factors that can trigger a health problem or a disease. It is the duty of the health psychologist to determine whether there is a connection between the patient’s current mental health and a particular state of mind, and it often happens that these specialists work close to those who suffer from diabetes or other severe chronic diseases.
It is the duty of the health psychologist to promote a responsible and healthy behavior, as well as to encourage the patients to switch to a balanced, healthier lifestyle. At the same time, many health psychologists choose to work in fields like oncology, where they work with cancer patients, or pain management.
These specialists assess the state of mind of patients, they conduct interviews, personality tests and surveys and they also help patients relief stress and pain through various techniques and therapies. It is the duty of the health psychologist to give the patient the coping mechanism he needs to overcome a certain condition, and to provide them with all the social support they can get.
The exact duties and responsibilities of health psychologists vary depending on the work environment, as those who work in medical or clinical settings typically conduct clinical interviews, behavioral assessments and personality tests. On the other hand, those who work in the research or the public policy work department usually work for private agencies or governments, and they are responsible for raising public awareness about certain conditions and illnesses. Health psychologists can work in many different settings, from universities and colleges to different health care clinics, state owned hospitals and even private corporations.
How To Become A Health Psychologist?
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- Work in the fascinating and rewarding field of psychology - earn your bachelor's or master's degree online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences promotes research, creativity, ethical formation and inquiry through critical, analytical and interdisciplinary study.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's in psychology degrees combine academic theory with practical application.
- Gain a comprehensive study of human behavior within a Christian values-oriented environment designed to emphasize compassion and ethics.
- Join a values-based community surrounded by compassion, ethics and research on human behavior.
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The first step towards pursuing a career as a health psychologist is to enroll in an accredited psychology degree program offered by a reputable university. Becoming a health psychologist typically requires either a Psy.D degree or a Ph.D degree in psychology, and before getting that, most of the students choose to get an undergraduate degree in general psychology, and then they specialize in health psychology later on.
In addition to getting their Ph.D in psychology, it is also important for future health psychologists to understand that they need to get a state licensure as well, in order to be able to legally work in the state where they reside. In order to do that, it is important for them to make sure that they meet all the state licensure requirements and to take the final exam (the Examination for Professional Psychology Practice).
Becoming a health psychologist can take as much as seven years, given the fact that you will need to pursue a doctoral degree in psychology, no matter if you plan to work on a full-time or on a part-time basis. However, it must be mentioned that over the past several years, increasingly more students have become aware of the benefits of studying online in order to become a health psychologist – not only is this often a lot cheaper and more convenient as opposed to the classic on campus training, but it also helps them get their degree faster and without any problems. Besides this, the teaching program of online universities also tends to be a lot more flexible, thus allowing students to easily mold their own schedule based on that of the online university’s.
After you have received your doctoral degree in psychology, it is important to apply for a certification that will boost your salary and secure your work place. That being said, the certification for health psychologists is provided by the ABCHP, or the American Board for Clinical Health Psychology. It is important to meed all the competency, training and educational requirements in order to be eligible for the examination.
Health Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A health psychologist who works in Canada should expect to get a median yearly wage between Ca$44,000 and as much as Ca$148,000, while one from the United Kingdom usually gets between 35,000 and 41,000 pounds a year. At the same time, a health psychologist who lives and works in Australia gets between Au$66,000 and Au$75,000 a year.
Verdict On Health Psychologist
To conclude, the median yearly salary of a health psychologist is greatly influence by the expertise and the work environment of each specialist, although it generally tends to be very motivating.