Health psychologists are very appreciated in the psychology industry, as these are trained specializes who focus on illnesses and health, and how social, psychological and biological factors can take their toll on a person’s overall health status. The salaries of a health psychologist vary greatly depending on factors like the work setting, the expertise, educational background as well as the geographic location of the individual. However, it often happens that the median yearly health psychologist salary varies between $40,000 and up to $85,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The location of the health psychologist can either positively or negatively affect the median yearly wage. The state of Ohio, for instance, pays its health psychologists with a median yearly wage of around $63,000 a year, which is slightly under the national average, while the state of New Jersey pays these professionals a mean yearly wage of around $92,000 or even more. However, most states in the United States of America pay their health professionals median salaries of around $72,000 a year, with slight differences.
Health Psychologist Job Description
Health psychologists perform a wide array of different tasks related to their jobs, and their specialty area as well as the work setting (if they work for a public institution or for a private one, for instance) also influences their daily duties and responsibilities. Generally speaking, health psychologists work directly with patient and groups to promote healthy behavior and to raise awareness about certain illnesses and health aspects. Many health psychologists choose to work in the academic environment where they teach students the basics of health care, while others choose to work in the research department.
Regardless of the work environment, the duties and responsibilities of health psychologists typically revolve around the same tasks of exploring all the social, psychological as well as biological factors that can trigger a health problem or a disease. It is the duty of the health psychologist to determine whether there is a connection between the patient’s current mental health and a particular state of mind, and it often happens that these specialists work close to those who suffer from diabetes or other severe chronic diseases.
It is the duty of the health psychologist to promote a responsible and healthy behavior, as well as to encourage the patients to switch to a balanced, healthier lifestyle. At the same time, many health psychologists choose to work in fields like oncology, where they work with cancer patients, or pain management.
These specialists assess the state of mind of patients, they conduct interviews, personality tests and surveys and they also help patients relief stress and pain through various techniques and therapies. It is the duty of the health psychologist to give the patient the coping mechanism he needs to overcome a certain condition, and to provide them with all the social support they can get.
The exact duties and responsibilities of health psychologists vary depending on the work environment, as those who work in medical or clinical settings typically conduct clinical interviews, behavioral assessments and personality tests. On the other hand, those who work in the research or the public policy work department usually work for private agencies or governments, and they are responsible for raising public awareness about certain conditions and illnesses. Health psychologists can work in many different settings, from universities and colleges to different health care clinics, state owned hospitals and even private corporations.
How To Become A Health Psychologist?
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology / Human Development, Education and Health
- And more...
- Understand the Human Experience with a Psychology Degree from Saint Leo University!
- Whether you're interested in general psychology or clinical practices, earn your Psychology degree from one of the top-ranked Universities in Florida!
- Receive an Accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in any of our multiple Psychology programs from Saint Leo University!
- Saint Leo University provides academic excellence, flexibility, affordability, and a wide range of educational programs with financial aid and scholarships available to those who qualify.
- Learn on your schedule with our 6 convenient available start dates throughout the year. Get started on earning your accredited Psychology degree today!
- BA: Psychology - General
- BA: Psychology - Developmental
- MS: Psychology
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Dual Degree: MA Counseling Psychology and MS Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Integrative Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Counseling and Clinical
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Biological Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Addiction and Recovery
- Applied Psychology: Developmental Psychology
- Bachelor of Science: Psychology: Developmental Psychology
- And more...
The first step towards pursuing a career as a health psychologist is to enroll in an accredited psychology degree program offered by a reputable university. Becoming a health psychologist typically requires either a Psy.D degree or a Ph.D degree in psychology, and before getting that, most of the students choose to get an undergraduate degree in general psychology, and then they specialize in health psychology later on.
In addition to getting their Ph.D in psychology, it is also important for future health psychologists to understand that they need to get a state licensure as well, in order to be able to legally work in the state where they reside. In order to do that, it is important for them to make sure that they meet all the state licensure requirements and to take the final exam (the Examination for Professional Psychology Practice).
Becoming a health psychologist can take as much as seven years, given the fact that you will need to pursue a doctoral degree in psychology, no matter if you plan to work on a full-time or on a part-time basis. However, it must be mentioned that over the past several years, increasingly more students have become aware of the benefits of studying online in order to become a health psychologist – not only is this often a lot cheaper and more convenient as opposed to the classic on campus training, but it also helps them get their degree faster and without any problems. Besides this, the teaching program of online universities also tends to be a lot more flexible, thus allowing students to easily mold their own schedule based on that of the online university’s.
After you have received your doctoral degree in psychology, it is important to apply for a certification that will boost your salary and secure your work place. That being said, the certification for health psychologists is provided by the ABCHP, or the American Board for Clinical Health Psychology. It is important to meed all the competency, training and educational requirements in order to be eligible for the examination.
Health Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A health psychologist who works in Canada should expect to get a median yearly wage between Ca$44,000 and as much as Ca$148,000, while one from the United Kingdom usually gets between 35,000 and 41,000 pounds a year. At the same time, a health psychologist who lives and works in Australia gets between Au$66,000 and Au$75,000 a year.
Verdict On Health Psychologist
To conclude, the median yearly salary of a health psychologist is greatly influence by the expertise and the work environment of each specialist, although it generally tends to be very motivating.