Industrial-organizational psychologists are known to be amongst the highest paid professionals in their field of activity, with an average yearly salary of around $124,000. However, the lowest 10% of the industrial organizational psychologists make around $55,000, while the highest 10% can make as much as $187,000 a year. It is the duty of the industrial psychologist to analyze the company data, to interview the workers about the job satisfaction and the overall requirements as well as to assess the performance of the employees. It is the duty of the industrial psychologists to identify the areas that need to be improved, and to suggest solutions.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
Industrial psychologists are paid differently across the US, and the state of Florida is known to be the most prolific one for these professionals, from a financial standpoint. Industrial organizational psychologists who reside in Florida can earn as much as $126,000 a year, while those from the state of New York can make around $123,000 a year. Industrial psychologists who live in Pennsylvania should expect to earn around $102,000 a year, while those from Missouri and North Carolina have a mean yearly wage of around $109,000 a year. The state of Minnesota, however, pays its industrial-organizational psychologists an average yearly wage of around $118,000.
Industrial Psychologist Job Description
Industrial-organizational psychology is an important branch of psychology and it is commonly referred to as I-O psychology. Simply put, it is the duty of the industrial psychologist to increase the productivity and performance at the workplace, as well as to identify the problematic areas that need to be improved. At the same time, it is also the duty of the industrial organizational psychologist to carefully examine the mental and physical health of the employees, to study their overall behavior and working attitude as well as to conduct leadership training whenever required.
Other notable job duties and responsibilities include analyzing the job requirements in order to find the most suitable person for the position, conducting research studies of the different communication systems and organizational structures, developing and implementing a wide selection of employees through different placement programs as well as coming up with new, improved interview techniques and psychological tests that can be used to determine the abilities and skills of the workers.
These professionals also implement different training programs and apply different principles of learning, and it is also their duty to identify all the development and the training needs within the organization. At the same time, the industrial organizational psychologist keeps a close eye on the workers to make sure that they rise to the expectations and demands of their job. They study the efficacy, the productivity and the general effectiveness of the workers at the workplace, they advise the management about the marketing and personnel aspects and they also provide counseling services to the workers, concerning career and job-related issues.
How To Become An Industrial Psychologist?
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Integrative Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Counseling and Clinical
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Biological Psychology
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
- And more...
Regent University is one of the nation’s leading academic centers for Christian thought and action.
Founded in 1978, Regent University’s 11,000 students are studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Va., and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from a Christian perspective in more than 135 program areas including business, communication and the arts, cybersecurity and technology, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing and healthcare, and psychology. Regent University has consistently placed as one of the top colleges in the state of Virginia and, currently, Regent University tops the list of Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in Virginia and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News & World Report. Along with our commitment to academic excellence, what sets Regent apart is our mission to prepare men and women to excel both in mind and spirit. Our students, faculty and administrators share a calling, founded on biblical principles, to make a significant difference in our world.
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
If you have decided to pursue a career in the psychology field and you want to specialize in I-O psychology, then it is important to understand that you have many different career options at your disposal. You can conduct research and teach future I-O psychologists in different academic settings, you can work in management consulting and human resources or you can work within a company and oversee the performance of the employees. The reason why it is important to decide on what you plan to do is because this will determine your entire career path.
It often happens that I-O psychologists do not need to worry about licensure, as they do not have direct contact with clinical patients. However, some states may require their industrial organizational psychologists to get a license and to be up to date with all the legal requirements. The first step is getting a Bachelor’s Degree where they will understand the basics of social psychology, psychological principles and research methodology. Those who want to take their training a step further can do that by enrolling in a Master’s or a Doctoral degree program. The master’s requirements vary depending on the type of program you opt for, although most of them focus on the methodology, coursework and the research design of industrial organizational psychology.
As mentioned above, industrial organizational psychologists do not necessarily have to be licensed, although getting a license or a certification is highly recommended. The minimal requirements that you need to meet in order to be eligible for a certification involve getting a doctoral degree and completing a supervised internship.
Only after that you can finally sit for the final exam which is administered by the EPPP, or the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology. If you manage to pass that examination, then you will officially become licensed. However, it is highly recommended to check with your state’s licensure board to fully understand the licensure and certification requirements that may apply.
Industrial Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United KIngdom
An industrial organizational psychologist can make between CAD 44,000 and CAD 148,000 in Canada, while an industrial psychologist salary in Australia is, on average, of around AU$69,000 a year. A skilled and trained industrial organizational psychologist who chooses to live and work in the United Kingdom can earn a medium yearly wage that ranges anywhere between 35,000 and 42,000 pounds.
Verdict On Industrial Psychologist Salary
To conclude, industrial organizational psychologists are an important part of some of the world’s biggest organizations and companies, and for a very good reason. Not only are these professionals responsible with identifying the areas of the company that need to be improved, but they also make sure that the workers’ general physical and mental state is good.
That being said, the mean yearly salary of an industrial organizational psychologist is usually very rewarding, and the salary grows exponentially with the performance, expertise and experience of the professional in question. At the same time, the licensure and certification also plays a crucial role as well, as credentialing adds to both the salary and the job opportunities.