The internist doctor deals with examining adult patients in order to ensure injury care and disease prevention. These health care professionals also deal with the treatment, diagnosis and recovery from certain illnesses, they can order various tests and they also refer patients to various medical specialists, if case. These professionals are familiar with the practices, procedures and concepts in their field of activity, and the mean yearly wage of an internist doctor in the United States of America is between $152,000 and $228,000, depending on the work environment, the training, skills, level of expertise as well as the overall experience of the internist.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Internists receive different salaries in the United States, and Utah is by far the highest paying state for these health care professionals, as it offers them a mean yearly wage of no less than $234,000. Following Utah, there is Nebraska which rewards its internist doctors with a mean annual salary of around $224,000, followed by New Hampshire with an average yearly wage of $223,000, South Dakota with $217,000 as well as Arkansas with no less than $213,000. Wisconsin and South Carolina also offers internist doctors mean yearly wages of over $210,000 a year. Figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics and Indeed.
Internist Job Description
These health care providers diagnose different ailments and also recommend and perform various non surgical treatments of the internal organ system. Internist doctors usually work with adults and they deal with different tasks, but generally speaking they manage and treat diseases of the stomach, digestive tract, liver and kidneys. These professionals work very closely with primary care specialists and they play a fundamental role in the medical field.
In addition to treating patients and preventing further diseases and injuries, it is also the duty of the internist doctor to counsel the patients on different medical aspects, from preventive health care and diet to general hygiene. Internists usually work in hospitals and exam rooms, and it is not uncommon for these health care professionals to work as much as 60 hours on a weekly basis. These professionals offer comprehensive and long-term care in the hospital and the office, and they can treat a variety of conditions from the simplest ones to the most complex. Moreover, these professionals can also diagnose and treat infections, diseases of the blood, joints, kidneys and heart along with diagnosing different forms of cancer.
In order to become certified, the internist must firstly choose to specialize in one of the many different subfields related to internal medicine, from adult congenital heart disease, adolescent medicine,advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology to critical care medicine, clinical cardiac electrophysicology as well as cardiovascular disease. Once they have chosen the preferred subspecialty, the internist doctor can start to get in-depth knowledge in the field and to sharpen their skills at the same time.
How To Become An Internist?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BS/Nursing (RN to BSN)
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- MA/Health Care Administration
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- BS Health Science
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Doctor of Health Science
- Master of Science in Nursing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
Becoming an internist is not an easy task, in spite of the fact that the steps are somewhat similar to those of becoming a general practitioner. It often happens that internist doctors start off by working as primary care physicians, and by specializing in one of the numerous fields of medicine described above. These professionals treat serious conditions and they also perform various routine annual physical checks.
The first and most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is taking advanced courses in high school and specializing in chemistry, math, physics or biology. Studying psychology in high school is highly recommended as well, as it will help the future internist understand the close connection between body and mind. Some volunteering work is also highly recommended, as it will help the student become familiar with the medical setting and the medical life, generally speaking.
The third most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is majoring in pre-medicine, and after that enrolling in a medical school that lasts for four years. Those who have higher grades on the National Medical Board examinations are more likely to succeed in the field. After completing the medical school training, it is important to complete three years of residency training where you will work closely with other health care providers, and you will get hands-on experience in treating the patients. Nonetheless, as it happens with any other medical field, internal medicine also requires continuing medical education in the long run.
License And Certification
Physicians and internists are regulated in all the 50 states of the United States of America, and the first step toward gaining your credentialing is getting the right degree and the right amount of training from an accredited medical or osteopathy school. After that, it is important to enroll in a program of internal medicine internship and to successfully complete it (the program must be fully accredited). After passing the national exam and apply for the licensure, you will officially become a licensed internist doctor and you will be able to practice in the state where you reside.
Internist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A Canadian internist doctor usually earns a mean yearly wage that varies anywhere between CAD 56,000 and CAD 137,000, while one who lives and works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year, depending on their work environment as well as their overall level of expertise. An Australian internist doctor, on the other hand, has a mean yearly salary that can vary between Au$47,000 and Au$170,000.
Verdict On Internist Salary
To sum it all up, internist doctors are very well paid, and if you think about chasing your dreams and becoming one, then it is highly recommended to consider one of the states described above, as these are the highest paying states for the position of internist doctor. Utah may be the best choice for internists, especially for those who are just starting off in the medical field and who are looking forward to getting a very satisfactory salary for their work.