The internist doctor deals with examining adult patients in order to ensure injury care and disease prevention. These health care professionals also deal with the treatment, diagnosis and recovery from certain illnesses, they can order various tests and they also refer patients to various medical specialists, if case. These professionals are familiar with the practices, procedures and concepts in their field of activity, and the mean yearly wage of an internist doctor in the United States of America is between $152,000 and $228,000, depending on the work environment, the training, skills, level of expertise as well as the overall experience of the internist.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Internists receive different salaries in the United States, and Utah is by far the highest paying state for these health care professionals, as it offers them a mean yearly wage of no less than $234,000. Following Utah, there is Nebraska which rewards its internist doctors with a mean annual salary of around $224,000, followed by New Hampshire with an average yearly wage of $223,000, South Dakota with $217,000 as well as Arkansas with no less than $213,000. Wisconsin and South Carolina also offers internist doctors mean yearly wages of over $210,000 a year. Figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics and Indeed.
Internist Job Description
These health care providers diagnose different ailments and also recommend and perform various non surgical treatments of the internal organ system. Internist doctors usually work with adults and they deal with different tasks, but generally speaking they manage and treat diseases of the stomach, digestive tract, liver and kidneys. These professionals work very closely with primary care specialists and they play a fundamental role in the medical field.
In addition to treating patients and preventing further diseases and injuries, it is also the duty of the internist doctor to counsel the patients on different medical aspects, from preventive health care and diet to general hygiene. Internists usually work in hospitals and exam rooms, and it is not uncommon for these health care professionals to work as much as 60 hours on a weekly basis. These professionals offer comprehensive and long-term care in the hospital and the office, and they can treat a variety of conditions from the simplest ones to the most complex. Moreover, these professionals can also diagnose and treat infections, diseases of the blood, joints, kidneys and heart along with diagnosing different forms of cancer.
In order to become certified, the internist must firstly choose to specialize in one of the many different subfields related to internal medicine, from adult congenital heart disease, adolescent medicine,advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology to critical care medicine, clinical cardiac electrophysicology as well as cardiovascular disease. Once they have chosen the preferred subspecialty, the internist doctor can start to get in-depth knowledge in the field and to sharpen their skills at the same time.
How To Become An Internist?
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Arts in Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
Becoming an internist is not an easy task, in spite of the fact that the steps are somewhat similar to those of becoming a general practitioner. It often happens that internist doctors start off by working as primary care physicians, and by specializing in one of the numerous fields of medicine described above. These professionals treat serious conditions and they also perform various routine annual physical checks.
The first and most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is taking advanced courses in high school and specializing in chemistry, math, physics or biology. Studying psychology in high school is highly recommended as well, as it will help the future internist understand the close connection between body and mind. Some volunteering work is also highly recommended, as it will help the student become familiar with the medical setting and the medical life, generally speaking.
The third most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is majoring in pre-medicine, and after that enrolling in a medical school that lasts for four years. Those who have higher grades on the National Medical Board examinations are more likely to succeed in the field. After completing the medical school training, it is important to complete three years of residency training where you will work closely with other health care providers, and you will get hands-on experience in treating the patients. Nonetheless, as it happens with any other medical field, internal medicine also requires continuing medical education in the long run.
License And Certification
Physicians and internists are regulated in all the 50 states of the United States of America, and the first step toward gaining your credentialing is getting the right degree and the right amount of training from an accredited medical or osteopathy school. After that, it is important to enroll in a program of internal medicine internship and to successfully complete it (the program must be fully accredited). After passing the national exam and apply for the licensure, you will officially become a licensed internist doctor and you will be able to practice in the state where you reside.
Internist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A Canadian internist doctor usually earns a mean yearly wage that varies anywhere between CAD 56,000 and CAD 137,000, while one who lives and works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year, depending on their work environment as well as their overall level of expertise. An Australian internist doctor, on the other hand, has a mean yearly salary that can vary between Au$47,000 and Au$170,000.
Verdict On Internist Salary
To sum it all up, internist doctors are very well paid, and if you think about chasing your dreams and becoming one, then it is highly recommended to consider one of the states described above, as these are the highest paying states for the position of internist doctor. Utah may be the best choice for internists, especially for those who are just starting off in the medical field and who are looking forward to getting a very satisfactory salary for their work.