The internist doctor deals with examining adult patients in order to ensure injury care and disease prevention. These health care professionals also deal with the treatment, diagnosis and recovery from certain illnesses, they can order various tests and they also refer patients to various medical specialists, if case. These professionals are familiar with the practices, procedures and concepts in their field of activity, and the mean yearly wage of an internist doctor in the United States of America is between $152,000 and $228,000, depending on the work environment, the training, skills, level of expertise as well as the overall experience of the internist.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Internists receive different salaries in the United States, and Utah is by far the highest paying state for these health care professionals, as it offers them a mean yearly wage of no less than $234,000. Following Utah, there is Nebraska which rewards its internist doctors with a mean annual salary of around $224,000, followed by New Hampshire with an average yearly wage of $223,000, South Dakota with $217,000 as well as Arkansas with no less than $213,000. Wisconsin and South Carolina also offers internist doctors mean yearly wages of over $210,000 a year. Figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics and Indeed.
Internist Job Description
These health care providers diagnose different ailments and also recommend and perform various non surgical treatments of the internal organ system. Internist doctors usually work with adults and they deal with different tasks, but generally speaking they manage and treat diseases of the stomach, digestive tract, liver and kidneys. These professionals work very closely with primary care specialists and they play a fundamental role in the medical field.
In addition to treating patients and preventing further diseases and injuries, it is also the duty of the internist doctor to counsel the patients on different medical aspects, from preventive health care and diet to general hygiene. Internists usually work in hospitals and exam rooms, and it is not uncommon for these health care professionals to work as much as 60 hours on a weekly basis. These professionals offer comprehensive and long-term care in the hospital and the office, and they can treat a variety of conditions from the simplest ones to the most complex. Moreover, these professionals can also diagnose and treat infections, diseases of the blood, joints, kidneys and heart along with diagnosing different forms of cancer.
In order to become certified, the internist must firstly choose to specialize in one of the many different subfields related to internal medicine, from adult congenital heart disease, adolescent medicine,advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology to critical care medicine, clinical cardiac electrophysicology as well as cardiovascular disease. Once they have chosen the preferred subspecialty, the internist doctor can start to get in-depth knowledge in the field and to sharpen their skills at the same time.
How To Become An Internist?
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
- Master of Health Administration
Becoming an internist is not an easy task, in spite of the fact that the steps are somewhat similar to those of becoming a general practitioner. It often happens that internist doctors start off by working as primary care physicians, and by specializing in one of the numerous fields of medicine described above. These professionals treat serious conditions and they also perform various routine annual physical checks.
The first and most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is taking advanced courses in high school and specializing in chemistry, math, physics or biology. Studying psychology in high school is highly recommended as well, as it will help the future internist understand the close connection between body and mind. Some volunteering work is also highly recommended, as it will help the student become familiar with the medical setting and the medical life, generally speaking.
The third most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is majoring in pre-medicine, and after that enrolling in a medical school that lasts for four years. Those who have higher grades on the National Medical Board examinations are more likely to succeed in the field. After completing the medical school training, it is important to complete three years of residency training where you will work closely with other health care providers, and you will get hands-on experience in treating the patients. Nonetheless, as it happens with any other medical field, internal medicine also requires continuing medical education in the long run.
License And Certification
Physicians and internists are regulated in all the 50 states of the United States of America, and the first step toward gaining your credentialing is getting the right degree and the right amount of training from an accredited medical or osteopathy school. After that, it is important to enroll in a program of internal medicine internship and to successfully complete it (the program must be fully accredited). After passing the national exam and apply for the licensure, you will officially become a licensed internist doctor and you will be able to practice in the state where you reside.
Internist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A Canadian internist doctor usually earns a mean yearly wage that varies anywhere between CAD 56,000 and CAD 137,000, while one who lives and works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year, depending on their work environment as well as their overall level of expertise. An Australian internist doctor, on the other hand, has a mean yearly salary that can vary between Au$47,000 and Au$170,000.
Verdict On Internist Salary
To sum it all up, internist doctors are very well paid, and if you think about chasing your dreams and becoming one, then it is highly recommended to consider one of the states described above, as these are the highest paying states for the position of internist doctor. Utah may be the best choice for internists, especially for those who are just starting off in the medical field and who are looking forward to getting a very satisfactory salary for their work.