The internist doctor deals with examining adult patients in order to ensure injury care and disease prevention. These health care professionals also deal with the treatment, diagnosis and recovery from certain illnesses, they can order various tests and they also refer patients to various medical specialists, if case. These professionals are familiar with the practices, procedures and concepts in their field of activity, and the mean yearly wage of an internist doctor in the United States of America is between $152,000 and $228,000, depending on the work environment, the training, skills, level of expertise as well as the overall experience of the internist.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Internists receive different salaries in the United States, and Utah is by far the highest paying state for these health care professionals, as it offers them a mean yearly wage of no less than $234,000. Following Utah, there is Nebraska which rewards its internist doctors with a mean annual salary of around $224,000, followed by New Hampshire with an average yearly wage of $223,000, South Dakota with $217,000 as well as Arkansas with no less than $213,000. Wisconsin and South Carolina also offers internist doctors mean yearly wages of over $210,000 a year. Figures from Bureau of Labor Statistics and Indeed.
Internist Job Description
These health care providers diagnose different ailments and also recommend and perform various non surgical treatments of the internal organ system. Internist doctors usually work with adults and they deal with different tasks, but generally speaking they manage and treat diseases of the stomach, digestive tract, liver and kidneys. These professionals work very closely with primary care specialists and they play a fundamental role in the medical field.
In addition to treating patients and preventing further diseases and injuries, it is also the duty of the internist doctor to counsel the patients on different medical aspects, from preventive health care and diet to general hygiene. Internists usually work in hospitals and exam rooms, and it is not uncommon for these health care professionals to work as much as 60 hours on a weekly basis. These professionals offer comprehensive and long-term care in the hospital and the office, and they can treat a variety of conditions from the simplest ones to the most complex. Moreover, these professionals can also diagnose and treat infections, diseases of the blood, joints, kidneys and heart along with diagnosing different forms of cancer.
In order to become certified, the internist must firstly choose to specialize in one of the many different subfields related to internal medicine, from adult congenital heart disease, adolescent medicine,advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology to critical care medicine, clinical cardiac electrophysicology as well as cardiovascular disease. Once they have chosen the preferred subspecialty, the internist doctor can start to get in-depth knowledge in the field and to sharpen their skills at the same time.
How To Become An Internist?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
Becoming an internist is not an easy task, in spite of the fact that the steps are somewhat similar to those of becoming a general practitioner. It often happens that internist doctors start off by working as primary care physicians, and by specializing in one of the numerous fields of medicine described above. These professionals treat serious conditions and they also perform various routine annual physical checks.
The first and most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is taking advanced courses in high school and specializing in chemistry, math, physics or biology. Studying psychology in high school is highly recommended as well, as it will help the future internist understand the close connection between body and mind. Some volunteering work is also highly recommended, as it will help the student become familiar with the medical setting and the medical life, generally speaking.
The third most important step that one needs to take in order to become an internist doctor is majoring in pre-medicine, and after that enrolling in a medical school that lasts for four years. Those who have higher grades on the National Medical Board examinations are more likely to succeed in the field. After completing the medical school training, it is important to complete three years of residency training where you will work closely with other health care providers, and you will get hands-on experience in treating the patients. Nonetheless, as it happens with any other medical field, internal medicine also requires continuing medical education in the long run.
License And Certification
Physicians and internists are regulated in all the 50 states of the United States of America, and the first step toward gaining your credentialing is getting the right degree and the right amount of training from an accredited medical or osteopathy school. After that, it is important to enroll in a program of internal medicine internship and to successfully complete it (the program must be fully accredited). After passing the national exam and apply for the licensure, you will officially become a licensed internist doctor and you will be able to practice in the state where you reside.
Internist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A Canadian internist doctor usually earns a mean yearly wage that varies anywhere between CAD 56,000 and CAD 137,000, while one who lives and works in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid between 75,000 and 100,000 pounds a year, depending on their work environment as well as their overall level of expertise. An Australian internist doctor, on the other hand, has a mean yearly salary that can vary between Au$47,000 and Au$170,000.
Verdict On Internist Salary
To sum it all up, internist doctors are very well paid, and if you think about chasing your dreams and becoming one, then it is highly recommended to consider one of the states described above, as these are the highest paying states for the position of internist doctor. Utah may be the best choice for internists, especially for those who are just starting off in the medical field and who are looking forward to getting a very satisfactory salary for their work.