The internship is undoubtedly one of the most important phases in the life of a doctor, as it is then when they get the practical experience that they will so much need later on. Commonly referred to as medical residency, the internship can last anywhere between three and eight years, and it can be very demanding while the salaries are not as high as one would expect. The mean yearly wage of an internship doctor is between $45,000 and $55,000 a year, although this can vary greatly.
There are several factors that influence the internship salary these days, from the type of residency the doctor aims for to the academic year and institution. The State of California offers these health care professionals the highest internship, as residents who are in their second, third or fourth year of medical residency should expect a mean yearly wage between $54,000 and $60,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Interns get different salaries across the United States and, at the time being, Atlanta is considered the city where these health care professionals get a staggering salary of over $100,000, in certain areas of medicine. In addition to Atlanta, an intern can also get a very high salary in other areas of the United States, such as Charlotte, North Carolina as well as Indianapolis, where the second-year medical resident students can make as much as $110,000 a year.
Internship Job Description
The internship period is paramount for becoming a doctor, and the medical residency must be completed even by those who plan to work as physicians later on, in the United States. Without the internship completed, these health care professionals are unable to get their license, a license that is required in all the 50 states of the US to practice medicine. Also, the medical residency is essential for becoming certified, as the American Board of Specialties does not grant certification if the doctor in question has not gone through the internship period.
The length of the medical residency can vary, but the minimum period is of three years for those who want to work as primary care physicians. However, those who specialize in surgery can go through up to five to eight years of medical residency training, in addition to the fellowship training.
The internship training begins as soon as the student has graduated from an accredited medical school and they have received a medical degree, be it a DO, an MD or a foreign medical degree. The type of the medical residency training that you need to undergo depends a lot on the type of med school you have attended, as you can opt either for allopathic residency or for osteopathic residency. This is why it is essential to determine the medical subfield in which you want to practice later on, prior to enrolling in the internship training period.
There are several different medical residency programs available, and they are usually affiliated with different universities. However, medical facilities in the large metropolitan areas also hire physicians to help them get the hands-on experience that they so much need.
The job description of an intern doctor encompasses many duties and responsibilities, from diagnosing illnesses and prescribing medicines under the close supervision of a licensed and more experienced professional to taking the history of the patient, checking their vital signs, ordering and analyzing different tests as well as closely communicating with the patient.
How To Become An Intern Doctor?
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
Becoming an intern doctor is the first step toward becoming a doctor and pursuing a career in the medical field. As you may know already, the role of doctor can be very challenging and demanding at times but, in the end, it is ultimately rewarding as well. It is the duty of every doctor to make people healthier, and these professionals are responsible with diagnosing different diseases, providing health advice as well as prescribing medicine.
Generally speaking, the path toward becoming a doctor is very long as it takes up to 11 years of continuing education, and the first step toward becoming an intern doctor is getting your Bachelor’s Degree in medicine. This can take between three and four years, and in order to get the degree you need to attend the med school. Once you do that, you can spend three more years as a resident and intern at the local hospital. The average length of the residency program is of three years, in spite of the fact that some specialties can take more.
As a pre-med student, you will need to get a deeper insight into different study subjects that are closely related to medicine, from chemistry and physics to mathematics, anatomy as well as biology. This is why most of the interns and residents choose to firstly take a job as a volunteer at the local clinic or hospital, in order to gain the experience they will so much need later on.
The first couple of years of med school are spend in the classwork as you will focus primarily on the coursework, and after that you will move on to doing your supervised practice in a specialized teaching hospital. After school, you will work for one year as an intern in the hospital and then you can spend six more years in the same location as a resident doctor.
Internship Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
An intern doctor who works in Canada should expect a mean yearly wage between C$8,000 and C$12,000, while one who completes his residency training in the United Kingdom should expect to be paid between 22,000 and 25,000 pounds. An Australian intern doctor usually has a salary that ranges between Au$38,000 and Au$40,000, depending on the chosen medical specialty.
Verdict On Internship Salary
The internship salary is certainly not the most rewarding one, but the good news is that this is only a stage and the salary increases with performance, experience and with training. In other words, the residency and internship training is just a phase that every doctor has to go through.