Medical doctors and physicians are highly appreciated both in the United States of America and outside the country. Becoming a medical training takes a lot of hard work, as in addition to completing college, these professionals must also go to the med school and complete a residency period. All these professionals must be licensed and they must undergo continuing education in order to keep their license and/or certification valid. No matter if you choose to specialize in paediatrics, obstetrics, internal medicine or family practice, it is important to know that the median yearly wage of a medical doctor in the USA can vary anywhere between $135,000 and as much as $420,000 a year, depending on your subspecialty and your geographical location.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
As mentioned above, the area of expertise of medical doctors is the main factor that influences their median yearly wage. That, and the state where they are licensed to work. One of the most generous states when it comes to medical doctor salary is Minnesota, where these professionals tend to have a starting yearly salary of around $220,000, followed by Indiana with around $212,000, Georgia with $210,000, and the states of South Dakota, Alabama, New Hampshire and Nevada which pay these professionals well-over $200,000 a year.
Medical Doctor Job Description
Medical doctors can specialize in many different fields, but generally speaking it is their duty and responsibility to diagnose patient conditions with the help of various tests and examinations. After putting a diagnosis, the medical doctor must devise a tailored treatment plan for each patient, to prescribe the necessary medications or therapies and then to closely monitor the evolution of these professionals.
Nowadays, medical doctors can be found in a variety of different settings, from private clinics and state hospitals to private practices. Commonly referred to as allopathic physician, the medical doctors usually work closely with MD assistants who specialize in different medical areas, be it psychology, internal medicine, cardiology or anesthesiology.
How To Become A Medical Doctor?
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Billing and Coding Specialist
- And more...
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $85 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Technician
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
If you have decided to become a medical doctor, it is important to understand that not only does this require several years of thorough study, but also a demanding residency and internship where you will gain all the hands-on experience that is vital for your future career as a medical doctor. Sometimes it takes up to 15 years from the moment you graduate from high school and until you are fully licensed and allowed to practice as a medical doctor. However, all the stress and hard work will eventually pay off, given the very high salary that medical doctors tend to earn in the United States of America, and not only.
The steps you need to follow are the same for every future medical professional: you must firstly enroll in a four-year training program that will result in a Bachelor’s Degree. Only after that you need to take and pass the Medical College Admissions Test that will get you into the med school. The med school training will take four more years, and it is extremely important to enroll in an accredited training program. At the end of the training, you will get either an Allopathic Medical Degree or a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine.
At the end of the med school, you will need to research and enroll in an accredited medical residency training program that can take three to five extra years of training. Then you need to pursue the fellowship training which can take 36 more months, depending on the medical specialty in which you choose to work. Some of the specialties, such as gastroenterology or cardiology, require more training than others. The final step is getting licensed by the state where you wish to work.
Certification is very important for medical doctors these days, and getting certified requires you to pass a rigorous test and peer evaluation. The certification is then provided by the ABMS member board, and you need to renew it after six or ten years.
Medical Doctor Salary In Canada, Australia And UK
In Canada, the median yearly wage for a medical doctor is of around CAD$118,000, in the UK it typically ranges between 40,000 and 70,000 pounds while in Australia it varies anywhere between Au$150,000 and as much as Au$350,000.
Verdict On Medical Doctor Salary
To conclude, the salary of a medical doctor depends a lot on the chosen specialty, but it tends to be more than rewarding for most of the medical professionals.