Medical doctors and physicians are highly appreciated both in the United States of America and outside the country. Becoming a medical training takes a lot of hard work, as in addition to completing college, these professionals must also go to the med school and complete a residency period. All these professionals must be licensed and they must undergo continuing education in order to keep their license and/or certification valid. No matter if you choose to specialize in paediatrics, obstetrics, internal medicine or family practice, it is important to know that the median yearly wage of a medical doctor in the USA can vary anywhere between $135,000 and as much as $420,000 a year, depending on your subspecialty and your geographical location.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
As mentioned above, the area of expertise of medical doctors is the main factor that influences their median yearly wage. That, and the state where they are licensed to work. One of the most generous states when it comes to medical doctor salary is Minnesota, where these professionals tend to have a starting yearly salary of around $220,000, followed by Indiana with around $212,000, Georgia with $210,000, and the states of South Dakota, Alabama, New Hampshire and Nevada which pay these professionals well-over $200,000 a year.
Medical Doctor Job Description
Medical doctors can specialize in many different fields, but generally speaking it is their duty and responsibility to diagnose patient conditions with the help of various tests and examinations. After putting a diagnosis, the medical doctor must devise a tailored treatment plan for each patient, to prescribe the necessary medications or therapies and then to closely monitor the evolution of these professionals.
Nowadays, medical doctors can be found in a variety of different settings, from private clinics and state hospitals to private practices. Commonly referred to as allopathic physician, the medical doctors usually work closely with MD assistants who specialize in different medical areas, be it psychology, internal medicine, cardiology or anesthesiology.
How To Become A Medical Doctor?
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Billing & Coding
- And more...
- Veterinary Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Medical Coding and Billing
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Dental Assistant Diploma
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Practical Nursing
If you have decided to become a medical doctor, it is important to understand that not only does this require several years of thorough study, but also a demanding residency and internship where you will gain all the hands-on experience that is vital for your future career as a medical doctor. Sometimes it takes up to 15 years from the moment you graduate from high school and until you are fully licensed and allowed to practice as a medical doctor. However, all the stress and hard work will eventually pay off, given the very high salary that medical doctors tend to earn in the United States of America, and not only.
The steps you need to follow are the same for every future medical professional: you must firstly enroll in a four-year training program that will result in a Bachelor’s Degree. Only after that you need to take and pass the Medical College Admissions Test that will get you into the med school. The med school training will take four more years, and it is extremely important to enroll in an accredited training program. At the end of the training, you will get either an Allopathic Medical Degree or a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine.
At the end of the med school, you will need to research and enroll in an accredited medical residency training program that can take three to five extra years of training. Then you need to pursue the fellowship training which can take 36 more months, depending on the medical specialty in which you choose to work. Some of the specialties, such as gastroenterology or cardiology, require more training than others. The final step is getting licensed by the state where you wish to work.
Certification is very important for medical doctors these days, and getting certified requires you to pass a rigorous test and peer evaluation. The certification is then provided by the ABMS member board, and you need to renew it after six or ten years.
Medical Doctor Salary In Canada, Australia And UK
In Canada, the median yearly wage for a medical doctor is of around CAD$118,000, in the UK it typically ranges between 40,000 and 70,000 pounds while in Australia it varies anywhere between Au$150,000 and as much as Au$350,000.
Verdict On Medical Doctor Salary
To conclude, the salary of a medical doctor depends a lot on the chosen specialty, but it tends to be more than rewarding for most of the medical professionals.