Military doctors are very much appreciated in the army, and they have very rewarding salaries as well. However, it must be said that the average salary of these health care professionals varies a lot, depending not only on their skills, training and experience, but also on their medical position. A second lieutenant who has a background of two years or less in the medical field should expect to earn up to $2,500 on a monthly basis, while a first lieutenant typically earns as much as $4,000 a month.
For instance, anesthesiologists make around $56,000 a year at the medical base, while cardiologists should expect a yearly base salary of around $125,000. On the other hand, emergency medicine military doctors earn around $87,000, while those who specialize in flight medicine earn around $83,000 a year.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The salary of military doctors varies a lot from one state to another. For instance, the state of New York pays its military doctors a mean yearly wage of around $142,000, while the states of California, Georgia, Connecticut or Illinois also pay them salaries of over $120,000 a year.
Military Doctor Job Description
If you have decided to specialize in military medicine, it is very important to firstly understand what this position involves. Simply put, military doctors are health care professionals who work directly with wounded soldiers and the other military personnel. These professionals have firstly been trained as soldiers in an army setting, and they are very familiar with every aspect of the military.
The duties and responsibilities of medical doctors vary a lot, but generally speaking these professionals deal with controlling and commanding different medical units and facilities, organizing and implementing different treatment plans, reporting the medical condition of all the nurses and other physicians at the base as well as dealing with the rest of the patients on a one-on-one basis. In addition to this, it is also the duty of the military doctor to coordinate the employment status of all the medical personnel on base.
How To Become A Military Doctor
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- AAS - Medical Office Administration
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- Practical Nursing
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Respiratory Therapy
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
Becoming a military doctor is more than just taking the financial side into consideration, as this job involves some degree of risk as well. These health care professionals want to combine their passion for medicine with their desire to serve their country, and doctors in the military typically work closely both with the soldiers and with their families.
The first and most important step towards becoming a medical doctor is getting your medical degree, which requires you to complete a bachelor’s degree program. You can choose any major that you want, although it is highly recommended to specialize in a field related to science, be it chemistry or biology.
Also, the second step is to complete the med school, which typically takes around four years and consists of specializing in both laboratory work and different medical specialties. The next step is completing a thorough residency or graduate medical education programs. This is also the lengthiest step that you need to take, given the fact that residencies tend to last between three and seven years.
Before becoming military doctors, these health care professionals can choose to specialize in their desired field of activity – that can be oncology, neurology, emergency medicine, family practice and a plethora of other medical specialties that are in very high demand at the moment.
In addition to completing the residency period, it is also important for these health care professionals to get a license that allows them to practice legally. The requirements for licensure can vary greatly from one state to another, but all states require their future military doctors to complete a residency program and to pass a series of exams as well.
Some degree of military training is required as well, given the fact that in addition to their medical degree, these health care professionals need to attend military medical school as well. It is highly recommended to consider courses in organic chemistry, physics as well as calculus, as they will surely come in handy throughout your career as a military doctor. It is important to apply for admission to the medical school and to get admitted – the military medical school typically takes around 16 months to complete, and the military doctors will slowly get promoted as the time passes.
A residency training at a military hospital is also required in order for these health care professionals to get certified in a specific medical specialty. The residency program can be completed right after graduation.
Licensing And Certification Requirements
As mentioned above, the licensing and certification requirements vary a lot, but it is important for the future military doctor to actually be a US citizen and to meet all the moral and medical requirements. It is very important for these health care professionals to have an unrestricted license and to have a certain age – only after they meet all these requirements they can become military doctors.
Military Doctor Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
Military doctors who live in the United Kingdom and serve their country here usually have a starting yearly salary of 15,000 pounds, although they can earn a lot more as they advance in their profession. Military doctors who reside in Australia should expect a starting median yearly wage of around Au$72,000, while those who live in Canada typically earn between C$134,000 and C$234,000 a year.
Verdict On Military Doctor Salary
To conclude, working as a military doctor can be very rewarding from every point of view but, at the same time, this can also be very risky and challenging as well. This is precisely why every future military health care professional should carefully weigh all the advantages and disadvantages before enrolling in the army. Regarding the military doctor salary, it must be said that these health care professionals do earn a very rewarding salary, and they have the opportunity to advance, to earn more money, to enrich their knowledge and to gain new sets of skills as the time passes.