The military psychologist is a trained professional who understands and calculates different military operations, and estimates the likelihood of people being hostile in a certain region. Moreover, these professionals focus on coping mechanismc for the military personnel and their families, as stress, trauma and fatigue are very common amongst those who work in the military.
The military psychologists are also responsible for designing new interrogation techniques, and they often work closely with soldiers and other army personnel who suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. A military psychologist who works in the United States of America should expect a mean yearly wage of around $61,000, although the general salary varies depending on the experience, location as well as the employer.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Military psychologists are paid different across the United States, but one thing is for sure: these professionals are very sought-after these days. In the state of New Jersey, a professional military psychologist can make as much as $93,000, while one who resides in Colorado should expect a mean yearly wage of around $90,000.
Another very high-paying state is California, where military psychologists can make around $85,000 a year, followed by the states of Ohio and Rhode Island, which offer military psychologists a mean yearly salary of around $80,000.
Military Psychologist Job Description
If you have decided to become a military psychologist, it is very important to be up to date with all the duties and responsibilities of these professionals. Simply put, a military psychologist can handle a variety of tasks, from conducting research and developing new interogation techniques to performing various tests and treating mental and emotional disorders. In some cases, these psychologists even help recruiters identify the applicants that are the most suitable for a certain position in the military, depending on their personality and behavioral traits.
One of the most common task of military psychologists is counseling the soldiers who have been through a great deal ofr trauma and who have developed what is known as PTSD, or post traumatic stress disorder. The military psychologist also evaluates all the new recruits in order to determine whether they are suitable for the position, both from a mental and from an emotional standpoint. They also diagnose and treat mental disorders and, if needed, they can prescribe course of treatments to help the soldiers cope with their problem. In addition to post traumatic stress disorder, the soldiers can also go through sleep problems, grief, anxiety as well as depression.
Just like any other psychologist, the military psychologist is also responsible with providing counseling and therapy services to those who have been subjected to a great deal of depression or trauma. Group therapies, family therapy sessions as well as individual one on one treatment sessions are the most commonly prescribed forms of therapy to treat mild to severe forms of depression, grief and anxiety.
However, it must be said that the soldiers and the additional military personnel are not the only ones who can benefit from the services of the military psychologist, given the fact that these professionals often work closely with the spouses, children and parents of those who have enrolled in the army. The psychologist helps the family members cope with the separation of the loved ones, as well as to overcome the loss of somebody dear to their heart (this is known as grief counseling).
Regarding the work environment of military psychologists, it must be said that these professionals work wherever military personnel can be found, from the traditional military clinics and hospitals to different government research facilities as well as military basis. It often happens that military psychologists are sent with their troops over the seas during times of war, to provide mental health services to the soldiers involved in combat.
How To Become A Military Psychologist?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- Ph.D. International Psychology
- And more...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addictions
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Becoming a military psychologist can take several years of hard work, as one needs to firstly earn a Bachelor’s Degree followed by a Master’s Degree and ultimately by a PHD or a PsyD, depending on their preferences. Generally speaking, military psychologists should expect to study anywhere between 8 and 10 years, and these professionals can enjoy the same education as civilian psychologists.
A license is also required for these professionals to work legally in the United States of America, and they also need to renew it on a constant basis. The eligibility requirements for licensure can vary from one state to another. However, unlike other military positions, becoming a military psychologist does not require you to attend a military school in order to practice.
In addition to the three degrees mentioned above, military psychologists must also consider an internship within the desired branch of the military, as field training plays a crucial role here. The Bachelor’s Degree can be obtained in virtually any field of psychology, be it clinical, general or counseling psychology, as the professional gets to specialize in military psychology only later on. In order to obtain the necessary Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in psychology, students must enroll in accredited university programs. The final step is gaining a degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology.
Certification And Licensing Options For Military Psychologists
The requirements are determined by each jurisdiction, but most cases require their military psychologists to have a PHD along with at least two years of practical experience in their field of activity in order to be eligible for the certification. The final exam is administered by the licensing board, and certification is voluntarily. The certification as military psychologist is provided by the ABPP, or the American Board of Professional Psychology, which also provides certification in virtually any other field of psychology, from counseling to rehab psychology.
Military Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A military psychologist usually gets around C$50,000-C$60,000 in Canada, while one who works in Australia is paid with Au$30,000-Au$140,000. Last, but not least, a military psychologist who works in the United Kingdom should expect to get around 45,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Military Psychologist Salary
Military psychologists are amongst the highest paid professionals in their industry.