The military psychologist is a trained professional who understands and calculates different military operations, and estimates the likelihood of people being hostile in a certain region. Moreover, these professionals focus on coping mechanismc for the military personnel and their families, as stress, trauma and fatigue are very common amongst those who work in the military.
The military psychologists are also responsible for designing new interrogation techniques, and they often work closely with soldiers and other army personnel who suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. A military psychologist who works in the United States of America should expect a mean yearly wage of around $61,000, although the general salary varies depending on the experience, location as well as the employer.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
Military psychologists are paid different across the United States, but one thing is for sure: these professionals are very sought-after these days. In the state of New Jersey, a professional military psychologist can make as much as $93,000, while one who resides in Colorado should expect a mean yearly wage of around $90,000.
Another very high-paying state is California, where military psychologists can make around $85,000 a year, followed by the states of Ohio and Rhode Island, which offer military psychologists a mean yearly salary of around $80,000.
Military Psychologist Job Description
If you have decided to become a military psychologist, it is very important to be up to date with all the duties and responsibilities of these professionals. Simply put, a military psychologist can handle a variety of tasks, from conducting research and developing new interogation techniques to performing various tests and treating mental and emotional disorders. In some cases, these psychologists even help recruiters identify the applicants that are the most suitable for a certain position in the military, depending on their personality and behavioral traits.
One of the most common task of military psychologists is counseling the soldiers who have been through a great deal ofr trauma and who have developed what is known as PTSD, or post traumatic stress disorder. The military psychologist also evaluates all the new recruits in order to determine whether they are suitable for the position, both from a mental and from an emotional standpoint. They also diagnose and treat mental disorders and, if needed, they can prescribe course of treatments to help the soldiers cope with their problem. In addition to post traumatic stress disorder, the soldiers can also go through sleep problems, grief, anxiety as well as depression.
Just like any other psychologist, the military psychologist is also responsible with providing counseling and therapy services to those who have been subjected to a great deal of depression or trauma. Group therapies, family therapy sessions as well as individual one on one treatment sessions are the most commonly prescribed forms of therapy to treat mild to severe forms of depression, grief and anxiety.
However, it must be said that the soldiers and the additional military personnel are not the only ones who can benefit from the services of the military psychologist, given the fact that these professionals often work closely with the spouses, children and parents of those who have enrolled in the army. The psychologist helps the family members cope with the separation of the loved ones, as well as to overcome the loss of somebody dear to their heart (this is known as grief counseling).
Regarding the work environment of military psychologists, it must be said that these professionals work wherever military personnel can be found, from the traditional military clinics and hospitals to different government research facilities as well as military basis. It often happens that military psychologists are sent with their troops over the seas during times of war, to provide mental health services to the soldiers involved in combat.
How To Become A Military Psychologist?
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Becoming a military psychologist can take several years of hard work, as one needs to firstly earn a Bachelor’s Degree followed by a Master’s Degree and ultimately by a PHD or a PsyD, depending on their preferences. Generally speaking, military psychologists should expect to study anywhere between 8 and 10 years, and these professionals can enjoy the same education as civilian psychologists.
A license is also required for these professionals to work legally in the United States of America, and they also need to renew it on a constant basis. The eligibility requirements for licensure can vary from one state to another. However, unlike other military positions, becoming a military psychologist does not require you to attend a military school in order to practice.
In addition to the three degrees mentioned above, military psychologists must also consider an internship within the desired branch of the military, as field training plays a crucial role here. The Bachelor’s Degree can be obtained in virtually any field of psychology, be it clinical, general or counseling psychology, as the professional gets to specialize in military psychology only later on. In order to obtain the necessary Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in psychology, students must enroll in accredited university programs. The final step is gaining a degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology.
Certification And Licensing Options For Military Psychologists
The requirements are determined by each jurisdiction, but most cases require their military psychologists to have a PHD along with at least two years of practical experience in their field of activity in order to be eligible for the certification. The final exam is administered by the licensing board, and certification is voluntarily. The certification as military psychologist is provided by the ABPP, or the American Board of Professional Psychology, which also provides certification in virtually any other field of psychology, from counseling to rehab psychology.
Military Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A military psychologist usually gets around C$50,000-C$60,000 in Canada, while one who works in Australia is paid with Au$30,000-Au$140,000. Last, but not least, a military psychologist who works in the United Kingdom should expect to get around 45,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Military Psychologist Salary
Military psychologists are amongst the highest paid professionals in their industry.