A neurosurgeon is a specialist surgeon and commands and very high salary. The average neurosurgeon salary is $368,000 without bonuses. With bonuses, the average salary is just over$500,000. A neurosurgeon is also called a brain surgeon. How much you earn differs greatly depending on a number of factors including who employers you, how experienced you are, geographical demography and area of specialization. According to salary.com, the lowest 10 percentile earns about $243,000 and the top 10 percentile earns about $461,000. The median neurosurgeon salary is about $340,000. With several years of surgical experience, a neurosurgeon can earn anywhere from $500,000 to $700,000 per annum.
Job description of a neurosurgeon
What do neurosurgeons do? They are physicians that specialize in performing brain and spinal surgery. There are specializations in the field of neurosurgery including brain surgery, spinal neurosurgery etc. A neurosurgeon is responsible for examining, diagnosing and treatment of various neurological conditions in the patient. They may prescribe medication or perform surgical procedures on the patient to treat ailments. Whenever a surgery is to be performed on the brain and the nervous system (including spinal surgery), a neurosurgeon is called on.
How much will you make as a neurosurgeon?
A neurosurgeon earns anywhere from $200,000 to $800,000+ per year depending on experience and bonuses.
Salary of a neurosurgeon in the USA
In the United States, a high paid neurosurgeon should expect to earn a salary ranging from $580,000 to $800,000+ per year. A neurosurgeon with less than 5 years of experience on the job should expect to earn about $ 412,000 per year on average. For neurosurgeons with 9 to 18 years working experience, they can expect an average neurosurgeon salary of about $500,000 per year. Those with 20+ years of experience should expect to have a yearly salary of about $550,000+
Salary of Neurosurgeon in Canada
For a neurosurgeon resident in Canada, the average annual salary will be anywhere from $155,000 to $300,000 (Canadian dollar) per annum. A neurosurgeon’s average median salary in Canada is about $250,000.
Salary of Neurosurgeon in the UK
In the United Kingdom, a neurosurgeon should expect to earn an annual average salary of about £85,000. The median salary is about £102,000 per year. The salary varies based on age and experience of the surgeon and range from £64,000 entry salary to about £100,000+ per annum.
Salary of Neurosurgeons in Australia
Australian neurosurgeons have an annual salary of about AU$51,000 to AU$210,000. They also have additional attractive bonuses which ramps up their salary significantly.
How to become a neurosurgeon
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
Please Call 844-289-5375 to speak to a customer representative.
- Surgical Technology - Associate
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- Within 6 months of graduation, over 90% of new graduates land jobs in their fields of study.
- Offers an $18k College Completer Scholarship for transferring students who meet requirements.
- All professors hold advanced degrees, many with MBAs and PhDs.
- Classes start every 8 weeks, and curriculum is updated regularly with input from industry leaders.
- More than 85% of students receive financial aid in the form of scholarships and grants.
- Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (HLC/NCA).
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you're going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that's focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination.
Please Call 855-816-4001 to speak to a customer representative.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
Nursing@Simmons, the innovative, online nursing degree program from Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences prepares Registered Nurses for the next stage of their careers.
The education required to become a neurosurgeon is extremely demanding and requires a very dedicated type of person to complete. You are required to complete 4 years of medical school and an additional 6 – 10 years of residency to become specialized in neurosurgeon.
Having an undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite to entering medical school but it is almost a guarantee you won’t get in without one. Most applicants have an undergraduate degree. Admission into medical school is one of the most competitive of any field. It includes submitting test scores from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), letters of recommendation and going through multiple and rigorous interviews.
Another aspect to consider is the cost of education. It is very expensive to attend medical school. However, if you graduate, it is quite easy to quickly pay off the debt once you work for a number of years.
A neurosurgeon salary is one of the most attractive salaries in the workforce but the process to become a neurosurgeon is also one of the most demanding and difficult in education.