A neurosurgeon is a specialist surgeon and commands and very high salary. The average neurosurgeon salary is $368,000 without bonuses. With bonuses, the average salary is just over$500,000. A neurosurgeon is also called a brain surgeon. How much you earn differs greatly depending on a number of factors including who employers you, how experienced you are, geographical demography and area of specialization. According to salary.com, the lowest 10 percentile earns about $243,000 and the top 10 percentile earns about $461,000. The median neurosurgeon salary is about $340,000. With several years of surgical experience, a neurosurgeon can earn anywhere from $500,000 to $700,000 per annum.
Job description of a neurosurgeon
What do neurosurgeons do? They are physicians that specialize in performing brain and spinal surgery. There are specializations in the field of neurosurgery including brain surgery, spinal neurosurgery etc. A neurosurgeon is responsible for examining, diagnosing and treatment of various neurological conditions in the patient. They may prescribe medication or perform surgical procedures on the patient to treat ailments. Whenever a surgery is to be performed on the brain and the nervous system (including spinal surgery), a neurosurgeon is called on.
How much will you make as a neurosurgeon?
A neurosurgeon earns anywhere from $200,000 to $800,000+ per year depending on experience and bonuses.
Salary of a neurosurgeon in the USA
In the United States, a high paid neurosurgeon should expect to earn a salary ranging from $580,000 to $800,000+ per year. A neurosurgeon with less than 5 years of experience on the job should expect to earn about $ 412,000 per year on average. For neurosurgeons with 9 to 18 years working experience, they can expect an average neurosurgeon salary of about $500,000 per year. Those with 20+ years of experience should expect to have a yearly salary of about $550,000+
Salary of Neurosurgeon in Canada
For a neurosurgeon resident in Canada, the average annual salary will be anywhere from $155,000 to $300,000 (Canadian dollar) per annum. A neurosurgeon’s average median salary in Canada is about $250,000.
Salary of Neurosurgeon in the UK
In the United Kingdom, a neurosurgeon should expect to earn an annual average salary of about £85,000. The median salary is about £102,000 per year. The salary varies based on age and experience of the surgeon and range from £64,000 entry salary to about £100,000+ per annum.
Salary of Neurosurgeons in Australia
Australian neurosurgeons have an annual salary of about AU$51,000 to AU$210,000. They also have additional attractive bonuses which ramps up their salary significantly.
How to become a neurosurgeon
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) can help get you from here to a new career!
Miller- Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Sterile Processing Technology
- And more...
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees available in a wide range of fields.
- Flexible online programs offered in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Education, and more.
- Assigned Financial Services Advisors to help answer student financial questions.
- Servicemembers and their spouses can apply for the Ashford Military Grant to reduce tuition for all undergraduate courses.
- B/S Health Information Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor?s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Informatics
- MS in Nursing - Informatics
- IMBA - Healthcare Informatics
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.
New England College was founded in 1946 to educate soldiers coming home from war. The same great support system that welcomed returning GIs is still a hallmark of NEC today. From enrollment services representatives who’ll guide you through the application process to interactive tools that help you collaborate with instructors and classmates, NEC inspires you to reach the milestones of your educational journey.
- BS in Healthcare Administration/Health Informatics
Study for your graduate education with University of Illinois at Chicago. We offer master’s degree and post-master’s certificate programs in health informatics that can be completed 100% online.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics
The education required to become a neurosurgeon is extremely demanding and requires a very dedicated type of person to complete. You are required to complete 4 years of medical school and an additional 6 – 10 years of residency to become specialized in neurosurgeon.
Having an undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite to entering medical school but it is almost a guarantee you won’t get in without one. Most applicants have an undergraduate degree. Admission into medical school is one of the most competitive of any field. It includes submitting test scores from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), letters of recommendation and going through multiple and rigorous interviews.
Another aspect to consider is the cost of education. It is very expensive to attend medical school. However, if you graduate, it is quite easy to quickly pay off the debt once you work for a number of years.
A neurosurgeon salary is one of the most attractive salaries in the workforce but the process to become a neurosurgeon is also one of the most demanding and difficult in education.