A neurosurgeon is a specialist surgeon and commands and very high salary. The average neurosurgeon salary is $368,000 without bonuses. With bonuses, the average salary is just over$500,000. A neurosurgeon is also called a brain surgeon. How much you earn differs greatly depending on a number of factors including who employers you, how experienced you are, geographical demography and area of specialization. According to salary.com, the lowest 10 percentile earns about $243,000 and the top 10 percentile earns about $461,000. The median neurosurgeon salary is about $340,000. With several years of surgical experience, a neurosurgeon can earn anywhere from $500,000 to $700,000 per annum.
Job description of a neurosurgeon
What do neurosurgeons do? They are physicians that specialize in performing brain and spinal surgery. There are specializations in the field of neurosurgery including brain surgery, spinal neurosurgery etc. A neurosurgeon is responsible for examining, diagnosing and treatment of various neurological conditions in the patient. They may prescribe medication or perform surgical procedures on the patient to treat ailments. Whenever a surgery is to be performed on the brain and the nervous system (including spinal surgery), a neurosurgeon is called on.
How much will you make as a neurosurgeon?
A neurosurgeon earns anywhere from $200,000 to $800,000+ per year depending on experience and bonuses.
Salary of a neurosurgeon in the USA
In the United States, a high paid neurosurgeon should expect to earn a salary ranging from $580,000 to $800,000+ per year. A neurosurgeon with less than 5 years of experience on the job should expect to earn about $ 412,000 per year on average. For neurosurgeons with 9 to 18 years working experience, they can expect an average neurosurgeon salary of about $500,000 per year. Those with 20+ years of experience should expect to have a yearly salary of about $550,000+
Salary of Neurosurgeon in Canada
For a neurosurgeon resident in Canada, the average annual salary will be anywhere from $155,000 to $300,000 (Canadian dollar) per annum. A neurosurgeon’s average median salary in Canada is about $250,000.
Salary of Neurosurgeon in the UK
In the United Kingdom, a neurosurgeon should expect to earn an annual average salary of about £85,000. The median salary is about £102,000 per year. The salary varies based on age and experience of the surgeon and range from £64,000 entry salary to about £100,000+ per annum.
Salary of Neurosurgeons in Australia
Australian neurosurgeons have an annual salary of about AU$51,000 to AU$210,000. They also have additional attractive bonuses which ramps up their salary significantly.
How to become a neurosurgeon
- See how you could play a crucial role in healthcare with a Medical Assisting degree
- This degree program is available in both English and Spanish
- Offers scholarships to qualified active-duty personnel, retirees & dependents
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Associate of Science in Surgical Technology
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
The education required to become a neurosurgeon is extremely demanding and requires a very dedicated type of person to complete. You are required to complete 4 years of medical school and an additional 6 – 10 years of residency to become specialized in neurosurgeon.
Having an undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite to entering medical school but it is almost a guarantee you won’t get in without one. Most applicants have an undergraduate degree. Admission into medical school is one of the most competitive of any field. It includes submitting test scores from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), letters of recommendation and going through multiple and rigorous interviews.
Another aspect to consider is the cost of education. It is very expensive to attend medical school. However, if you graduate, it is quite easy to quickly pay off the debt once you work for a number of years.
A neurosurgeon salary is one of the most attractive salaries in the workforce but the process to become a neurosurgeon is also one of the most demanding and difficult in education.