The median oncologist salary is reported to be $266,000 per year. But how much they actually earn is dependent on many different factors. Factors such as geographical location, type of establishment, size of establishment and number of years of experience all play a part in determining their salary. Basically as an Oncologist, you should expect to earn anywhere from $165,000 to 412,000. Senior partners can expect to earn much more than that. What is an Oncologist? They are Physicians specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with cancerous tumors.
Job description of an oncologist
What does an Oncologist do? An Oncologist is basically the cancer doctor. They diagnose and treat patients with cancerous cells. They spend a large part of their day administering chemotherapy to patients. They also help patients who are in pain and suffering from cancer that cannot be cured.
There are other sub-specialties of Oncology. A surgical Oncologist receive extra fellowship in surgery so they can perform surgical procedures on cancer patients as part of their treatment. They focus on using surgical procedures to remove tumors from patients. Radiation Oncologists use therapeutic radiation such as chemotherapy to treat cancer patients. Their method of treatment is referred to as radiotherapy.
Oncologists also help patients emotionally deal with cancer and the side effects of treatment such as nausea. There are other sub-specialties in Oncology Oncologist, Veterinary Oncologist and Pediatric Oncologist.
How much does an Oncologist earn?
In the United Sates, the median salary of an Oncologist is reported to be about $266,000 without bonuses. This works out to about $128 per hour. When you consider bonuses, the figure rises to about $280,000 median salary.
The lowest 10th percentile earns a salary of about $165,000 and the highest 10th percentile earns about $412,000 on average per year. The middle 50% of people employed in this field earns about anywhere from $210,000 to $345,000. These figures are without bonuses. When you add bonuses, the lowest 10th percentile earns about $170,000 and the highest 10th percentile about $425,000. The middle 50% earns from $222,000 to $355,000 including bonuses.
Other than their salaries, there are other benefits such as paid holidays, Social security contributions, 401K, healthcare and pension contributions.
Oncologist salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
Oncologist in Canada earn a median salary of about CA$42,000 to CA$240,000. How much you earn depends on years of experience and place of work.
The average Oncologist salary in the United Kingdom (UK) is about £60,000 per year. Oncologists working as NHS consultants can expect a median salary of about £97,000 and a high end salary of about £250,000.
The average Oncology salary for an Oncologist in Australia is about AU$200,000. Salaries can range from AU$45,000 to AU$350,000 depending on years of experience and level of employment as well as type of establishment.
Salary of a Pediatric Oncologist
Visit our Pediatric Oncologist Salary page for more information about how much money they can expect to earn and what their job involves.
How to become an oncologist
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
An oncologist is a Physician (medical doctor) and therefore undergoes the same level of education as other physicians. They are required to complete medical school. Getting into medical school is very competitive. Although not a pre-requisite, you can almost certain not enter medical school without a 4 year undergraduate program. As such you should enroll in a 4 year undergraduate degree program preferably in related fields. To process to become an Oncologist is outlined below:
- Enroll into a 4 year undergraduate program. A major in pre-med will be the best major but is not a requirement. You will however need to take the pre-requisite subjects such as biology, chemistry and physics.
- You should then take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). This should be taken during your junior year of college.
- Apply for and gain entry into medical school. Medical school will last for 4 years and you will end up with a medical degree. Part of your time in medical school will be spent in medical institutions such as hospitals and clinics.
- The next step is to do your residency work. This is the part where you specialize to become an Oncologist. When you are done with this you will be required to take the license exams and board certification exams in order to become and practice Oncology.
- If you plan on become a sub-specialist in Oncology, you will have to acquire an additional 2-3 years training in that specialty. Some sub-specialties are Pediatric Oncology, Gynecological Oncologist and surgical oncologist.
Conclusions drawn about Oncologist salary
As you can see, becoming an oncologist is a long and hard process and it takes a special kind of dedicated person to become one. However an oncologist salary is a very attractive one and a good reward for all the hard work. But an even better reward is the satisfaction of saving lives.