Orthopedic doctors are health care professionals who specialize in the treatment of the musculo-skeletal system. Simply put, these doctors manage various conditions of the ligaments, the muscles, the tendons and the connective tissues, and sometimes they specialize in the correction of various birth defects. These professionals repair broken bones, torn ligaments and cartilages, and the annual salary of an orthopedic physician is between $369,000 and $610,000, depending on various factors such as training or the area where the professional resides and works.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States
There are major disparities in the salaries of orthopedic surgeons and physicians across the US, depending on their work locations. At the time being, one of the states with the highest average salaries for orthopedic surgeons is New York, where these professionals are paid with more than $490,000 a year. After New York, the cities of Los Angeles and Boston also pay orthopedic surgeons mean yearly wages of over $460,000 a year. At the opposite end, there are the cities of Davenport and Mississippi, where these health care professionals usually receive between $390,000 and $399,000 on a yearly basis.
Orthopedic Doctor Job Description
An orthopedic doctor treats patients of all ages who suffer from various conditions, from those who need artificial hips to those with broken arms. These professionals can order diagnostic tests such as X-rays to have a closer look at broken bones, and they also order and analyze blood tests. The surgeon can cast and splint limbs, can prescribe supplements and medications for pain management and for strengthening the joint, can reattach the tendons and ligaments, perform hip replacements and joint replacements and so on.
Orthopedic surgeons work closely with their patients, examine them and order various tests of the musculo-skeletal systems, including arthroscopies and MRIs. These doctors also treat fractures and dislocations, along with other conditions of the bones and muscles such as scoliosis, pulled muscles, ruptured discs, sciatica, hammer toes, osteoporosis, arthritis, muscular dystrophy, bone tumors as well as cerebral palsy and many other similar conditions.
The duties and responsibilities of the orthopedic surgeons are many, including performing surgical and non-surgical procedures, supervising the training and education of medical students and residents, making diagnoses, recommending surgeries, evaluating the patients before and after the surgeries, closely monitoring the evolution of their condition and so on.
How To Become An Orthopedic Doctor?
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Health Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
Orthopedic doctors go through as much as one decade of training in the medical field, before they are allowed to operate on their patients. To start from the beginning, if you want to become an orthopedic doctor you firstly need to get a Bachelorțs Degree either in biology or pre-medical studies. After that, you can enroll in a four-year medical school where you will closely study physiology, anatomy, biochemistry as well as pharmacology. After you graduate from the med school, you will continue your training through no less than five years of residency education (one year is usually general medical surgery followed by four years in orthopedic surgery alone).
You need to be certified in order to work as an orthopedic surgeon in the US, and the requirements vary from one state to another. However, the main rules and requirements are somehow the same, as all doctors are required to have a degree provided by an approved medical school, to have gone through an approved residency program followed by a licensing exam. The Board Certification is offered by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Orthopedic Doctor Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
An orthopedic doctor who works in Canada should expect to make anywhere between CAD 84,000 and CAD 315,000, while one from the UK usually earns a mean yearly wage between 29,000 and 97,000 pounds. An Australian orthopedic doctor should expect to make between Au$98,000 and Au$304,000 a year.
Verdict On Orthopedic Doctor Salary
To conclude, orthopedic doctors are undoubtedly amongst the highest paid physicians in the medical field. In spite of the fact that the training may take as much as 10 years including the residency training, all the hard work will certainly pay off given the fact that in some parts of the United States, an orthopedic doctor can make more than $600,000 a year.