The pediatrician salary varies depending on many factors. Factors such as place of employment (private practice, hospital or public sector), size of institution, location of job, number of years of experience as a pediatrician and specialization. The average annual salary is around $176,000. In hourly terms, the earnings come around to an average of $85 per hour. The highest 10th percentile earns about $230,000 per annum or $115 per hour. Although a physician, a pediatrician salary is not one of the highest out there but still a very satisfying career to pursue.
Job description of a pediatrician
A pediatrician is just like any other medical doctor. They undergo the same education taking the same courses in medical school. Only that during their residency they decide to specialize in pediatrics.
In simple terms what a pediatrician does is specialize in the treatment of children and babies. The difference between a pediatrician and an obstetrician is that the later takes care of unborn babies until they are born then a pediatrician takes over.
What does a pediatrician do? They take care of a baby’s and children’s medical needs. From the treatment of minor injuries and general sicknesses such a cold and flu to major surgery. From playground injuries to serious accidents in children, the pediatrician takes care of it. They are generally very good with kids. Basically if a child gets sick or is injured, a pediatrician is the first point of call.
How much does a pediatrician make?
Want to find out how much pediatricians make? The answer is not very much compared to say a neurologist salary or radiologist salary. But it is still a well-paying job and a very satisfying one considering that you get to work with children every day. On average, a pediatrician earns about $176,000 compared to over $300,000 for a radiologist. The median 50% makes between $150,000 and $210,000. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $130,000 per annum and the highest 10th percentile earns about $237,000 per annum. The above figures are for those working in the United States
Pediatrician salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Canada, a pediatrician salary about CA$130,000 per year. The range is from CA$60,000 – CA$200,000 depending on experience and other factors.
In the United Kingdom (UK) pediatricians earn about £105,000 per annum on average. The lowest percentile earns about 80,000 and the highest percentile earns about 160,000. This is in line with all NHS consulting physicians regardless of specialty.
In Australia, the average median annual salary of a pediatrician is AU$105,000. The range is between AU$30,000 to Au$163,000.
How to become a pediatrician
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
Pediatricians are physicians and therefore undergo the same training as other physicians. To become a physician, you will need to complete 4 years of medical school. An undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite for entering into medical school but with the competitive nature of admissions, you will most likely not get admitted without one. So you will need 4 years of undergraduate work and 4 years of medical school to become a physician.
To become a pediatrician, you will need to select this specialty and undergo about 4 – 6 years of residency. You will then need to be licensed by either a national examination board or state board in order to practice. It is a long road to become a pediatrician but the rewards can be worth it.
To conclude, the figures we have given above for a pediatrician salary are for general pediatricians. There are specialized pediatricians that earn different salaries to those given above.