The pediatrician salary varies depending on many factors. Factors such as place of employment (private practice, hospital or public sector), size of institution, location of job, number of years of experience as a pediatrician and specialization. The average annual salary is around $176,000. In hourly terms, the earnings come around to an average of $85 per hour. The highest 10th percentile earns about $230,000 per annum or $115 per hour. Although a physician, a pediatrician salary is not one of the highest out there but still a very satisfying career to pursue.
Job description of a pediatrician
A pediatrician is just like any other medical doctor. They undergo the same education taking the same courses in medical school. Only that during their residency they decide to specialize in pediatrics.
In simple terms what a pediatrician does is specialize in the treatment of children and babies. The difference between a pediatrician and an obstetrician is that the later takes care of unborn babies until they are born then a pediatrician takes over.
What does a pediatrician do? They take care of a baby’s and children’s medical needs. From the treatment of minor injuries and general sicknesses such a cold and flu to major surgery. From playground injuries to serious accidents in children, the pediatrician takes care of it. They are generally very good with kids. Basically if a child gets sick or is injured, a pediatrician is the first point of call.
How much does a pediatrician make?
Want to find out how much pediatricians make? The answer is not very much compared to say a neurologist salary or radiologist salary. But it is still a well-paying job and a very satisfying one considering that you get to work with children every day. On average, a pediatrician earns about $176,000 compared to over $300,000 for a radiologist. The median 50% makes between $150,000 and $210,000. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $130,000 per annum and the highest 10th percentile earns about $237,000 per annum. The above figures are for those working in the United States
Pediatrician salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Canada, a pediatrician salary about CA$130,000 per year. The range is from CA$60,000 – CA$200,000 depending on experience and other factors.
In the United Kingdom (UK) pediatricians earn about £105,000 per annum on average. The lowest percentile earns about 80,000 and the highest percentile earns about 160,000. This is in line with all NHS consulting physicians regardless of specialty.
In Australia, the average median annual salary of a pediatrician is AU$105,000. The range is between AU$30,000 to Au$163,000.
How to become a pediatrician
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor's
- Healthcare Management
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
- Dental Assistant Diploma
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Pediatricians are physicians and therefore undergo the same training as other physicians. To become a physician, you will need to complete 4 years of medical school. An undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite for entering into medical school but with the competitive nature of admissions, you will most likely not get admitted without one. So you will need 4 years of undergraduate work and 4 years of medical school to become a physician.
To become a pediatrician, you will need to select this specialty and undergo about 4 – 6 years of residency. You will then need to be licensed by either a national examination board or state board in order to practice. It is a long road to become a pediatrician but the rewards can be worth it.
To conclude, the figures we have given above for a pediatrician salary are for general pediatricians. There are specialized pediatricians that earn different salaries to those given above.