The pediatrician salary varies depending on many factors. Factors such as place of employment (private practice, hospital or public sector), size of institution, location of job, number of years of experience as a pediatrician and specialization. The average annual salary is around $176,000. In hourly terms, the earnings come around to an average of $85 per hour. The highest 10th percentile earns about $230,000 per annum or $115 per hour. Although a physician, a pediatrician salary is not one of the highest out there but still a very satisfying career to pursue.
Job description of a pediatrician
A pediatrician is just like any other medical doctor. They undergo the same education taking the same courses in medical school. Only that during their residency they decide to specialize in pediatrics.
In simple terms what a pediatrician does is specialize in the treatment of children and babies. The difference between a pediatrician and an obstetrician is that the later takes care of unborn babies until they are born then a pediatrician takes over.
What does a pediatrician do? They take care of a baby’s and children’s medical needs. From the treatment of minor injuries and general sicknesses such a cold and flu to major surgery. From playground injuries to serious accidents in children, the pediatrician takes care of it. They are generally very good with kids. Basically if a child gets sick or is injured, a pediatrician is the first point of call.
How much does a pediatrician make?
Want to find out how much pediatricians make? The answer is not very much compared to say a neurologist salary or radiologist salary. But it is still a well-paying job and a very satisfying one considering that you get to work with children every day. On average, a pediatrician earns about $176,000 compared to over $300,000 for a radiologist. The median 50% makes between $150,000 and $210,000. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $130,000 per annum and the highest 10th percentile earns about $237,000 per annum. The above figures are for those working in the United States
Pediatrician salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Canada, a pediatrician salary about CA$130,000 per year. The range is from CA$60,000 – CA$200,000 depending on experience and other factors.
In the United Kingdom (UK) pediatricians earn about £105,000 per annum on average. The lowest percentile earns about 80,000 and the highest percentile earns about 160,000. This is in line with all NHS consulting physicians regardless of specialty.
In Australia, the average median annual salary of a pediatrician is AU$105,000. The range is between AU$30,000 to Au$163,000.
How to become a pediatrician
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Accelerated)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Office Administration
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Medical Assistant
At UEI College, we want you to succeed. We’re like a family and we want you to be a part of it. From the moment you enter ourschool, to graduation and beyond, we are right there with you.
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Patient Care Technician (10-month diploma program)
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month diploma program)
Medical Career Institute in Ocean, NJ is your one-stop-shop for medical career training in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Medical Career Institute is approved by the United States Department of Education and the New Jersey Departments of Education and Labor and Workforce Development. Offering both morning and evening classes in addition to financial aid assistance to those who qualify. The school is accredited by ABHES and CAAHEP, ensuring the quality and level of education meets the highest standards.
- Clincial Assistant
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Coding and Billing
Pediatricians are physicians and therefore undergo the same training as other physicians. To become a physician, you will need to complete 4 years of medical school. An undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite for entering into medical school but with the competitive nature of admissions, you will most likely not get admitted without one. So you will need 4 years of undergraduate work and 4 years of medical school to become a physician.
To become a pediatrician, you will need to select this specialty and undergo about 4 – 6 years of residency. You will then need to be licensed by either a national examination board or state board in order to practice. It is a long road to become a pediatrician but the rewards can be worth it.
To conclude, the figures we have given above for a pediatrician salary are for general pediatricians. There are specialized pediatricians that earn different salaries to those given above.