The pediatrician salary varies depending on many factors. Factors such as place of employment (private practice, hospital or public sector), size of institution, location of job, number of years of experience as a pediatrician and specialization. The average annual salary is around $176,000. In hourly terms, the earnings come around to an average of $85 per hour. The highest 10th percentile earns about $230,000 per annum or $115 per hour. Although a physician, a pediatrician salary is not one of the highest out there but still a very satisfying career to pursue.
Job description of a pediatrician
A pediatrician is just like any other medical doctor. They undergo the same education taking the same courses in medical school. Only that during their residency they decide to specialize in pediatrics.
In simple terms what a pediatrician does is specialize in the treatment of children and babies. The difference between a pediatrician and an obstetrician is that the later takes care of unborn babies until they are born then a pediatrician takes over.
What does a pediatrician do? They take care of a baby’s and children’s medical needs. From the treatment of minor injuries and general sicknesses such a cold and flu to major surgery. From playground injuries to serious accidents in children, the pediatrician takes care of it. They are generally very good with kids. Basically if a child gets sick or is injured, a pediatrician is the first point of call.
How much does a pediatrician make?
Want to find out how much pediatricians make? The answer is not very much compared to say a neurologist salary or radiologist salary. But it is still a well-paying job and a very satisfying one considering that you get to work with children every day. On average, a pediatrician earns about $176,000 compared to over $300,000 for a radiologist. The median 50% makes between $150,000 and $210,000. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $130,000 per annum and the highest 10th percentile earns about $237,000 per annum. The above figures are for those working in the United States
Pediatrician salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Canada, a pediatrician salary about CA$130,000 per year. The range is from CA$60,000 – CA$200,000 depending on experience and other factors.
In the United Kingdom (UK) pediatricians earn about £105,000 per annum on average. The lowest percentile earns about 80,000 and the highest percentile earns about 160,000. This is in line with all NHS consulting physicians regardless of specialty.
In Australia, the average median annual salary of a pediatrician is AU$105,000. The range is between AU$30,000 to Au$163,000.
How to become a pediatrician
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BS/Nursing (RN to BSN)
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- MA/Health Care Administration
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- BS Health Science
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Doctor of Health Science
- Master of Science in Nursing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- And more...
Pediatricians are physicians and therefore undergo the same training as other physicians. To become a physician, you will need to complete 4 years of medical school. An undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite for entering into medical school but with the competitive nature of admissions, you will most likely not get admitted without one. So you will need 4 years of undergraduate work and 4 years of medical school to become a physician.
To become a pediatrician, you will need to select this specialty and undergo about 4 – 6 years of residency. You will then need to be licensed by either a national examination board or state board in order to practice. It is a long road to become a pediatrician but the rewards can be worth it.
To conclude, the figures we have given above for a pediatrician salary are for general pediatricians. There are specialized pediatricians that earn different salaries to those given above.