The pediatrician salary varies depending on many factors. Factors such as place of employment (private practice, hospital or public sector), size of institution, location of job, number of years of experience as a pediatrician and specialization. The average annual salary is around $176,000. In hourly terms, the earnings come around to an average of $85 per hour. The highest 10th percentile earns about $230,000 per annum or $115 per hour. Although a physician, a pediatrician salary is not one of the highest out there but still a very satisfying career to pursue.
Job description of a pediatrician
A pediatrician is just like any other medical doctor. They undergo the same education taking the same courses in medical school. Only that during their residency they decide to specialize in pediatrics.
In simple terms what a pediatrician does is specialize in the treatment of children and babies. The difference between a pediatrician and an obstetrician is that the later takes care of unborn babies until they are born then a pediatrician takes over.
What does a pediatrician do? They take care of a baby’s and children’s medical needs. From the treatment of minor injuries and general sicknesses such a cold and flu to major surgery. From playground injuries to serious accidents in children, the pediatrician takes care of it. They are generally very good with kids. Basically if a child gets sick or is injured, a pediatrician is the first point of call.
How much does a pediatrician make?
Want to find out how much pediatricians make? The answer is not very much compared to say a neurologist salary or radiologist salary. But it is still a well-paying job and a very satisfying one considering that you get to work with children every day. On average, a pediatrician earns about $176,000 compared to over $300,000 for a radiologist. The median 50% makes between $150,000 and $210,000. The lowest 10th percentile earns about $130,000 per annum and the highest 10th percentile earns about $237,000 per annum. The above figures are for those working in the United States
Pediatrician salary in other countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
In Canada, a pediatrician salary about CA$130,000 per year. The range is from CA$60,000 – CA$200,000 depending on experience and other factors.
In the United Kingdom (UK) pediatricians earn about £105,000 per annum on average. The lowest percentile earns about 80,000 and the highest percentile earns about 160,000. This is in line with all NHS consulting physicians regardless of specialty.
In Australia, the average median annual salary of a pediatrician is AU$105,000. The range is between AU$30,000 to Au$163,000.
How to become a pediatrician
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Health Care Bachelor's and Master's Degrees Online From Grand Canyon University
- Develop entry-level skills, prepare to switch to a health care career or strengthen your current skill set.
- Comprehensive lessons & valuable classwork to prepare health care students for their future careers.
- Online classes provide you the flexibility to earn your health care degree from anywhere.
- Curriculum designed by health care industry experts.
- GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions has a mission to promote health & wellness for all patients.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- B.S. in Health Care Administration
- And more...
WELCOME TO PURDUE UNIVERSITY GLOBAL
World-Class Education Tailored for Working Adults
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience tailored for working adults.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science in Nursing - MSN/MBA Dual Degree Option
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BS Healthcare Administration
- Master of Science in Healthcare Administration
- BS Healthcare Administration with concentration in Healthcare Information Management
- And more...
Build a better future for yourself—and the world. This is the place where students graduate not only poised for career success—but also ready to make a difference in their communities.
- Post Masters Certificate Nursing
- Doctoral Nursing
- Masters Healthcare
- And more...
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
Pediatricians are physicians and therefore undergo the same training as other physicians. To become a physician, you will need to complete 4 years of medical school. An undergraduate degree is not a pre-requisite for entering into medical school but with the competitive nature of admissions, you will most likely not get admitted without one. So you will need 4 years of undergraduate work and 4 years of medical school to become a physician.
To become a pediatrician, you will need to select this specialty and undergo about 4 – 6 years of residency. You will then need to be licensed by either a national examination board or state board in order to practice. It is a long road to become a pediatrician but the rewards can be worth it.
To conclude, the figures we have given above for a pediatrician salary are for general pediatricians. There are specialized pediatricians that earn different salaries to those given above.