The average annual physiatrist salary in the United States is reported to be about $207,000 per year or about $99 per hour. The top 10th percentile of physician physiatrists reported a salary of $255,000 or more per year, which works out to about $123 or more per year. The lowest 10th percentile of physiatrists reported earnings of $167,000 or lower per year or about $80 or lower per hour. The middle 50 percent of this profession reported salary ranging from $185,000 to $233,000 per year or about $89 to $112 per hour. Compared to other physicians, a physiatrist salary is quite competitive though not as high as say a neurosurgeon salary. It is very common to see very experienced physiatrists reporting wages in excess of $420,000 per year.
As with a lot of other professions, the salary of a physiatrist can be affected by several different factors. Factors such as years of experience, number of hours worked, type of establishment, geographical location of establishment and education all play a big role in determining the income of a physiatrist. Most employers also pay out benefits. Benefits such as social security, pension, 401K, bonuses, healthcare benefits and paid time off mean that the total remuneration package for a physiatrist be as high as an average of $280,000 per year.
Job description of a physiatrist
What does a physiatrist do? They are physicians that specialize in the use of physical agents and exercise to treat patients. Their mode of treatment is non-surgical and relies primarily on physical methods of treatment. They specialize in non-surgical physical medicine. Their primary patients are those with physical disabilities. Physiatrists diagnose and treat injuries and conditions.
They often work with a team and the patient to provide personalized treatment methods for the patient. The aim of treatment is to provide improved quality of life for their patient. The scope of treatment may involve working to improve every aspect of the patient’s life. Some common conditions that a physiatrist may treat include brain and spinal cord injuries, stroke and extensive burns. They may also treat spine and other sports injuries and other musculoskeletal conditions.
They diagnose patients with the aid of electro diagnostic medicine. This is used to determine areas of muscle and nerve damage.
How much does a physiatrist earn on average?
In the United States, the average annual physiatrist salary is about $207,000 per year. Number of years of experience can also play a role in how much a physiatrist makes. Those just entering the profession can expect a salary of about $184,000 per year on average. Those with 5 – 9 years of experience can expect a salary of about $220,000 per year on average. Those with more than 1 years of experience in the field can expect an average annual wage of about $224,000.
Physiatrist salary in other countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
In Canada, the average annual physiatrist salary is between C$36,000 and C$185,000 per year. The median salary in terms of hours is about $18 per hour.
For physiatrists working in the United Kingdom (UK), the average salary is reported to be about £94,000 per year.
Physiatrists working in Australia can expect an average annual salary between AU$11,000 and AU$80,000 per year.
How to become a physiatrist
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Looking for an Online Nursing Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree
- Get Matched to Top Nursing Degree Programs RIGHT NOW for FREE!
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love … in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Classes start November 13!
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
Physiatrists are physicians and must therefore complete medical school. The first step in becoming a physiatrist is to obtain an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Your focus should be on pre-med or other science related subjects.
After obtaining your bachelor’s degree, the next step is to get into medical school. You need to be admitted into and complete a 4-year accredited medical degree program.
After completing medical school, you will take a one year internship followed by three years of residency training in physiatry.
All states require physiatrists to be licensed before they can practice.
Verdict on physiatrist salary
In the United States, the average annual income of a physiatrist is about $207,000. Those with their own private practice usually earn higher than those employed by others.