The median annual physiologist salary for a worker in the United States is about $46,300. This is roughly $22 per hour. This is a comfortable salary for anyone. Professionals who are just starting out, those in the lowest 10th percentile, may expect to earn a bit lower. The annual salaries for these physiologists are about $37,000 or less, or $17 or less per hour. However, experienced physiologists working in the top 10th percentile can expect to earn a pretty penny. Their salaries should equal $60,000 or higher, which is equal to about $29 per hour or higher. For the best range of salaries, the middle 50% of physiologists are making anywhere from $40,000 to $54,000 every year. This is an hourly rate of between $20 and $26.
Many factors determine the differences in pay-grades for physiologists. These may include experience, education, and geographical location, among others. These factors usually determine salary differences in most careers.
Benefits entitled to a physiologist may include social security, health care, paid time off, and others. The total compensation package for a physiologist, after benefits, could equal $67,000 on average.
Job Description of a Physiologist
Physiology is a branch of science that focuses on living organisms. Physiologists will work to determine the biological and mechanical functions of various organisms, as well as how they relate to their environments.
A variety of tasks can be taken up by a physiologist. Laboratory functions may include the physiologist working with a variety of organisms. These may include animals, plants, or microorganisms. Cellular structure, physiological makeup, mechanical and biological functions may all be studied within the laboratory.
A special branch of physiology allows for a career known as exercise physiologists. These professionals will administer medical tests and examinations based on a person’s health to help that person’s health improve over time.
How to become a Physiologist
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration and Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Doctor of Health Science
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- AAS - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Assistant
- DIP - Medical Billing and Coding
- And more...
- Healthcare Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
An aspiring physiologist may decide to obtain only a master’s degree. Jobs are still available to these people in research, management, or technical aspects of the field. However, the vast majority of occupations within physiology require a doctorate. This is why most aspiring physiologists go the extra mile and obtain their Ph.D. in physiology or a related field.
With these necessary requirements, a student can expect to spend four years earning a bachelor’s degree – usually in the field of biological sciences. Another four to five years after that degree will earn a student his or her Ph.D. That’s a total of eight to nine years of training and schooling.
Physiologist Salaries in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
The average physiologist salary is actually higher in some other countries outside the U.S. A Canadian physiologist may expect to earn an average annual salary of C$57,000. Australia offers about the same salary for a physiologist. There, they should expect to earn an average income of A$55,000 per year.
The same holds true for physiologists working in the United Kingdom. U.K. professionals in physiology should expect an annual salary of £35,000 on average. This equates to roughly $56,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Physiologist Salary
The salary involved in the field of physiology can be quite lucrative. Of course, there shouldn’t ever be six figure salaries, and income certainly doesn’t equal that of the medical field, but the sciences can be very lucrative, too. Starting salaries are usually rather high compared to starting salaries throughout the various professional fields. Overall, it’s a very lucrative field to work in.