The median annual physiologist salary for a worker in the United States is about $46,300. This is roughly $22 per hour. This is a comfortable salary for anyone. Professionals who are just starting out, those in the lowest 10th percentile, may expect to earn a bit lower. The annual salaries for these physiologists are about $37,000 or less, or $17 or less per hour. However, experienced physiologists working in the top 10th percentile can expect to earn a pretty penny. Their salaries should equal $60,000 or higher, which is equal to about $29 per hour or higher. For the best range of salaries, the middle 50% of physiologists are making anywhere from $40,000 to $54,000 every year. This is an hourly rate of between $20 and $26.
Many factors determine the differences in pay-grades for physiologists. These may include experience, education, and geographical location, among others. These factors usually determine salary differences in most careers.
Benefits entitled to a physiologist may include social security, health care, paid time off, and others. The total compensation package for a physiologist, after benefits, could equal $67,000 on average.
Job Description of a Physiologist
Physiology is a branch of science that focuses on living organisms. Physiologists will work to determine the biological and mechanical functions of various organisms, as well as how they relate to their environments.
A variety of tasks can be taken up by a physiologist. Laboratory functions may include the physiologist working with a variety of organisms. These may include animals, plants, or microorganisms. Cellular structure, physiological makeup, mechanical and biological functions may all be studied within the laboratory.
A special branch of physiology allows for a career known as exercise physiologists. These professionals will administer medical tests and examinations based on a person’s health to help that person’s health improve over time.
How to become a Physiologist
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Allied Health Management
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- And more...
An aspiring physiologist may decide to obtain only a master’s degree. Jobs are still available to these people in research, management, or technical aspects of the field. However, the vast majority of occupations within physiology require a doctorate. This is why most aspiring physiologists go the extra mile and obtain their Ph.D. in physiology or a related field.
With these necessary requirements, a student can expect to spend four years earning a bachelor’s degree – usually in the field of biological sciences. Another four to five years after that degree will earn a student his or her Ph.D. That’s a total of eight to nine years of training and schooling.
Physiologist Salaries in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
The average physiologist salary is actually higher in some other countries outside the U.S. A Canadian physiologist may expect to earn an average annual salary of C$57,000. Australia offers about the same salary for a physiologist. There, they should expect to earn an average income of A$55,000 per year.
The same holds true for physiologists working in the United Kingdom. U.K. professionals in physiology should expect an annual salary of £35,000 on average. This equates to roughly $56,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Physiologist Salary
The salary involved in the field of physiology can be quite lucrative. Of course, there shouldn’t ever be six figure salaries, and income certainly doesn’t equal that of the medical field, but the sciences can be very lucrative, too. Starting salaries are usually rather high compared to starting salaries throughout the various professional fields. Overall, it’s a very lucrative field to work in.