The median annual physiologist salary for a worker in the United States is about $46,300. This is roughly $22 per hour. This is a comfortable salary for anyone. Professionals who are just starting out, those in the lowest 10th percentile, may expect to earn a bit lower. The annual salaries for these physiologists are about $37,000 or less, or $17 or less per hour. However, experienced physiologists working in the top 10th percentile can expect to earn a pretty penny. Their salaries should equal $60,000 or higher, which is equal to about $29 per hour or higher. For the best range of salaries, the middle 50% of physiologists are making anywhere from $40,000 to $54,000 every year. This is an hourly rate of between $20 and $26.
Many factors determine the differences in pay-grades for physiologists. These may include experience, education, and geographical location, among others. These factors usually determine salary differences in most careers.
Benefits entitled to a physiologist may include social security, health care, paid time off, and others. The total compensation package for a physiologist, after benefits, could equal $67,000 on average.
Job Description of a Physiologist
Physiology is a branch of science that focuses on living organisms. Physiologists will work to determine the biological and mechanical functions of various organisms, as well as how they relate to their environments.
A variety of tasks can be taken up by a physiologist. Laboratory functions may include the physiologist working with a variety of organisms. These may include animals, plants, or microorganisms. Cellular structure, physiological makeup, mechanical and biological functions may all be studied within the laboratory.
A special branch of physiology allows for a career known as exercise physiologists. These professionals will administer medical tests and examinations based on a person’s health to help that person’s health improve over time.
How to become a Physiologist
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA: Medical Sciences: Business Management
- MA: Medical Sciences: Health Informatics
- MA: Medical Sciences: Biopsychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- BS in Health Science
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- And more...
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
An aspiring physiologist may decide to obtain only a master’s degree. Jobs are still available to these people in research, management, or technical aspects of the field. However, the vast majority of occupations within physiology require a doctorate. This is why most aspiring physiologists go the extra mile and obtain their Ph.D. in physiology or a related field.
With these necessary requirements, a student can expect to spend four years earning a bachelor’s degree – usually in the field of biological sciences. Another four to five years after that degree will earn a student his or her Ph.D. That’s a total of eight to nine years of training and schooling.
Physiologist Salaries in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
The average physiologist salary is actually higher in some other countries outside the U.S. A Canadian physiologist may expect to earn an average annual salary of C$57,000. Australia offers about the same salary for a physiologist. There, they should expect to earn an average income of A$55,000 per year.
The same holds true for physiologists working in the United Kingdom. U.K. professionals in physiology should expect an annual salary of £35,000 on average. This equates to roughly $56,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Physiologist Salary
The salary involved in the field of physiology can be quite lucrative. Of course, there shouldn’t ever be six figure salaries, and income certainly doesn’t equal that of the medical field, but the sciences can be very lucrative, too. Starting salaries are usually rather high compared to starting salaries throughout the various professional fields. Overall, it’s a very lucrative field to work in.