The median annual physiologist salary for a worker in the United States is about $46,300. This is roughly $22 per hour. This is a comfortable salary for anyone. Professionals who are just starting out, those in the lowest 10th percentile, may expect to earn a bit lower. The annual salaries for these physiologists are about $37,000 or less, or $17 or less per hour. However, experienced physiologists working in the top 10th percentile can expect to earn a pretty penny. Their salaries should equal $60,000 or higher, which is equal to about $29 per hour or higher. For the best range of salaries, the middle 50% of physiologists are making anywhere from $40,000 to $54,000 every year. This is an hourly rate of between $20 and $26.
Many factors determine the differences in pay-grades for physiologists. These may include experience, education, and geographical location, among others. These factors usually determine salary differences in most careers.
Benefits entitled to a physiologist may include social security, health care, paid time off, and others. The total compensation package for a physiologist, after benefits, could equal $67,000 on average.
Job Description of a Physiologist
Physiology is a branch of science that focuses on living organisms. Physiologists will work to determine the biological and mechanical functions of various organisms, as well as how they relate to their environments.
A variety of tasks can be taken up by a physiologist. Laboratory functions may include the physiologist working with a variety of organisms. These may include animals, plants, or microorganisms. Cellular structure, physiological makeup, mechanical and biological functions may all be studied within the laboratory.
A special branch of physiology allows for a career known as exercise physiologists. These professionals will administer medical tests and examinations based on a person’s health to help that person’s health improve over time.
How to become a Physiologist
- At Miller-Motte, our mission is to provide each and every student with a quality education that will prepare them to enter and succeed in their new careers.
- Not all students are able to travel to a campus, so we offer online courses and programs to fit their busy lives.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs offer a variety of Certificate of Completion and Associate of Applied Science Degree programs;like: Business, Healthcare, Legal and Protective Services and Technology
- To assist students with any educational challenge Miller-Motte offers tutoring services to all online students. Tutoring is offered on an as-needed basis, at no additional charge.
- If you work full-time, have family obligations or are interested in learning the skills needed to start a new career in the comfort of your own home, we can help you train for a new career.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs are set up to meet the needs of employers. When you complete one of our many courses or programs, you’ll have the skills needed to stand out in the job market.
- Allied Health Management - Bachelor of Science
- Medical Billing and Coding - Certificate
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Billing and Coding Specialist
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
An aspiring physiologist may decide to obtain only a master’s degree. Jobs are still available to these people in research, management, or technical aspects of the field. However, the vast majority of occupations within physiology require a doctorate. This is why most aspiring physiologists go the extra mile and obtain their Ph.D. in physiology or a related field.
With these necessary requirements, a student can expect to spend four years earning a bachelor’s degree – usually in the field of biological sciences. Another four to five years after that degree will earn a student his or her Ph.D. That’s a total of eight to nine years of training and schooling.
Physiologist Salaries in Other Countries (Australia, UK and Canada)
The average physiologist salary is actually higher in some other countries outside the U.S. A Canadian physiologist may expect to earn an average annual salary of C$57,000. Australia offers about the same salary for a physiologist. There, they should expect to earn an average income of A$55,000 per year.
The same holds true for physiologists working in the United Kingdom. U.K. professionals in physiology should expect an annual salary of £35,000 on average. This equates to roughly $56,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Physiologist Salary
The salary involved in the field of physiology can be quite lucrative. Of course, there shouldn’t ever be six figure salaries, and income certainly doesn’t equal that of the medical field, but the sciences can be very lucrative, too. Starting salaries are usually rather high compared to starting salaries throughout the various professional fields. Overall, it’s a very lucrative field to work in.