A median psychiatrist salary in the United States is reported to be around $198,000 per year. The salary of a psychiatrist is very much dependent on many factors, as is the case for many professions. Factors such as location of practice, number of years of experience, sub-specialization, and type of and size of establishment can all affect their salaries.
The lowest 10th percentile in the profession earns a mean salary of $158,000 or less per year. The highest 10th percentile earns a salary of about $241,000 or more per year. The middle 50% of the workforce earns between $178,000 and $221,000.
When you add on benefits such as bonuses, health care, pension, social security, 401K and paid vacations, the total pay package for a psychiatrist can average about $265,000 per annum.
A psychiatrist’s salary is not the highest in the medical field but still is a competitive salary compared to other professions.
Job description of a psychiatrist
A psychiatrist is a physician that that is trained to diagnose and treat mental disorders in patients. They sometimes over consultation services to other physicians. Psychiatrists are not the same as psychologists. They are full trained doctors diagnose and treat brain disorders that affect behavior mood, thought and cognition. A psychiatrist is trained to use biological, social and psychological factors for diagnosis. They can use pharmacologic as well as psychotherapeutic treatments to heal both the brain and mind.
Most psychiatrists do not spend large parts of their time providing counselling like psychologists.
How to become a psychiatrist
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.A. in Psychology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Applied Behavior Analysis
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addictions
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Judson University School of Leadership and Business Adult and Graduate Programs
The School of Leadership and Business Adult and Graduate programs provides adult learners with a strong, values-centered environment in which to achieve their educational and career goals. Programs are designed to be academically rigorous, flexible, convenient, accelerated, and accessible.
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
Pursue an advanced degree in Psychology or Counseling at Divine Mercy University. Study for an M.S. online, or start your Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology on campus. Learn more now
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
Psychiatrists are physicians and like any other physician needs a medical degree. The path to becoming a psychiatrist is a long one.
Step one: Acquire a bachelor’s degree. This will enable you to get into medical school. Although medical school admission will accept degree holders from all fields of studies, there are some key science courses you should take. Courses such as biology, anatomy, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics are good courses to take.
Step two: Apply to medical school. Medical school admission is a very competitive process. It involves putting together an extensive application which includes a bachelor’s degree, essays, letters of recommendation, writing and passing the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and attending several interviews. Medical school lasts 4 years and you should concentrate on psychiatry electives.
Step three: Residency. Upon finishing medical school you will undertake a further 4 years training in residency. This is the period where you are trained to become a psychiatrist. At the end of your residency, you will be required to sit and pass an exam to get a license to practice as a psychiatrist.
The entire process of starting college to becoming a psychiatrist will take a minimum of 12 years so you have to be very dedicated to pursue this profession.
Psychiatrist salary in other countries (Uk, Canada and Australia)
In the United Kingdom, a psychiatrist earns an average salary of about £54,000 per year. They earn an average median salary of about £46,000 per year. Their average pay per hour amounts to about £29 per hour.
In Canada, the average psychiatrist salary is reported to be about CA$120,000 per annum. The range for psychiatrists in Canada is between CA$55,000 and CA$165,000 per year.
The average psychiatrist salary in Australia is reported to be about AU$120,000 per annum. A rookie psychiatrist can expect a salary of about AU$83,000 per year whiles a senior psychiatrist can expect an annual salary of about AU$183,000 per year. Income varies with years of experience and skill level.
Verdict on psychiatrist salary
First of all, you shouldn’t really be in the profession for the money. A psychiatrist’s job is a very challenging one and requires someone who is in it for the love of it rather than the remuneration. However, no one likes to work for free especially when you have bills to pay and a family to take care of. Medical school can be very expensive and most students graduate with heavy debts to pay. A psychiatrist salary is not one of the highest among physicians but it is still a highly paid job compared to other professions.