A median psychiatrist salary in the United States is reported to be around $198,000 per year. The salary of a psychiatrist is very much dependent on many factors, as is the case for many professions. Factors such as location of practice, number of years of experience, sub-specialization, and type of and size of establishment can all affect their salaries.
The lowest 10th percentile in the profession earns a mean salary of $158,000 or less per year. The highest 10th percentile earns a salary of about $241,000 or more per year. The middle 50% of the workforce earns between $178,000 and $221,000.
When you add on benefits such as bonuses, health care, pension, social security, 401K and paid vacations, the total pay package for a psychiatrist can average about $265,000 per annum.
A psychiatrist’s salary is not the highest in the medical field but still is a competitive salary compared to other professions.
Job description of a psychiatrist
A psychiatrist is a physician that that is trained to diagnose and treat mental disorders in patients. They sometimes over consultation services to other physicians. Psychiatrists are not the same as psychologists. They are full trained doctors diagnose and treat brain disorders that affect behavior mood, thought and cognition. A psychiatrist is trained to use biological, social and psychological factors for diagnosis. They can use pharmacologic as well as psychotherapeutic treatments to heal both the brain and mind.
Most psychiatrists do not spend large parts of their time providing counselling like psychologists.
How to become a psychiatrist
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Discover how a Psychology degree from Keiser shapes great professionals in the field
- Concentrations in Human Services, Developmental Psychology, Healthcare, & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Science in Psychology
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Psychiatrists are physicians and like any other physician needs a medical degree. The path to becoming a psychiatrist is a long one.
Step one: Acquire a bachelor’s degree. This will enable you to get into medical school. Although medical school admission will accept degree holders from all fields of studies, there are some key science courses you should take. Courses such as biology, anatomy, chemistry, organic chemistry and physics are good courses to take.
Step two: Apply to medical school. Medical school admission is a very competitive process. It involves putting together an extensive application which includes a bachelor’s degree, essays, letters of recommendation, writing and passing the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and attending several interviews. Medical school lasts 4 years and you should concentrate on psychiatry electives.
Step three: Residency. Upon finishing medical school you will undertake a further 4 years training in residency. This is the period where you are trained to become a psychiatrist. At the end of your residency, you will be required to sit and pass an exam to get a license to practice as a psychiatrist.
The entire process of starting college to becoming a psychiatrist will take a minimum of 12 years so you have to be very dedicated to pursue this profession.
Psychiatrist salary in other countries (Uk, Canada and Australia)
In the United Kingdom, a psychiatrist earns an average salary of about £54,000 per year. They earn an average median salary of about £46,000 per year. Their average pay per hour amounts to about £29 per hour.
In Canada, the average psychiatrist salary is reported to be about CA$120,000 per annum. The range for psychiatrists in Canada is between CA$55,000 and CA$165,000 per year.
The average psychiatrist salary in Australia is reported to be about AU$120,000 per annum. A rookie psychiatrist can expect a salary of about AU$83,000 per year whiles a senior psychiatrist can expect an annual salary of about AU$183,000 per year. Income varies with years of experience and skill level.
Verdict on psychiatrist salary
First of all, you shouldn’t really be in the profession for the money. A psychiatrist’s job is a very challenging one and requires someone who is in it for the love of it rather than the remuneration. However, no one likes to work for free especially when you have bills to pay and a family to take care of. Medical school can be very expensive and most students graduate with heavy debts to pay. A psychiatrist salary is not one of the highest among physicians but it is still a highly paid job compared to other professions.