Research psychologists, commonly referred to as experimental psychologists, are skilled professionals who conduct thorough, in-depth research in order to figure out what people think and why do they behave the way they do. This is one of the most important and appreciated areas of psychology, and becoming a truly respected research psychologist takes not only a lot of effort and training, but also a lot of patience and commitment. That being said, the mean yearly salary of a trained research psychologist in the United States of America can vary anywhere between $40,000 and as much as $90,000 a year, depending on their geographical location and expertise.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The states of Colorado and New Jersey are the highest paying ones for research psychologists, as experimental psychologists who work here usually get a median yearly salary of over $90,000 a year. The state of California, however, also pays these professionals a salary that is above the national average, as they can easily earn here as much as $85,000 a year. The states of Rhode Island, New York and Ohio pay their research psychologists with around $90,000 a year, on average.
Research Psychologist Job Description
Simply put, these psychology professionals use different scientific methods and techniques to perform research and to gather valuable data that will be used later on, to try and unlock the human mind. These professionals specialize in a plethora of different psychological phenomena, from cognitive processes to different personality patterns. In other words, it is the duty of the experimental psychologist to closely examine and see how and what people think, act and feel.
However, it often happens that the field of expertise of experimental psychologists is not limited to humans, as they often study animals and their behavior as well. These professionals also study the motivation and learning abilities of their subjects, and how substance abuse and other neurological factors can interfere with their capacity to memorize, to feel and to think. The research and discoveries of experimental psychologists is greatly appreciated, as these professionals play a crucial role in preventing and addressing serious issues such as memory loss.
Research psychologists can be found in a variety of different settings, from universities and various non-profit organizations to businesses, government institutions, private research centers and so on. It often happens that experimental psychologists choose to teach other students the basics of developmental, industrial and social psychology, and to become their mentors if they choose to pursue a career in any field of psychology.
After thorough research, these professionals create hypothesis and try to come up with solutions and treatment plans to improve the mental health of patients.
How To Become A Research Psychologist?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Certificate in Trauma
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Psychology
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
The first step in order to become a research psychologist is getting an undergraduate degree in psychology, and then enrolling in a Master’s degree program, either in general psychology or in research/experimental psychology, if there is any program available.
Generally speaking, after getting their Master’s Degree, most experimental psychologists choose to get a Doctorate Degree in experimental psychology as well. These programs are designed to help students understand the basics of research psychology, as well as the ethical issues that may arise in the field of research. Doctorate degree programs are often the most complex ones and the most important for an experimental psychologist.
Licensure And Certification
If you want to work as a research psychologist in the United States of America, then you will have to get your licensure regardless of the work environment you aim for. The requirements vary by state, but most certification bodies require their applicants to have some direct and sound experience in the clinical, practical field along with a transcript from an approved doctoral program. A state exam will be given as well, and if the students pass it they will officially become licensed experimental/research psychologists.
Research Psychologist Salary By state
The mean yearly wage of a research psychologist in Canada is of around C$70,000, while that of an experimental psychologist in Australia can vary anywhere between Au$42,000 and Au$98,000 or even more. A research psychologist who works in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, should expect to earn anything between 25,000 and up to 45,000 pounds a year, or more.
Verdict On Research Psychologist Salary
To summarize, research psychologists are certainly amongst the highest paid professionals in their field of work.