Research psychologists, commonly referred to as experimental psychologists, are skilled professionals who conduct thorough, in-depth research in order to figure out what people think and why do they behave the way they do. This is one of the most important and appreciated areas of psychology, and becoming a truly respected research psychologist takes not only a lot of effort and training, but also a lot of patience and commitment. That being said, the mean yearly salary of a trained research psychologist in the United States of America can vary anywhere between $40,000 and as much as $90,000 a year, depending on their geographical location and expertise.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The states of Colorado and New Jersey are the highest paying ones for research psychologists, as experimental psychologists who work here usually get a median yearly salary of over $90,000 a year. The state of California, however, also pays these professionals a salary that is above the national average, as they can easily earn here as much as $85,000 a year. The states of Rhode Island, New York and Ohio pay their research psychologists with around $90,000 a year, on average.
Research Psychologist Job Description
Simply put, these psychology professionals use different scientific methods and techniques to perform research and to gather valuable data that will be used later on, to try and unlock the human mind. These professionals specialize in a plethora of different psychological phenomena, from cognitive processes to different personality patterns. In other words, it is the duty of the experimental psychologist to closely examine and see how and what people think, act and feel.
However, it often happens that the field of expertise of experimental psychologists is not limited to humans, as they often study animals and their behavior as well. These professionals also study the motivation and learning abilities of their subjects, and how substance abuse and other neurological factors can interfere with their capacity to memorize, to feel and to think. The research and discoveries of experimental psychologists is greatly appreciated, as these professionals play a crucial role in preventing and addressing serious issues such as memory loss.
Research psychologists can be found in a variety of different settings, from universities and various non-profit organizations to businesses, government institutions, private research centers and so on. It often happens that experimental psychologists choose to teach other students the basics of developmental, industrial and social psychology, and to become their mentors if they choose to pursue a career in any field of psychology.
After thorough research, these professionals create hypothesis and try to come up with solutions and treatment plans to improve the mental health of patients.
How To Become A Research Psychologist?
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Discover how a Psychology degree from Keiser shapes great professionals in the field
- Concentrations in Human Services, Developmental Psychology, Healthcare, & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Science in Psychology
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Trauma
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
CTU could help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional community, faculty who are real-world professionals, and innovative technology. And several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Programs in 2017.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Substance Abuse
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The first step in order to become a research psychologist is getting an undergraduate degree in psychology, and then enrolling in a Master’s degree program, either in general psychology or in research/experimental psychology, if there is any program available.
Generally speaking, after getting their Master’s Degree, most experimental psychologists choose to get a Doctorate Degree in experimental psychology as well. These programs are designed to help students understand the basics of research psychology, as well as the ethical issues that may arise in the field of research. Doctorate degree programs are often the most complex ones and the most important for an experimental psychologist.
Licensure And Certification
If you want to work as a research psychologist in the United States of America, then you will have to get your licensure regardless of the work environment you aim for. The requirements vary by state, but most certification bodies require their applicants to have some direct and sound experience in the clinical, practical field along with a transcript from an approved doctoral program. A state exam will be given as well, and if the students pass it they will officially become licensed experimental/research psychologists.
Research Psychologist Salary By state
The mean yearly wage of a research psychologist in Canada is of around C$70,000, while that of an experimental psychologist in Australia can vary anywhere between Au$42,000 and Au$98,000 or even more. A research psychologist who works in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, should expect to earn anything between 25,000 and up to 45,000 pounds a year, or more.
Verdict On Research Psychologist Salary
To summarize, research psychologists are certainly amongst the highest paid professionals in their field of work.