SLP stands for speech language pathologists, and these are trained and skilled professionals who closely study the tone of voice, the enunciation of sounds as well as the human intonation. These professionals typically evaluate and diagnose people with different speech disorders, and then use different tools and techniques to help them improve their communication skills.
SLPs work closely with people who suffered brain injuries, who have dyslexia or who have suffered a stroke, although they commonly work with children as well.. They can come up with personalized treatment plans that include muscle and swallowing exercising. The median yearly salary of these professionals is of around $69,000 a year, although the best paid speech language pathologists can make as much as $110,000 a year.
Speech Language Pathologist Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The US
The median yearly salary of a SLP who works in Alabama is of around $90,000, while that of one who works in Alaska is of just $75,000, which is little over the national average. Arizona pays its SLP professionals with a median salary of $78,000, while Arkansas offers them as much as $88,000 a year, California around $98,000 a year and in Connecticut, these professionals should expect a median pay of around $96,000 a year. The state of Colorado pays them with $78,000 a year, while Florida offers them around $85,000 a year, on average.
SLP Job Description
Speech language pathologists specialize in human communication. They evaluate and diagnose different disorders related to the cognitive communication, swallowing, speech or language of the patients, and they work with a variety of different patients from the youngest ones to seniors.
The duties and responsibilities of a SLP professional are many, as they can work in agencies, private practices, clinics, hospitals and organizations. They aim to prescribe an accurate treatment for each individual patient, as well as to investigate all the behavioral patterns that may have triggered communication disorders. Moreover, these professionals also supervise and direct various clinical or public school awareness programs, and they constantly learn about the complexity of the human communication process.
It often happens that the speech language pathologists are an important part of a greater team that often consists of physicians, audiologists, psychologists, rehab counselors, social workers, teachers and many others. Some of them may choose to work in a clinical setting while others work for corporations, public and private schools, research laboratories, adult day care centers, home health agencies, state and federal government agencies, colleges and universities, short and long term nursing facilities and others.
How To become A SLP?
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Massage Therapy Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
Before you move on to the formal training required for becoming a speech language pathologist, it is important to make sure that you firstly have all the necessary skills for working as a SLP in a field that can be very stressful and demanding at times. The speech language pathologist must be persistent, patient, tolerant and sensitive, he must be willing to help others achieve their goals and show empathy whenever needed.
After that, it is important to focus on graduate-level education and enroll in a four-year Bachelor’s Degree training program. Once you have gotten your degree, it is important to take your education to the next level by enrolling in a Master’s Degree program in an accredited SLP program. It is highly recommended for all those who want to become speech and language pathologists to have a strong foundation in liberal arts, as this is one of the best and most relevant undergraduate majors for this profession.
Also, prior to enrolling in the Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs, it is recommended to pursue coursework in fields like general science, anatomy, psychology as well as behavioral science. If you want to work in the academic environment and teach other future speech and language pathologists the basics of the profession, then it is highly recommended to opt for a PhD in the field as well.
Certification is essential in order to work as a speech and language pathologist. The basic eligibility requirements may vary from one state to another, but they include a clinical fellowship training period coupled with a certification exam. The certification is provided by the CCC, or the Council for Clinical Certification.
SLP Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
The median yearly salary of a speech and language pathologist is between C$75,000 and C$85,000 in Canada, while a SLP who works in the United Kingdom can make between 47,000 and 49,000 pounds. Also, an Australian speech and language pathologist should expect to make between Au$43,000 and Au$66,000 a year, here.
Verdict On SLP Salary
Speech and language pathologists can get very rewarding salaries, depending on their education level, their expertise and work environment.