The median annual speech pathologist salary is $72,000. This comes out to about $34 per hour. Pathologists who are just starting out and those in the lowest 10th percentile should expect a little less, approximately $29 per hour or $60,000 a year. Yet, with more experience, a speech pathologist could enter the pay-grade of those in the top 10th percentile. These professionals make at least $85,000 annually, or $41 every hour. Even the middle 50% of speech pathologists will make a nice income: between $65,000 and $79,000 every year. This is equal to between $32 and $38 an hour.
As with most professions, many factors will determine income for speech pathologists. Some of the determining factors include experience, geographic location, and area of employment. Speech pathologists require a high level of education, and there are certain certifications that may be achieved. Those with the proper certifications will be paid higher. Metropolitan areas often offer higher salaries to professionals. Furthermore, the type of employment is important. Speech pathologists working in educational settings may see less of an income than those working in the health care industry.
The total compensation package for the typical speech pathologist after benefits is $100,500. Benefits may include social security, pension, paid time off, and health care, among others.
Job Description of a Speech Pathologist
Speech pathologists generally deal with speech problems, but they treat a number of disorders. This may include speech, language, or even swallowing disorders. Professionals will diagnose the problems and treat them as necessary.
A speech pathologist generally works in either an educational setting or within the health care industry. More than half of the currently employed speech therapists work in education, while another third work in health care. There are other facilities available to speech pathologists, but they are difficult to find. Only about six percent of speech pathologists work in otherwise noted facilities.
How to Become a Speech Pathologist
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sport Psychology (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Looking for an Online Nursing Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree
- Get Matched to Top Nursing Degree Programs RIGHT NOW for FREE!
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
Typically, the career of speech pathology requires at least a master’s degree to enter. Income and job opportunities will rise if an aspiring speech pathologist obtains his or her doctorate.
A speech pathologist must also be licensed. Each state is different concerning licensing requirements, as they are for many occupations. There are also special certifications available for speech pathologists to receive. The ASHA CCCs are important to the profession. Higher incomes and better professional opportunities are available to speech pathologists that are certified. Many states do not require certification to work in schools, but the certifications are needed to work elsewhere as a speech pathologist. Even though school-based professionals do not require a certification, they may receive a higher income if they have been certified by ASHA.
Speech Pathologist Salaries in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
A speech pathologist should come home with a comfortable salary when working outside of the United States. Speech pathologists in Canada should receive an average annual pay of C$61,000. An Australian speech pathologist will see virtually the same payment. Australia pays her speech pathologists A$60,000 annually on average.
A speech pathologist from the United Kingdom (U.K.) will see roughly the same salary. £35,000 is paid to a speech pathologist annually on average. This equates to about $56,000 in America.
Verdict on Speech Pathologist Salary
This profession is rewarding when it comes to salary. While schooling and training will take a number of years, a speech pathologist salary is relatively high. Technically, only a master’s degree is needed, and certification is not necessary while working in a school setting. Since this is the case, it is possible to enter the work force quicker, allowing for money to be earned after experience rather than education. Considering the amount of school loan debt graduates face today, this is a very good opportunity for any individual.