The median annual speech pathologist salary is $72,000. This comes out to about $34 per hour. Pathologists who are just starting out and those in the lowest 10th percentile should expect a little less, approximately $29 per hour or $60,000 a year. Yet, with more experience, a speech pathologist could enter the pay-grade of those in the top 10th percentile. These professionals make at least $85,000 annually, or $41 every hour. Even the middle 50% of speech pathologists will make a nice income: between $65,000 and $79,000 every year. This is equal to between $32 and $38 an hour.
As with most professions, many factors will determine income for speech pathologists. Some of the determining factors include experience, geographic location, and area of employment. Speech pathologists require a high level of education, and there are certain certifications that may be achieved. Those with the proper certifications will be paid higher. Metropolitan areas often offer higher salaries to professionals. Furthermore, the type of employment is important. Speech pathologists working in educational settings may see less of an income than those working in the health care industry.
The total compensation package for the typical speech pathologist after benefits is $100,500. Benefits may include social security, pension, paid time off, and health care, among others.
Job Description of a Speech Pathologist
Speech pathologists generally deal with speech problems, but they treat a number of disorders. This may include speech, language, or even swallowing disorders. Professionals will diagnose the problems and treat them as necessary.
A speech pathologist generally works in either an educational setting or within the health care industry. More than half of the currently employed speech therapists work in education, while another third work in health care. There are other facilities available to speech pathologists, but they are difficult to find. Only about six percent of speech pathologists work in otherwise noted facilities.
How to Become a Speech Pathologist
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- AAS - Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy
Orion College is a post-secondary vocational school offering Associate Degree programs in Business Administration, Medical Assisting and Healthcare Management.. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Medical Assisting
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
Typically, the career of speech pathology requires at least a master’s degree to enter. Income and job opportunities will rise if an aspiring speech pathologist obtains his or her doctorate.
A speech pathologist must also be licensed. Each state is different concerning licensing requirements, as they are for many occupations. There are also special certifications available for speech pathologists to receive. The ASHA CCCs are important to the profession. Higher incomes and better professional opportunities are available to speech pathologists that are certified. Many states do not require certification to work in schools, but the certifications are needed to work elsewhere as a speech pathologist. Even though school-based professionals do not require a certification, they may receive a higher income if they have been certified by ASHA.
Speech Pathologist Salaries in Other Countries (UK, Canada and Australia)
A speech pathologist should come home with a comfortable salary when working outside of the United States. Speech pathologists in Canada should receive an average annual pay of C$61,000. An Australian speech pathologist will see virtually the same payment. Australia pays her speech pathologists A$60,000 annually on average.
A speech pathologist from the United Kingdom (U.K.) will see roughly the same salary. £35,000 is paid to a speech pathologist annually on average. This equates to about $56,000 in America.
Verdict on Speech Pathologist Salary
This profession is rewarding when it comes to salary. While schooling and training will take a number of years, a speech pathologist salary is relatively high. Technically, only a master’s degree is needed, and certification is not necessary while working in a school setting. Since this is the case, it is possible to enter the work force quicker, allowing for money to be earned after experience rather than education. Considering the amount of school loan debt graduates face today, this is a very good opportunity for any individual.