The human psychology field is an extremely complex one, and it covers many different specialties – sports psychology being only one of them. A good sports psychologist needs to provide his patients with teaching, research and good counseling services in order to help them achieve the highest peaks in their career. As the name of the profession suggests, sports psychologists work closely with athletes and other sports professional, offering them quality advice and counseling services whenever they encounter a professional issue. It often happens that sports psychologists work with people who suffer from physical injuries, anxiety or even performance problems, and their median yearly wage varies between $60,000 and up to $85,000, depending on their geographical location and work environment.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
At the time being, the highest paying area for sports psychologists is considered to be Chicago, where the highest salary is of around $85,000 a year. On the other hand, the states of New York and California also pay them median yearly wages that vary between $80,000 and as much as $85,000, while the state of North Carolina offers them little over $65,000 a year.
Sports Psychologist Job Description
As described above, it is the duty of the sports psychologist to actually help those who suffer from different career-related problems. Some of the athletes suffer from intense anxiety that prevents them from giving the best they got during the games, while others have suffered debilitating injuries and they find it difficult to return on the field. It often happens that these mental health professionals do not specialize in sport exclusively, but in the field of sport and exercise.
Sports psychologists work with a variety of athletes, from amateur athletes who are just starting out to advanced, professional elites of the sports industry, helping them overcome all the psychological obstacles that they may encounter throughout their lives, improve their performance and reach their goal. For example, some of the athletes may encounter self-esteem, confidence or motivation issues – this is precisely where the sports psychologist steps in and helps them overcome them.
Sports psychologists deal with a variety of different tasks. These mental health professionals firstly assess the mental well-being of the patients, their behavior and performance during the game, and only after that they provide a diagnose, design and implement different strategies aimed at helping them overcome the problems. These professionals can also conduct some research to help them improve their sport or exercise performance, they can deliver workshops as well as counseling services aimed at different relaxation methods and even goal setting.
Sports psychologists do not work with athletes alone, as these professionals also work with teams and coaches, providing tailored interventions to help them cope with all the psychological demands that the sports industry often has.
How To Become A Sports Psychologist?
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Becoming a sports psychologist does take several years of hard work and study, as you will need to get your Master’s Degree in Psychology before you actually get the chance to specialize in the desired field of activity and apply for a license. The license is absolutely crucial for your success in the field, and some of the professionals even take their career a mile further and apply for a Doctoral degree in either Sports Psychology or in Clinical Psychology – generally speaking, the latter is more versatile and offers them more job opportunities after graduation.
After getting their degree, the graduates must complete a twelve-month internship through an approved training program, and only after that they can sit for the licensing and/or certification exam as sports psychologists.
Unlike the licensure which is paramount, the certification is purely optional and it is provided by the American Board of Sport Psychologists. In order to be an eligible applicant, you must have a doctorate degree in Psychology, and to hold a state license. Some six months of supervised practice in the field are required as well, in order to be eligible for the exam.
Sports Psychologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, sports psychologists make between CAD$44,000 and CAD$140,000, in Australia between Au$40,000 and Au$100,000 while in the United Kingdom they should expect to make between 20,000 and up to 53,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Sports Psychologist
To conclude, sports psychologists are amongst the highest paid mental health professionals in their area of expertise.