The median urologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $332,000 per year or about $160 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $248,000 or lower per year which is about $119 or lower per hour. The top 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $439,000 or higher per year or about $211 or higher per hour. The middle 50% of urologists had salaries between $287,000 and $389,000 per year or between $138 and $187 per hour.
Like almost all other professions, an urologist salary depends on many factors. Some of the main factors that can affect how much an urologist makes are years of experience, education, type of establishment employed in, geographical location and number of hours worked. Also, most employers add very attractive benefits for urologists. They receive benefits such as pension, social security, bonuses, 401k, paid time off and healthcare benefits. When these benefits are added to their base salary, the total compensation package for an urologist comes to an annual average of about $434,000 per year.
Job description of an urologist
What does an urologist do? An urologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the genitourinary tract and organs of both male and female. They also specialize in treating conditions of the male reproductive system. The organs in this case are the uterus, kidneys, urethra, urinary bladder and the entire male reproductive organs.
An urologist typically works in a private clinic. They use equipment such as x-rays, catheters, fluoroscopes to help them diagnose diseases and conditions of these organs. An urologist and also perform surgery if required.
How to become an urologist?
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- Master of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
- Medical Coding and Billing
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from the Simmons School of Nursing and Health Sciences in as few as 20 months. As a student, you will attend live online classes and gain clinical experience at sites in or near your community, secured with the assistance of a dedicated clinical placement team. Accredited by CCNE, the program offers part-time and full-time options to prepare you for certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Master of Arts in Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
Urologists are physicians and like most other physicians, they require a medical degree and residency training. To become an urologist, you must first obtain a four-year undergraduate degree. Although there is no requirement for a major during your undergraduate studies, it is advisable to concentrate on pre-med or science related subjects.
After undergraduate studies, you must apply to and be accepted into an accredited medical degree program. Getting accepted into medical school is very competitive and requires excellent grades from undergraduate studies and good scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). It also requires letters of recommendation and an admission interview.
After medical school, you are required to undertake a 1-year internship followed by 3 years of residency training. If you want to subspecialize, you will need additional fellowship training. Some subspecialties of urology include pediatric urology, urology oncology and male infertility.
All states require urologists to be licensed before they can practice.
Urologist Salary in other countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the average annual salary for a consultant urologist is about £100,000 per year. This is in reference to salary data collected between 2008 and 2012. This data is for urologists who work eight hours a day and 249 days in a year at an hourly rate of about £51 per hour.
The age of the urologist can also have an effect on how much they make. According to the data, urologists that are between the ages of 20 and 29 years have an average annual salary of £74,000. Those in their thirties reported an average wage of £98,000 and those older than 40 years reported an average salary of about £117,000 per year.
Urologists working in Canada can expect an average annual salary of C$280,000 per year.
For an urologist working in Australia, salaries for consultant urologists are determined based on grades. Those in the junior grade reported annual salary of about AU$74,000 – AU$91,000. Those who belong to the middle grade earned between AU$81,000 and AU$111,000 per year. Those that belong in the staff grade earned about AU$101,000 – AU$149,000 per year. Specialist grades earned between Au$149,000 and AU$351,000 per year. Those in private practice can earn about AU$500,000 per year.
Verdict on urologist salary.
It should be noted that not all urologists perform surgery. Those that focus on performing urology related surgeries and transplants will earn significantly higher salary and urologists that do not perform surgery or perform little surgery may earn significantly lower urologist salary.