The median urologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $332,000 per year or about $160 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $248,000 or lower per year which is about $119 or lower per hour. The top 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $439,000 or higher per year or about $211 or higher per hour. The middle 50% of urologists had salaries between $287,000 and $389,000 per year or between $138 and $187 per hour.
Like almost all other professions, an urologist salary depends on many factors. Some of the main factors that can affect how much an urologist makes are years of experience, education, type of establishment employed in, geographical location and number of hours worked. Also, most employers add very attractive benefits for urologists. They receive benefits such as pension, social security, bonuses, 401k, paid time off and healthcare benefits. When these benefits are added to their base salary, the total compensation package for an urologist comes to an annual average of about $434,000 per year.
Job description of an urologist
What does an urologist do? An urologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the genitourinary tract and organs of both male and female. They also specialize in treating conditions of the male reproductive system. The organs in this case are the uterus, kidneys, urethra, urinary bladder and the entire male reproductive organs.
An urologist typically works in a private clinic. They use equipment such as x-rays, catheters, fluoroscopes to help them diagnose diseases and conditions of these organs. An urologist and also perform surgery if required.
How to become an urologist?
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- MSN: Health Policy
- MSN: Community Health
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- And more...
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
Urologists are physicians and like most other physicians, they require a medical degree and residency training. To become an urologist, you must first obtain a four-year undergraduate degree. Although there is no requirement for a major during your undergraduate studies, it is advisable to concentrate on pre-med or science related subjects.
After undergraduate studies, you must apply to and be accepted into an accredited medical degree program. Getting accepted into medical school is very competitive and requires excellent grades from undergraduate studies and good scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). It also requires letters of recommendation and an admission interview.
After medical school, you are required to undertake a 1-year internship followed by 3 years of residency training. If you want to subspecialize, you will need additional fellowship training. Some subspecialties of urology include pediatric urology, urology oncology and male infertility.
All states require urologists to be licensed before they can practice.
Urologist Salary in other countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the average annual salary for a consultant urologist is about £100,000 per year. This is in reference to salary data collected between 2008 and 2012. This data is for urologists who work eight hours a day and 249 days in a year at an hourly rate of about £51 per hour.
The age of the urologist can also have an effect on how much they make. According to the data, urologists that are between the ages of 20 and 29 years have an average annual salary of £74,000. Those in their thirties reported an average wage of £98,000 and those older than 40 years reported an average salary of about £117,000 per year.
Urologists working in Canada can expect an average annual salary of C$280,000 per year.
For an urologist working in Australia, salaries for consultant urologists are determined based on grades. Those in the junior grade reported annual salary of about AU$74,000 – AU$91,000. Those who belong to the middle grade earned between AU$81,000 and AU$111,000 per year. Those that belong in the staff grade earned about AU$101,000 – AU$149,000 per year. Specialist grades earned between Au$149,000 and AU$351,000 per year. Those in private practice can earn about AU$500,000 per year.
Verdict on urologist salary.
It should be noted that not all urologists perform surgery. Those that focus on performing urology related surgeries and transplants will earn significantly higher salary and urologists that do not perform surgery or perform little surgery may earn significantly lower urologist salary.