The median urologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $332,000 per year or about $160 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $248,000 or lower per year which is about $119 or lower per hour. The top 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $439,000 or higher per year or about $211 or higher per hour. The middle 50% of urologists had salaries between $287,000 and $389,000 per year or between $138 and $187 per hour.
Like almost all other professions, an urologist salary depends on many factors. Some of the main factors that can affect how much an urologist makes are years of experience, education, type of establishment employed in, geographical location and number of hours worked. Also, most employers add very attractive benefits for urologists. They receive benefits such as pension, social security, bonuses, 401k, paid time off and healthcare benefits. When these benefits are added to their base salary, the total compensation package for an urologist comes to an annual average of about $434,000 per year.
Job description of an urologist
What does an urologist do? An urologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the genitourinary tract and organs of both male and female. They also specialize in treating conditions of the male reproductive system. The organs in this case are the uterus, kidneys, urethra, urinary bladder and the entire male reproductive organs.
An urologist typically works in a private clinic. They use equipment such as x-rays, catheters, fluoroscopes to help them diagnose diseases and conditions of these organs. An urologist and also perform surgery if required.
How to become an urologist?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- And more...
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BS/Nursing (RN to BSN)
- BA/Applied Behavioral Science
- MA/Health Care Administration
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Nurse Educator Graduate Certificate
- And more...
- BS Health Science
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
- Billing & Coding Specialist, Associates Degree
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Doctor of Health Science
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Medical Coding and Billing
Urologists are physicians and like most other physicians, they require a medical degree and residency training. To become an urologist, you must first obtain a four-year undergraduate degree. Although there is no requirement for a major during your undergraduate studies, it is advisable to concentrate on pre-med or science related subjects.
After undergraduate studies, you must apply to and be accepted into an accredited medical degree program. Getting accepted into medical school is very competitive and requires excellent grades from undergraduate studies and good scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). It also requires letters of recommendation and an admission interview.
After medical school, you are required to undertake a 1-year internship followed by 3 years of residency training. If you want to subspecialize, you will need additional fellowship training. Some subspecialties of urology include pediatric urology, urology oncology and male infertility.
All states require urologists to be licensed before they can practice.
Urologist Salary in other countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the average annual salary for a consultant urologist is about £100,000 per year. This is in reference to salary data collected between 2008 and 2012. This data is for urologists who work eight hours a day and 249 days in a year at an hourly rate of about £51 per hour.
The age of the urologist can also have an effect on how much they make. According to the data, urologists that are between the ages of 20 and 29 years have an average annual salary of £74,000. Those in their thirties reported an average wage of £98,000 and those older than 40 years reported an average salary of about £117,000 per year.
Urologists working in Canada can expect an average annual salary of C$280,000 per year.
For an urologist working in Australia, salaries for consultant urologists are determined based on grades. Those in the junior grade reported annual salary of about AU$74,000 – AU$91,000. Those who belong to the middle grade earned between AU$81,000 and AU$111,000 per year. Those that belong in the staff grade earned about AU$101,000 – AU$149,000 per year. Specialist grades earned between Au$149,000 and AU$351,000 per year. Those in private practice can earn about AU$500,000 per year.
Verdict on urologist salary.
It should be noted that not all urologists perform surgery. Those that focus on performing urology related surgeries and transplants will earn significantly higher salary and urologists that do not perform surgery or perform little surgery may earn significantly lower urologist salary.