The median urologist salary in the United States is reported to be about $332,000 per year or about $160 per hour. The lowest 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $248,000 or lower per year which is about $119 or lower per hour. The top 10th percentile of urologists reported a salary of about $439,000 or higher per year or about $211 or higher per hour. The middle 50% of urologists had salaries between $287,000 and $389,000 per year or between $138 and $187 per hour.
Like almost all other professions, an urologist salary depends on many factors. Some of the main factors that can affect how much an urologist makes are years of experience, education, type of establishment employed in, geographical location and number of hours worked. Also, most employers add very attractive benefits for urologists. They receive benefits such as pension, social security, bonuses, 401k, paid time off and healthcare benefits. When these benefits are added to their base salary, the total compensation package for an urologist comes to an annual average of about $434,000 per year.
Job description of an urologist
What does an urologist do? An urologist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the genitourinary tract and organs of both male and female. They also specialize in treating conditions of the male reproductive system. The organs in this case are the uterus, kidneys, urethra, urinary bladder and the entire male reproductive organs.
An urologist typically works in a private clinic. They use equipment such as x-rays, catheters, fluoroscopes to help them diagnose diseases and conditions of these organs. An urologist and also perform surgery if required.
How to become an urologist?
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
- Our Healthcare programs prepare graduates for a booming Healthcare industry allowing them to apply their classroom knowledge in our simulation labs during educational scenarios and training exercises.
- The Bachelor of Science in Nursing completion program (RN to BSN) expands knowledge in areas of research, theory, leadership, community concepts, healthcare policy and current trends in healthcare.
- The RN to BSN program is specifically designed for students to increase their understanding of advanced nursing roles. A Registered Nurse (RN) License is required prior to admitance to this program.
- The Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN) is uniquely focused on nursing education. This program fosters independent learning and cultivates an in-depth understanding.
- Students learn to implement nursing course curriculum using evidence-based practice throughout the duration of the MSN program while engaging in scholarly work, research and teaching practicum.
- At Hallmark University, we designed our simulation labs and facilities to look and feel just like a hospital and modern healthcare environments.
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
- Master of Health Administration
Urologists are physicians and like most other physicians, they require a medical degree and residency training. To become an urologist, you must first obtain a four-year undergraduate degree. Although there is no requirement for a major during your undergraduate studies, it is advisable to concentrate on pre-med or science related subjects.
After undergraduate studies, you must apply to and be accepted into an accredited medical degree program. Getting accepted into medical school is very competitive and requires excellent grades from undergraduate studies and good scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). It also requires letters of recommendation and an admission interview.
After medical school, you are required to undertake a 1-year internship followed by 3 years of residency training. If you want to subspecialize, you will need additional fellowship training. Some subspecialties of urology include pediatric urology, urology oncology and male infertility.
All states require urologists to be licensed before they can practice.
Urologist Salary in other countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
In the United Kingdom (UK), the average annual salary for a consultant urologist is about £100,000 per year. This is in reference to salary data collected between 2008 and 2012. This data is for urologists who work eight hours a day and 249 days in a year at an hourly rate of about £51 per hour.
The age of the urologist can also have an effect on how much they make. According to the data, urologists that are between the ages of 20 and 29 years have an average annual salary of £74,000. Those in their thirties reported an average wage of £98,000 and those older than 40 years reported an average salary of about £117,000 per year.
Urologists working in Canada can expect an average annual salary of C$280,000 per year.
For an urologist working in Australia, salaries for consultant urologists are determined based on grades. Those in the junior grade reported annual salary of about AU$74,000 – AU$91,000. Those who belong to the middle grade earned between AU$81,000 and AU$111,000 per year. Those that belong in the staff grade earned about AU$101,000 – AU$149,000 per year. Specialist grades earned between Au$149,000 and AU$351,000 per year. Those in private practice can earn about AU$500,000 per year.
Verdict on urologist salary.
It should be noted that not all urologists perform surgery. Those that focus on performing urology related surgeries and transplants will earn significantly higher salary and urologists that do not perform surgery or perform little surgery may earn significantly lower urologist salary.