Becoming a cardiology technician is one of the most rewarding careers in the healthcare field. The value of this career keeps increasing yearly thanks to the use of technology which is daily becoming important in the healthcare field. The increasing value of being a cardiology technician is evident with the large salary amounts for its professionals.
Cardiology Technician Salary
The median salary for a typical Cardiac technician working in the United States is $39,870 according to salary.com . According to bls.gov, the average annual salary for a cardiology technician is $48,640, but top earners have been known to earn over $74,000 yearly.
Also according to sternbergcollege.com the wage range of Cardiology Technologists is between $25.23- $31.44 per hour in the United States. However, this depends mainly on experience and location. Different states pay their cardiologists differently.
Pay Scale In Different States
Cardiology tech salaries will vary in different states depending on the rate of demand for cardiology techs in a state. If the demand for these professionals in a particular state like New Jersey for example is high then the salaries will be higher than the ones paid in the state of Pennsylvania. According to alliedhealthworld.com Cardiology technicians in the State of New jersey can earn an average of $58,000 an amount that would enable them to live comfortably. This is 4% higher compared to the national average. Massachusetts salaries for its cardiology technicians vary depending on several factors such as education level, the demand in various cities and so on. The average earnings for cardiology tech in MA is more than $40,000.
Job Description Of A Cardiology Technician
Cardiology technicians help cardiologists perform cardiac catheterizations used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
Catheterizations involve the examination of the arteries for any blockages and repairing them using medical devices like stents or balloons when the need arises. The duties of a cardiology technician are as follows:
- To perform phlebotomy
- To perform standard 12-lead ECG
- Interpret ECG tracings
- To perform graded ETTs (Exercise Tolerance Tests)
- To prepare patients for graded ETTs
- To interpret and recognize arrhythmias especially life-threatening ones.
- To hook up Holter ambulatory monitors
- To scan Holter monitor data and present reports to the physicians.
- Report generation from ambulatory blood pressure monitors
- Helping with the implantation of ICDs and pacemakers and also testing the devices.
- To prepare and instruct patients during the procedure and connect them to the monitoring equipment.
- Report generation from event monitors
- To give contrast chemicals injections to patients in order to enable visibility of the arteries on the monitor.
- To hand devices to the physician whenever required.
- Help with CPR whenever required.
Those are some of the duties a cardiology technician has to do to fulfill their job description; however, the responsibilities are known to vary depending on the specific needs of the patient and the cardiologist. Cardiology technicians are known to work around 40hours weekly following a shift-based schedule. The shifts can run between 8-12 hours. The number of shifts worked is usually dependent on the shift lengths, so that no one works three 12-hour shifts every week or 8-hour shifts continuously.
How To become A Cardiology technician
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
It is possible to be at the center of this quickly evolving sector of healthcare delivery by opting to become a cardiology technologist. You will have to gain the required skills for you to conduct a wide variety of diagnostic tasks such as Holter Monitoring, stress tests, event monitoring, ECG and so on. You will also require lots of hands-on practice in clinical settings under real professional supervision during the learning period. Just like in many related health fields, in order for one to become a cardiology technician they will have to acquire an associate’s degree and a certification. The associate’s degree has to come from an accredited program from a community college, vocational school or technical school.
The coursework involves a lot of math and sciences like physics, anatomy & physiology, biology, biochemistry and other related topics.
Most cardiovascular technology programs take 800 clinical training hours to enable the graduates to gain adequate hands-on clinical experience with patients in catheterization labs.
After successful completion of the associate’s degree program in this field, the last step should be completing the registry certification test for the Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist(RCIS) After successfully completing the certification test for RCIS, the learner can then find employment opportunities in hospitals, private clinics, cardiac diagnostic equipment companies in the sales department or simply offer technical support. Jobs can also be found in private laboratories and even pharmaceutical companies.
Cardiology Technician Salary In Canada, Australia & UK
Canada, Australia and UK pay their cardiology technicians differently depending on a lot of factors. In the UK the expected median salary for a cardiology technician according to healthcare-salaries.com and globelocums.co.uk is £20,000 per annum with around £30 per hour.
In Australia a fulltime cardiac technologists makes an average of $854 weekly and an average annual salary of $44,408 according to myfuture.edu.au . In Canada the average salary for a cardiology technician is $105,556 according to wowjobs.ca/salary. And according to providencehealthcare.org a cardiology tech in Canada can also make between $25.23-$33.44 per hour plus benefits from the employer. Canada is one of the locations that pay cardiology techs highly.
Conclusion on Cardiology Technician Salary
This healthcare field is no doubt one of the most rewarding professions in the healthcare industry. With technology playing an important role in the medical industry, the demand to tech assistants in various diagnostic medical fields will never go down any time soon. Becoming a cardiology technician is a smart career move and the salary is quite motivating since it increases for professionals with a higher education level and experience. Salary is one of the major things professionals look out for and it is no doubt the best motivator. With the current economic unpredictability, one requires a career that pays well and allows them to live comfortably, pay the bills and cater for other costs without straining. The cardiology technician career rewards its professionals as it should and the medical field recognizes this branch of healthcare as quite important hence the high pay scale in most countries. There are many other elements to talk about where this topic is concerned; but this is an insight.