The median annual dialysis technician salary in the United States is about $36,000. This equates to about $17 per hour. While this is not extravagant in the slightest, highly experienced professionals working in metropolitan areas (those within the top 10th percentile) can expect a salary of at least $46,000 annually, or $22 an hour. This will certainly get anybody by. The lower 10th percentile sees a lower salary. It could be $29,000 annually or less, which is also $14 an hour. Looking at the middle 50% of dialysis technicians will give the most common rates for dialysis technicians. These technicians will make anywhere from $15 to $20 an hour, which is an annual salary of between $32,000 and $41,000.
Many factors add up to create the differences in salaries. Education, certification, and geographic location will affect pay-grade. As with most other professions, the better educated a professional is, the higher a salary he or she can expect. Metropolitan areas also offer higher incomes for dialysis technicians. Massachusetts, New York, California, Hawaii, Florida, and Utah are all reported to pay their dialysis technicians more.
After benefits, a typical dialysis technician can expect to walk away with their salary plus compensation package, which should equal about $53,000. These benefits may include social security, pension, health care benefits, and paid time off, among others.
Job Description of a Dialysis Technician
Dialysis technicians work strictly with the kidneys. In the event a person’s kidneys fail to properly work, dialysis will be administered. Dialysis involves altering fluids and wastes within the body, since the kidneys are no longer able to do this on their own. Dialysis technicians are in charge of this procedure. Their overall job is to maintain the dialysis equipment and monitor patients while the treatment is being performed.
Becoming a Dialysis Technician
- At Miller-Motte, our mission is to provide each and every student with a quality education that will prepare them to enter and succeed in their new careers.
- Not all students are able to travel to a campus, so we offer online courses and programs to fit their busy lives.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs offer a variety of Certificate of Completion and Associate of Applied Science Degree programs;like: Business, Healthcare, Legal and Protective Services and Technology
- To assist students with any educational challenge Miller-Motte offers tutoring services to all online students. Tutoring is offered on an as-needed basis, at no additional charge.
- If you work full-time, have family obligations or are interested in learning the skills needed to start a new career in the comfort of your own home, we can help you train for a new career.
- Miller-Motte Online Programs are set up to meet the needs of employers. When you complete one of our many courses or programs, you’ll have the skills needed to stand out in the job market.
- Allied Health Management - Bachelor of Science
- Medical Billing and Coding - Certificate
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Billing and Coding Specialist
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Human Performance: Clinical
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management
To begin a career as a dialysis technician, one must first enroll in an accredited program for the field. These programs can be found in community colleges, technical schools, or vocational schools. There are a few dialysis technician schools that offer just this program. The program will run for about a year, and it will teach the student infection control, dialysis, anesthesia, patient communication, venipuncture, and medical terminology needed in the field.
Like many other medical personnel, dialysis technicians must gain clinical experience in a medical facility. These facilities may include hospitals or clinics. Certification will be offered after these programs have been completed.
While this is the average route for a dialysis technician, some employers will actually offer on-the-job training programs for the profession. This may be a good opportunity for anyone. However, employers are much more likely to hire credited technicians rather than train their own.
Dialysis Technician Salary in Other Countries (UK, Australia and Canada)
The salaries for dialysis technicians within first world countries remain about the same. Those working in Canada will see an average yearly salary of about C$37,000. Australian dialysis technicians on average will come home with about A$29,000 yearly.
Dialysis technicians working in the United Kingdom (UK) face roughly the same salary than in the other countries. They make only about £19,000 every year on average. This is equal to roughly $30,000 in the United States.
Verdict on Dialysis Technician Salary
The going might be tough for someone in this profession. Technicians just starting out will only make about $25,000 a year. Of course, this changes based on geographic location. It will take some years to become experienced enough to gain a dialysis technician salary that leaves a person comfortable from paycheck to paycheck. However, there is only about one year of schooling involved with this profession. Therefore, school loans should be virtually nonexistent when compared to four year programs. Dialysis technicians should start making money right from the start, and student loan debt should never be an issue. Many people would prefer a job like that than something involving much more schooling within the medical field.