EEG Technician Salary In The United States
EEG stands for electroencephalogram, and EEG technicians and technologists use state of the art medical equipment that is designed to both test and monitor the activity of the brain. Electroencephalograms are amongst the most commonly performed tests by the EEG technicians, and according to the United States Bureau of labor Statistics which monitors the salaries of health care professionals, an EEG technician earns around $41,000 a year. While an entry-level EEG technologist typically earns around $26,000 a year, a more advanced professional can earn as much as $62,000 per year. At the time being, electroencephalogram technicians are amongst the most sought-after technologists in their industry.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The compensation for electroencephalogram professionals can vary from one US area to another, depending on the total cost of living in that particular state as well as on the training of the health care professional. It is believed that New Jersey, Alaska, Connecticut, California, New York and Hawaii are amongst the states that offer the highest mean yearly salary for EEG technicians, of over $50,000 a year. At the opposite end, there is Alabama, North Dakota and Louisiana which tend to pay these health care professionals with median wages that are under the national average. However, it must be said that states with high payments like New York or California also have higher costs of living.
Electroencephalogram Technician Job Description
An EEG technician, better known as an electroencephalogram technologist or an END technologist, usually assists neurologists and doctors in diagnosing a variety of brain abnormalities. These are skilled and highly trained professionals who operate machines, most commonly electroencephalographs. These advanced medical machines are designed to measure and record the activity of the brain waves with the help of advanced electrodes that are securely attached to the scalp of the patients. If performed correctly and accurately, an electroencephalogram can detect brain damage and various brain disorders. In some cases, the electroencephalogram technicians use tests to monitor their patients even during their sleep cycles.
In addition to performing various brain tests, the EEG technician is also responsible for checking the medical history of the patient and to explain the patient what the entire procedure is all about. Some people may be stressed or anxious because of the EEG, this is why it is very important for the technician to be calm and patient and to explain the patient everything they need to know.
Generally speaking, EEG technicians perform electroencephalograms whenever the physicna requires them. Also, it is their duty to properly prepare the patient for the procedure and to note any abnormalities that may arise throughout the testing period. After that, the EEG technologist or technician has the obligation to report the findings of the test to the phyisician or doctor of the patient, who will decide on the treatment. Electroencephalogram technicians usually work for state owned and operated hospitals, although some of them also work for private clinics or even open their own private practices.
One of the greatest benefit of becoming an EEG technician is that they can enter the medical field by having only a high school diploma or an equivalent, along with a certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation. It often happens that these health care professionals gather most of their experience through on the job training, under the close supervision of older and more experienced EEG technicians.
How To Become An EEG Technician?
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Health Information Management
- Medical Assisting
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records
- Pharmacy Technician
- Clinical Medical Assisting
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Assisting
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
EEG technicians need to be highly trained in their field of activity, given the fact that this is often a very stressful environment. Education is very important as well, because an electroencephalogram often happens to be a life saver as it can detect various conditions, from sleep disorders and epilepsy to serious and potentially life-threatening conditions such as brain tumors. The first thing you need to do in order to pursue a lucrative career in the health care industry as an EEG technician is to see whether this is the right choice for you, and to make sure that you have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, as you will need to constantly communicate with your patients.
Also, you need to be compassionate and caring with the anxious patients as well. Those who had some preparatory coursework in science throughout the high school (such as courses in computer science, mathematics, biology or chemistry) will find it a lot easier to become familiar with electroencephalographs and their mechanisms of action, as opposed to those who did not.
It often happens that EEG technicians opt for degree programs that are offered by specialized and accredited universities and community colleges, and their training programs typically include a certificate as well. Also, another very important area of EEG is choosing a field in which you can specialize, from operation room monitoring to sleep disorders – depending on the specialization you have opted for, you can enroll in further coursework or training programs.
Also, it is important to understand that different regions in the United States have different requirements when it comes to certification – regardless of your choice in terms of training, it is important to make sure that you have enrolled in a program that is accredited. An internship is an aspect of utmost important, as it will offer you additional learning experience throughout your studies and it will also help you achieve an important skill set as well. You wil lcomplete your education and training with a certificate that will help you become a certified EEG technologist and increase your job opportunities and professional stability in the long run.
The certification for EEG technologists is provided by the ABRET organization, and you need to be enrolled in a professional END or EEG program that has been previously accredited by the CAAHEP, in order to be allowed to sit for the ABRET certification. The exam will consist of two parts, a written examination along with an oral examination.
EEG Technician Salary In Canada, Australia And UK
An EEG technician makes around C$58,000 in Canada, while one that occupies the same position makes between AU$59,000 and AU$80,000 in Australia. On the other hand, the median expected salary for an electroencephalogram technician in the UK is of around 42,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On EEG Technician Salary
To conclude, EEG technicians get a very rewarding salary in spite of the fact that they do not need to undergo long-lasting training programs, unlike it happens with most medical fields nowadays.