Hemodialysis technicians, also known as dialysis technicians, are trained professionals who operate and monitor the high end medical devices that are used for purifying different bodily fluids, mainly blood. These professionals are very important for transfusion processes like hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis, and it often happens that the life of the patient depends on them. The median yearly wage of a hemodialysis technician in the United States of America is of around $32,000 a year, although in some parts of the USA these health care professionals can make as much as $41,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States Of America
The median yearly wage of a hemodyalisis technician varies across the USA. For instance, those who live and work in the state of Arkansas should expect to get around $28,000 per year, while those from Arizona make around $32,000 a year. At the opposite end, the hemodyalisis professionals who live and work in Miami make around $35,000 a year, while those from the state of Colorado should expect a median wage of around $33,000 yearly. Another high paying state for these professionals is Minnesota, with more than $34,000 a year.
Hemodialysis Technician Job Description
As you may know already, the hemodialysis process becomes of paramount importance when the kidneys of the patient can no longer filter the toxins from the body and purify the blood. When that happens, the dialysis machine steps in and simply cleans the blood. The hemodialysis technician is a skilled professional who knows how to operate such a machine, and these professionals typically work with patients of all ages. They check the fluid rates and the anticoagulant rates and adjust the dialysis machine perimeters according to the needs of each patient, and they also clean and maintain the dialysis machine on a regular basis.
The hemodialysis technician does a lot more than just operate the dialysis machine, as these professionals must have a positive bedside manner, they must be very gentle and compassionate and they must also support the patient, emotionally and physically. It is their duty to educate both the patient and the family on the different aspects of dialysis. These days, the hemodialysis professionals work in laboratories, in private doctor’s offices as well as in hospitals, although some of them can also be found in different home dialysis programs. It is extremely important for them to make sure that all the equipments are sterile and functioning properly.
How To Become A Hemodialysis Technician
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- For placement, financial and other important information, visit online.daymarcollege.edu/disclosures.
- Pharmacy Technology, Associates Degree
- Medical Assisting - Associates Degree
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Health Informatics
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- Master of Science in Health Informatics - Training and Development
- MS in Health Informatics
- Master of Science in Health Informatics - Health Data Analytics
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The first step that one needs to take in order to become a hemodialysis technician is getting a high school diploma or an equivalent, as it is essential for enrolling in a specialized training program. Although many students choose to enroll directly into such a program, some of them firstly start with what is known as a job shadowing, somewhat similar to an internship. This is usually not paid, but it is surely very important as the technician gets hands-on experience that will benefit him later in life.
The dialysis technician internship program plays a crucial role as it allows them to gather all the valuable training and to use it in the future. The educational training typically lasts from 12 to 24 months, and it is extremely important for every future hemodialysis technician to make sure that the program in which they enrolled is accredited by a competent review body.
Certification Options For Hemodialysis Technicians
At the time being, a hemodialysis technician who wants to take his expertise to the next level can opt for several different types of certification. The Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission provides the CCHT certification for dialysis technicians, and this is one of the most common and popular options as it only requires a six-month experience in the field of nephrology technology. These professionals need to have at least 3,000 documented hours of working as a dialysis technician.
On the other hand, another sought-after dialysis technician certification is the CHT provided by the BONENT, or the Board of Nephrology Examiners Nursing And Technology. Last, but not least, the Clinical Nephrology Technology certification and the Biomedical Nephrology Technology certification are provided by the National Nephrology Certification Organization and they require one year of experience. Recertification is necessary once every four years!
Hemodialysis Technician Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
In Canada, the median yearly wage of a hemodialysis technician is of Cad$38,000, while in Australia it is of Au$28,000 and in the United Kingdom it seldom exceeds 25,000 pounds a year.
Verdict On Hemodialysis Technician Salary
The salary of a hemodialysis technician is quite satisfactory, considering the necessary training and the work volume.