MRI technicians are trained professionals who specialize in the use of magnetic resonance imaging devices and medical equipment, in order to identify diseases of the internal organs and address them immediately. The MRI technicians can choose to specialize in one or more fields of radiology: they can become sonographers or mammographers, they can work as X-ray technicians or radiation therapy technicians and so on. The median yearly wage of a MRI technician is of around $54,000 a year, although some of them can make as much as $70,000 a year or more, depending on the geographical location.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The state of California is known to be the highest paying state for MRI professionals of all kinds, as here these technicians can make as much as $100,000 a year. The states of Connecticut, Washington as well as Massachusetts also pay their MRI technicians yearly wages of over $80,000, while the state of Alabama and Iowa pays them exactly the average national yearly wage of $54,000.
MRI Technician Job Description
As described above, the MRI technician is a skilled and highly trained professional who specializes in the use of different MRI scanners. MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging and, as the name implies, these high end medical devices rely on radio frequency and magnetic waves in order to produce highly accurate and detailed images of the organs and body tissues of the patient. These images will be carefully inspected by doctors and physicians later on.
Becoming an MRI technician can take years of hard work and study, and these specialists are part of a greater medical team as they commonly work closely with other doctors, physicians and various other health care providers. They can be found in private doctor’s offices, diagnostic imaging centers, hospitals and such.
The duties and responsibilities of MRI technicians vary a lot depending on the work environment, but generally speaking it is their duty to thoroughly explain different MRI procedures to patients, to carefully set the imaging parameters depending on the individual needs of each patient and then to keep record of the results. These professionals must closely look at the images provided by the MRI scanners and then forward them to a specialist, as recommended by the physician of each patient. Moreover, they also have the responsibility to explain the entire procedure to the patient before it takes place, and to help them get on the MRI table or to position them properly for the imaging scanner.
It is extremely important for every professional MRI technician to be calm and show empathy, and to make sure that each patient is feeling safe and comfortable throughout the scanning process. The MRI technician works with a variety of different patients, from children to adults, and this is precisely why it is essential for them to possess good communication and interpersonal skills. Different patients have different psychological and physical needs, and it is important for the MRI technician to pay attention to each one of them.
How To Become A MRI Technician?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
- Surgical Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Pharmacy Technology, Associates Degree
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- DIP - Pharmacy Technician
Becoming an MRI technician requires these professionals to firstly complete their training process either as radiologic technicians or as radiologic technologists. It is very important for them to get certified with the ARRT association, which stands for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
MRI technology training programs are commonly offered by universities, colleges and tens of other schools across the United States of America, and at the end of the training process you will receive either a diploma or an Associate’s Degree that will help you get a job. As it happens with any other training program for future medical specialists, the MRI technology training program covers both theoretical and practical training.
Licensing And Certification Requirements
All MRI technicians must be licensed, although the AART certification itself is voluntary. However, all MRI technicians are strongly encouraged to pursue a certification as well, in addition to the license, given the fact that it adds to both the salary and the job opportunities.
MRI Technician Salary In Canada, Australia And The Uk
In Canada, the median yearly salary is of around Ca$62,000, in Australia it is of Au$80,000 while in the United Kingdom the median yearly wage seldom exceeds 40,000 pounds a year, for these specialists.
Verdict On MRI Technician Salary
To conclude, the salary of an MRI technician is great, keeping in mind that they only need a couple years of training in order to work in the field.