MRI technicians are trained professionals who specialize in the use of magnetic resonance imaging devices and medical equipment, in order to identify diseases of the internal organs and address them immediately. The MRI technicians can choose to specialize in one or more fields of radiology: they can become sonographers or mammographers, they can work as X-ray technicians or radiation therapy technicians and so on. The median yearly wage of a MRI technician is of around $54,000 a year, although some of them can make as much as $70,000 a year or more, depending on the geographical location.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
The state of California is known to be the highest paying state for MRI professionals of all kinds, as here these technicians can make as much as $100,000 a year. The states of Connecticut, Washington as well as Massachusetts also pay their MRI technicians yearly wages of over $80,000, while the state of Alabama and Iowa pays them exactly the average national yearly wage of $54,000.
MRI Technician Job Description
As described above, the MRI technician is a skilled and highly trained professional who specializes in the use of different MRI scanners. MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging and, as the name implies, these high end medical devices rely on radio frequency and magnetic waves in order to produce highly accurate and detailed images of the organs and body tissues of the patient. These images will be carefully inspected by doctors and physicians later on.
Becoming an MRI technician can take years of hard work and study, and these specialists are part of a greater medical team as they commonly work closely with other doctors, physicians and various other health care providers. They can be found in private doctor’s offices, diagnostic imaging centers, hospitals and such.
The duties and responsibilities of MRI technicians vary a lot depending on the work environment, but generally speaking it is their duty to thoroughly explain different MRI procedures to patients, to carefully set the imaging parameters depending on the individual needs of each patient and then to keep record of the results. These professionals must closely look at the images provided by the MRI scanners and then forward them to a specialist, as recommended by the physician of each patient. Moreover, they also have the responsibility to explain the entire procedure to the patient before it takes place, and to help them get on the MRI table or to position them properly for the imaging scanner.
It is extremely important for every professional MRI technician to be calm and show empathy, and to make sure that each patient is feeling safe and comfortable throughout the scanning process. The MRI technician works with a variety of different patients, from children to adults, and this is precisely why it is essential for them to possess good communication and interpersonal skills. Different patients have different psychological and physical needs, and it is important for the MRI technician to pay attention to each one of them.
How To Become A MRI Technician?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Health Information Management
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- DIP - Pharmacy Technician
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
Becoming an MRI technician requires these professionals to firstly complete their training process either as radiologic technicians or as radiologic technologists. It is very important for them to get certified with the ARRT association, which stands for the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
MRI technology training programs are commonly offered by universities, colleges and tens of other schools across the United States of America, and at the end of the training process you will receive either a diploma or an Associate’s Degree that will help you get a job. As it happens with any other training program for future medical specialists, the MRI technology training program covers both theoretical and practical training.
Licensing And Certification Requirements
All MRI technicians must be licensed, although the AART certification itself is voluntary. However, all MRI technicians are strongly encouraged to pursue a certification as well, in addition to the license, given the fact that it adds to both the salary and the job opportunities.
MRI Technician Salary In Canada, Australia And The Uk
In Canada, the median yearly salary is of around Ca$62,000, in Australia it is of Au$80,000 while in the United Kingdom the median yearly wage seldom exceeds 40,000 pounds a year, for these specialists.
Verdict On MRI Technician Salary
To conclude, the salary of an MRI technician is great, keeping in mind that they only need a couple years of training in order to work in the field.