Operating room nurses, most commonly known as scrub nurses, are trained professionals who assist doctors, physicians and surgeons of all kinds in the operating room. They work in the sterile environment and they have a series of different duties and responsibilities, from sterilizing the tools and handling them over to the surgeons to talking to the patients prior to the surgery and explaining them everything they need to know. Operating room nurses can sometimes deal with administrative and clerical aspects of their work as well, and the median yearly wage for a scrub nurse in the United States of America revolves around the sum of $70,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In New York, an operating room nurse should expect to make around $95,000 a year, while in certain metropolitan areas of the state they can make more than $100,000 a year. In Los Angeles, Chicago and Illinois the scrub nurses are paid with around $85,000-$90,000 a year, while in Washington and New Jersey these health care professionals make around $90,000 a year.
Operating Room Nurse Job Description
These professionals work in a sterile and very fast paces environment, where it is extremely important for them to rise to the demands and expectations of the surgeons and all the other health care providers. These professionals need to make sure that all the medical equipments and tools are properly cleaned and disinfected between the surgeries, and that they are ready to be used. Also, it is the duty of the operating room nurse to properly disinfect their arms and hands prior to putting on the sterile clothing – this is precisely why they are known as “scrub nurses”.
These professionals work very closely to the patients and they often have long talks before major surgeries, trying to explain them the entire medical procedure and relieving their fears and anxieties at the same time. In other words, it is safe to say that part of the duties and responsibilities of the scrub nurses is to make the surgical experience as comfortable as possible, for the patient.
The operating room nurse is an important part of a greater medical team, and they must have good communication and interpersonal skills to keep in touch not just with the physicians, but also with the patients. They must be able to spend a lot of time on their feet and they must also possess good mental and physical stamina, otherwise they will be unable to keep up to this highly demanding environment.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- PN RN Associate Degree Bridge Program
- And more...
- Our mission is to develop skilled nurses who embody the best qualities of the profession
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- Two workplace externship opportunities to give you hands-on experience
- Practical Nursing (PN), Nursing Degree (ADN), and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
The path towards building a career and a name for yourself in the health are industry as an operating room nurse is a relatively simple and straightforward one. Generally speaking, most of the scrub nurses these days have pursued their career by firstly becoming RNs or registered nurses, and then gaining their Associate’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. After that, it is important for them to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, which will significantly improve their long-term job opportunities.
While the Associate’s Degree training program typically takes two years to complete, the Bachelor’s Degree program takes around four. One of the greatest thing about becoming a scrub nurse is that there are tens of universities and colleges across the USA that offer accredited training programs for this profession. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover different nursing and medicine-related fields, from leadership and pharmacology to biology and patient care.
Moreover, these programs combine both the theoretical training with the practical training. It is particularly important for those who choose to firstly work as registered nurses to get all the practical experience they need in the clinical setting before they move on to working as operating room nurses. They must also get and maintain different certifications, such as the BLS or the Basic Life Support or the ACLS or the Advanced Cardiac Life support, both of which take a few hours to complete.
Getting licensed as an operating room nurse involves passing the NCLEX-RN exam, and after that they can opt for the CNOR Certificate for scrub nurses provided by what is known as the Competency and Credentialing institute. For that, they need to be licensed and experienced (more than two thousand hours of documented hands-on experience).
Operating Room Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
An operating room nurse makes up to 40,000 pounds in the UK, while the maximum salary for these professionals in Canada is of CAD$90,000 and in Australia of around Au$85,000.
Verdict On Operating Room Nurse
A truly skilled, committed and experienced scrub nurse can get a six figure yearly income in the United States of America.