Operating room nurses, most commonly known as scrub nurses, are trained professionals who assist doctors, physicians and surgeons of all kinds in the operating room. They work in the sterile environment and they have a series of different duties and responsibilities, from sterilizing the tools and handling them over to the surgeons to talking to the patients prior to the surgery and explaining them everything they need to know. Operating room nurses can sometimes deal with administrative and clerical aspects of their work as well, and the median yearly wage for a scrub nurse in the United States of America revolves around the sum of $70,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In New York, an operating room nurse should expect to make around $95,000 a year, while in certain metropolitan areas of the state they can make more than $100,000 a year. In Los Angeles, Chicago and Illinois the scrub nurses are paid with around $85,000-$90,000 a year, while in Washington and New Jersey these health care professionals make around $90,000 a year.
Operating Room Nurse Job Description
These professionals work in a sterile and very fast paces environment, where it is extremely important for them to rise to the demands and expectations of the surgeons and all the other health care providers. These professionals need to make sure that all the medical equipments and tools are properly cleaned and disinfected between the surgeries, and that they are ready to be used. Also, it is the duty of the operating room nurse to properly disinfect their arms and hands prior to putting on the sterile clothing – this is precisely why they are known as “scrub nurses”.
These professionals work very closely to the patients and they often have long talks before major surgeries, trying to explain them the entire medical procedure and relieving their fears and anxieties at the same time. In other words, it is safe to say that part of the duties and responsibilities of the scrub nurses is to make the surgical experience as comfortable as possible, for the patient.
The operating room nurse is an important part of a greater medical team, and they must have good communication and interpersonal skills to keep in touch not just with the physicians, but also with the patients. They must be able to spend a lot of time on their feet and they must also possess good mental and physical stamina, otherwise they will be unable to keep up to this highly demanding environment.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- And more...
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
The path towards building a career and a name for yourself in the health are industry as an operating room nurse is a relatively simple and straightforward one. Generally speaking, most of the scrub nurses these days have pursued their career by firstly becoming RNs or registered nurses, and then gaining their Associate’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. After that, it is important for them to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, which will significantly improve their long-term job opportunities.
While the Associate’s Degree training program typically takes two years to complete, the Bachelor’s Degree program takes around four. One of the greatest thing about becoming a scrub nurse is that there are tens of universities and colleges across the USA that offer accredited training programs for this profession. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover different nursing and medicine-related fields, from leadership and pharmacology to biology and patient care.
Moreover, these programs combine both the theoretical training with the practical training. It is particularly important for those who choose to firstly work as registered nurses to get all the practical experience they need in the clinical setting before they move on to working as operating room nurses. They must also get and maintain different certifications, such as the BLS or the Basic Life Support or the ACLS or the Advanced Cardiac Life support, both of which take a few hours to complete.
Getting licensed as an operating room nurse involves passing the NCLEX-RN exam, and after that they can opt for the CNOR Certificate for scrub nurses provided by what is known as the Competency and Credentialing institute. For that, they need to be licensed and experienced (more than two thousand hours of documented hands-on experience).
Operating Room Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
An operating room nurse makes up to 40,000 pounds in the UK, while the maximum salary for these professionals in Canada is of CAD$90,000 and in Australia of around Au$85,000.
Verdict On Operating Room Nurse
A truly skilled, committed and experienced scrub nurse can get a six figure yearly income in the United States of America.