Operating room nurses, most commonly known as scrub nurses, are trained professionals who assist doctors, physicians and surgeons of all kinds in the operating room. They work in the sterile environment and they have a series of different duties and responsibilities, from sterilizing the tools and handling them over to the surgeons to talking to the patients prior to the surgery and explaining them everything they need to know. Operating room nurses can sometimes deal with administrative and clerical aspects of their work as well, and the median yearly wage for a scrub nurse in the United States of America revolves around the sum of $70,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In New York, an operating room nurse should expect to make around $95,000 a year, while in certain metropolitan areas of the state they can make more than $100,000 a year. In Los Angeles, Chicago and Illinois the scrub nurses are paid with around $85,000-$90,000 a year, while in Washington and New Jersey these health care professionals make around $90,000 a year.
Operating Room Nurse Job Description
These professionals work in a sterile and very fast paces environment, where it is extremely important for them to rise to the demands and expectations of the surgeons and all the other health care providers. These professionals need to make sure that all the medical equipments and tools are properly cleaned and disinfected between the surgeries, and that they are ready to be used. Also, it is the duty of the operating room nurse to properly disinfect their arms and hands prior to putting on the sterile clothing – this is precisely why they are known as “scrub nurses”.
These professionals work very closely to the patients and they often have long talks before major surgeries, trying to explain them the entire medical procedure and relieving their fears and anxieties at the same time. In other words, it is safe to say that part of the duties and responsibilities of the scrub nurses is to make the surgical experience as comfortable as possible, for the patient.
The operating room nurse is an important part of a greater medical team, and they must have good communication and interpersonal skills to keep in touch not just with the physicians, but also with the patients. They must be able to spend a lot of time on their feet and they must also possess good mental and physical stamina, otherwise they will be unable to keep up to this highly demanding environment.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Nursing—RN-to-BSN, Master of Science in Nursing, and more.
- Experienced faculty members provide a practical knowledge of patient care, treatments, and research in the field of nursing.
- Courses designed to keep students up to date with the latest advances in medical technology.
- Online and on-campus programs have flexible schedules, designed for working professionals.
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
- And more...
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- And more...
- BSN completion program for Registered Nurses is available entirely online.
- The RN to BSN program is designed to help students advance their career, or prepare for post-graduate opportunities.
- Courses teach modern health assessment and treatment methods, how to evaluate potential disease or injury, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing - Master's
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree
The path towards building a career and a name for yourself in the health are industry as an operating room nurse is a relatively simple and straightforward one. Generally speaking, most of the scrub nurses these days have pursued their career by firstly becoming RNs or registered nurses, and then gaining their Associate’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. After that, it is important for them to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, which will significantly improve their long-term job opportunities.
While the Associate’s Degree training program typically takes two years to complete, the Bachelor’s Degree program takes around four. One of the greatest thing about becoming a scrub nurse is that there are tens of universities and colleges across the USA that offer accredited training programs for this profession. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover different nursing and medicine-related fields, from leadership and pharmacology to biology and patient care.
Moreover, these programs combine both the theoretical training with the practical training. It is particularly important for those who choose to firstly work as registered nurses to get all the practical experience they need in the clinical setting before they move on to working as operating room nurses. They must also get and maintain different certifications, such as the BLS or the Basic Life Support or the ACLS or the Advanced Cardiac Life support, both of which take a few hours to complete.
Getting licensed as an operating room nurse involves passing the NCLEX-RN exam, and after that they can opt for the CNOR Certificate for scrub nurses provided by what is known as the Competency and Credentialing institute. For that, they need to be licensed and experienced (more than two thousand hours of documented hands-on experience).
Operating Room Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
An operating room nurse makes up to 40,000 pounds in the UK, while the maximum salary for these professionals in Canada is of CAD$90,000 and in Australia of around Au$85,000.
Verdict On Operating Room Nurse
A truly skilled, committed and experienced scrub nurse can get a six figure yearly income in the United States of America.