Operating room nurses, most commonly known as scrub nurses, are trained professionals who assist doctors, physicians and surgeons of all kinds in the operating room. They work in the sterile environment and they have a series of different duties and responsibilities, from sterilizing the tools and handling them over to the surgeons to talking to the patients prior to the surgery and explaining them everything they need to know. Operating room nurses can sometimes deal with administrative and clerical aspects of their work as well, and the median yearly wage for a scrub nurse in the United States of America revolves around the sum of $70,000.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States of America
In New York, an operating room nurse should expect to make around $95,000 a year, while in certain metropolitan areas of the state they can make more than $100,000 a year. In Los Angeles, Chicago and Illinois the scrub nurses are paid with around $85,000-$90,000 a year, while in Washington and New Jersey these health care professionals make around $90,000 a year.
Operating Room Nurse Job Description
These professionals work in a sterile and very fast paces environment, where it is extremely important for them to rise to the demands and expectations of the surgeons and all the other health care providers. These professionals need to make sure that all the medical equipments and tools are properly cleaned and disinfected between the surgeries, and that they are ready to be used. Also, it is the duty of the operating room nurse to properly disinfect their arms and hands prior to putting on the sterile clothing – this is precisely why they are known as “scrub nurses”.
These professionals work very closely to the patients and they often have long talks before major surgeries, trying to explain them the entire medical procedure and relieving their fears and anxieties at the same time. In other words, it is safe to say that part of the duties and responsibilities of the scrub nurses is to make the surgical experience as comfortable as possible, for the patient.
The operating room nurse is an important part of a greater medical team, and they must have good communication and interpersonal skills to keep in touch not just with the physicians, but also with the patients. They must be able to spend a lot of time on their feet and they must also possess good mental and physical stamina, otherwise they will be unable to keep up to this highly demanding environment.
How To Become An Operating Room Nurse?
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- BS Nursing Generalist
- AAS/ADN Nursing
- AAS Medical Assisting
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
- Nursing (RN) - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Practical Nursing Diploma
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Nursing (Registered Nurse - R.N. to B.S.N)
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Practical Nursing
- Medical Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to BSN (licensed RNs only)
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- And more...
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
The path towards building a career and a name for yourself in the health are industry as an operating room nurse is a relatively simple and straightforward one. Generally speaking, most of the scrub nurses these days have pursued their career by firstly becoming RNs or registered nurses, and then gaining their Associate’s Degree in the Science of Nursing. After that, it is important for them to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, which will significantly improve their long-term job opportunities.
While the Associate’s Degree training program typically takes two years to complete, the Bachelor’s Degree program takes around four. One of the greatest thing about becoming a scrub nurse is that there are tens of universities and colleges across the USA that offer accredited training programs for this profession. The coursework is rather complex and it will cover different nursing and medicine-related fields, from leadership and pharmacology to biology and patient care.
Moreover, these programs combine both the theoretical training with the practical training. It is particularly important for those who choose to firstly work as registered nurses to get all the practical experience they need in the clinical setting before they move on to working as operating room nurses. They must also get and maintain different certifications, such as the BLS or the Basic Life Support or the ACLS or the Advanced Cardiac Life support, both of which take a few hours to complete.
Getting licensed as an operating room nurse involves passing the NCLEX-RN exam, and after that they can opt for the CNOR Certificate for scrub nurses provided by what is known as the Competency and Credentialing institute. For that, they need to be licensed and experienced (more than two thousand hours of documented hands-on experience).
Operating Room Nurse Salary In Canada, Australia And The UK
An operating room nurse makes up to 40,000 pounds in the UK, while the maximum salary for these professionals in Canada is of CAD$90,000 and in Australia of around Au$85,000.
Verdict On Operating Room Nurse
A truly skilled, committed and experienced scrub nurse can get a six figure yearly income in the United States of America.