Patient care technicians are a very important part of the medical team, as they take good care of the patients. Not everybody can become a good patient care technician, given the fact that this job requires a lot of skill and empathy, not to mention that a good PCT must also be very attentive to the needs of their patients. The mean yearly salary of a patient care technician in the United States of America varies anywhere between $15,000 and $45,000 a year, depending on the employment type, the experience of the technician as well as the location.
Pay Scale In Different Areas Of The United States of America
Alabama pays its patient care technician a mean yearly salary of no less than $39,000 a year, while the state of Connecticut offers them around $41,000 a year. California is one of the highest paying states, with a mean yearly wage of $42,000, followed by Illinois with $40,000, Arkansas with $38,000 as well as Mississippi with just under $42,000. The state of Indiana also pays its PCTs a mean yearly salary of $38,00, and so does the state of Maryland.
Patient Care Technician Job Description
These health care professionals work in a wide array of clinics, rehab centers, hospitals and nursing homes, and they typically deal with either disabled or severely injured patients, or with those who are mentally ill. The duties and responsibilities of a typical patient care technician are many, and these professionals usually assist nurses and doctors during medical examinations.
In some cases, the PCTs may also set up all the therapeutic equipment, record and monitor the blood pressure of patients along with their temperature and pulse rate, record the overall health condition of the patients and report it to the medical authorities, serve them meals and look after their personal hygiene. It is not uncommon for the patient care technician to also help the patients get dressed or bathe, in some cases.
It is the duty of the patient care technician to make sure that the room is clean, and that the lacerations that resulted from prolonged bed rest are clean and properly irrigated. These health care professionals may also need to collect and test various specimens that will be sent over to the laboratory.
How To Become A Patient Care Technician?
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records
- Pharmacy Technician
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Health Information Management
- Medical Assisting
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Clinical Concentration
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Assisting
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
Most of the patient care technicians nowadays work in hospitals or similar clinical settings, where they help their patients do their daily tasks. Generally speaking, the patient care technician also has the skills and knowledge of the phlebotomy technician, given the fact that they often need to collect blood samples.
The first step toward becoming a patient care technician is to become a CNA, and fortunately all the community colleges have a program that helps you get a deeper insight in the field. Schooling only takes a few months, and you need to focus on an accredited training program, as only this way you will be eligible to sit for the National Certification Exam later on. Once you get certified as a CNA, it is highly recommended to get some practical experience in a home health care facility, a nursing home, a hospital or an adult day care destined to mentally challenged adults. Only after that you can move on to becoming a PCT, and you can apply for a full-time position.
If you plan to become certified as a patient care technician, then you should know that certification is essential for validating your abilities, skills and knowledge as a PCT. Certification is essential not only for the health care workers but also for the employers, as you will have more chances to get employed. At the same time, if you plan to work independently for people who need your professional assistance, a certification will also give your employer the peace of mind they need, knowing that they have hired a professional.
Becoming a certified patient care technician can take several years, and after you have graduated from an allied health vocational program of training, you will need to get at least one year-experience in the work field.
Patient Care Technician Salary In Canada, Australia And The United Kingdom
A patient care technician who works in Canada should expect to be paid anything between Ca$30,000 and Ca$37,000, while one who works in the United Kingdom is paid between 12,000 and 18,000 pounds a year. On the other hand, an Australian patient care technician should expect a mean salary between Au$32,000 and Au$50,000.
Verdict On Patient Care Technician Salary
If you are looking for a career in the medical field that will not require years of training and study, then becoming a PCT may be the best choice for you.