Radiologic technologists are medical specialists who work either in public hospitals or in private practices. They are trained to operate high end medical imaging devices and equipments, in order to help doctors and physicians put an accurate diagnosis. It often happens that a good radiologic technologist can make the difference between life and death, as these professionals create 3D images of the internal organs and tissues with the help of advanced medical equipment, thus helping physicians identify life-threatening diseases. The median yearly wage of a radiologic technologist is of around $57,000 a year, although this can vary greatly.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States Of America
The State of New York is currently the highest paying one for radiologic technologists, along with Mississippi, as this is where these professionals are paid with around $73,000 a year. The states of Virginia, Washington and Massachusetts reward them with around $71,000 a year, while the states of Connecticut and Georgia offer them a median yearly wage that is just under $70,000.
Radiologic Technologist Job Description
It is the responsibility and primary duty of the radiologic technologist to carefully operate different machines and equipments to reproduce accurate and clear images of the internal organs of patients, thus mapping out and diagnosing conditions in real-time. They can use X-ray machines, ultrasound machines, MRIs or magnetic resonance imaging devices and a plethora of other similar devices.
These professionals can also use CT scan equipments or mammograms in order to map out different areas of the body that are susceptible to disease and illness. It is entirely up to the radiologic technicians to decide whether they will specialize in just one type of diagnostic imaging device or in two or more different types.
Also, the daily duties of these professionals are varied, as they are responsible with keeping accurate and up to date patient records, adjusting the radiology equipment, performing X-rays, mammographs and other similar tasks, taking care of the patients, educating them about the entire scanning process, preparing them for the scanning as well as taking their general health history.
How To Become A Radiologic Technologist?
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Health Information Management
Ultimate Medical Academy Educates Future Healthcare Professionals
You bring your goals and motivation to UMA, and we will provide you the education and the support to help make you a success! Even if you haven’t been serious about your career before, we can help boost your confidence and prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- A.S. - Healthcare Technology and Systems
- Diploma - Healthcare Technology and Systems
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Information Management
- BS in Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Informatics Specialization
If you have decided that becoming a radiologic technologist is the best thing for you, then it is important to firstly find some formal training programs that allow you to get either an Associate’s or a Bachelor’s Degree in the field. Some of these training programs can also culminate with a certificate. The length of the training program is determined by the type of program you have opted for: an Associate’s Degree training program can typically be completed within two years or less, while a Bachelor’s Degree program usually takes up to four years to complete.
On the other hand, those who already have some degree of expertise in the field can skip the formal training and opt directly for the certificate program which can take between six and twelve months to complete. All the training courses emphasize on both the practical and the theoretical aspects of working as a radiologic technician or technologist, and the comprehensive coursework will cover topics like image interpretation, human anatomy and pathology, radiation and so on. One of the most important aspects regarding radiologic technologists is that their training never truly ends, as they need to pursue continuing education in order to be up to date with all the new discoveries in the radiation industry.
In order to work as a radiologic technologist in the United States of America, you must firstly get your license as otherwise you cannot practice legally. Getting your license can be a daunting task for some professionals, as it involves having a higher education degree provided by an accredited school. It is extremely important to make sure that the school you have enrolled in is accredited by the JRCERT, or the Joint Review Committee for Education in Radiologic Technology.
Radiologic Technologist Salary In Canada, Australia And The Uk
In Canada, the median yearly wage for these professionals is of around CAD$90,000, in Australia it ranges between Au$40,000 and Au$90,000 while in the United Kingdom the median yearly salary for these professionals typically ranges between 20,000 and as much as 40,000.
Verdict On Radiologic Technologist Salary
To conclude, radiologic technology professionals are usually very well-paid, both in the public and in the private sector.