The median annual radiology technician salary in the United States is reported to be about $50,000 per annum or about $25 per hour. The top 10th percentile in this profession reported a salary of about $60,000 or more per year or about $30 or more per hour. The bottom 10th percentile of radiology technicians reported an income of about $42,000 or less per year which is about $21 or less per hour. The middle 50% of the radiographers earn a salary ranging between $45,000 and $54,000 per year or $22 and $27 per hour. Radiology technicians may be entitled to some benefits from their employers. Employers can pay out such benefits as social security, healthcare benefits, pensions, 401K and paid time off. When these benefits are added to the base salary of a radiology technician, the median total compensation package is about $72,000 per year. Like most other jobs, a radiology technician’s salary will be determined by many factors. People in this profession work in many different industries such as hospitals, private practices, specialist treatment centers, government, education and other industries. The pay in each of these areas is different. Another factor that affects their salary is hours of work. Most in this profession are employed fulltime. And it is very common to find some working at night because the job has a lot to do with emergency situations. Overtime work can drive the earnings up considerably. Another factor is work experience. Those with more work experience will earn more than those with less work experience. One more factor that affects the salary is training. There are different qualification levels. There are those with associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or no degree at all. And then there are some with certification and some without. This can affect the salary of a radiology technician.
Job description of a radiology technician
Radiology technicians with imaging machines that uses radiation to produce images of parts of the human body to aid in diagnosing ailments. They mostly work with x-ray machines. Find below some common tasks taken by a radiology technician:
- They operate x-ray machines to obtain x-ray images of parts of the patient’s body as requested by a physician radiologist for diagnostic purposes
- They prepare a patient for the imaging procedure. This includes talking to patients, obtaining and recording medical history, removing all jewelry and metallic objects from the patient and positioning the patient in the right position
- They adjust imaging equipment in the correct position to obtain the best image of the body area desired
- Talk to patients about the procedure in order to alleviate any fears and encourage cooperation
- Read physician’s requests to determine the exact areas to make images of
- Maintain equipment to ensure proper operation
- Ensure all supplies for taking x-rays such as films and chemicals are available
Radiology technicians also prevent patients from unnecessary radiation exposure. They use radiation protection devices to block areas of the body that do not need to be x-rayed and also adjust the x-ray beam to only the parts needed. Technicians with advanced training and experience can perform more intricate imaging procedures such as fluoroscopies.
How to become a radiology technician
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Radiologic Technology
- Associate of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Associate of Science in Radiation Therapy
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Radiologic Technology
Pursue your education with American College for Medical Careers. We offer degree and diploma programs in the allied health field at our campus in Orlando, Florida.
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Associate of Applied Science in Radiologic Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Radiological Science
- Certificate in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography (General Concentration)
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
The Berkeley Advantage®
Preparing students for professional and personal success is what Berkeley College is all about. From career-focused degree and certificate programs offered in some of today’s most in-demand professions to extensive support resources, YOU are at the center of everything we do at Berkeley. Our commitment to students begins with their very first inquiries.
- Certificate in Patient Care Technician
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- A.S. - Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Patient Care Technician
Verdict on radiology technician salary
A radiology technician salary isn’t going to make you reach but is a good way to help pay the bills. Although we wouldn’t call the training easy (as it involves studying hard), it is relatively easier compared with other medical professions. The radiology technician salary is worth it if you are not too financially ambitious.