The median annual radiology technician salary in the United States is reported to be about $50,000 per annum or about $25 per hour. The top 10th percentile in this profession reported a salary of about $60,000 or more per year or about $30 or more per hour. The bottom 10th percentile of radiology technicians reported an income of about $42,000 or less per year which is about $21 or less per hour. The middle 50% of the radiographers earn a salary ranging between $45,000 and $54,000 per year or $22 and $27 per hour. Radiology technicians may be entitled to some benefits from their employers. Employers can pay out such benefits as social security, healthcare benefits, pensions, 401K and paid time off. When these benefits are added to the base salary of a radiology technician, the median total compensation package is about $72,000 per year. Like most other jobs, a radiology technician’s salary will be determined by many factors. People in this profession work in many different industries such as hospitals, private practices, specialist treatment centers, government, education and other industries. The pay in each of these areas is different. Another factor that affects their salary is hours of work. Most in this profession are employed fulltime. And it is very common to find some working at night because the job has a lot to do with emergency situations. Overtime work can drive the earnings up considerably. Another factor is work experience. Those with more work experience will earn more than those with less work experience. One more factor that affects the salary is training. There are different qualification levels. There are those with associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or no degree at all. And then there are some with certification and some without. This can affect the salary of a radiology technician.
Job description of a radiology technician
Radiology technicians with imaging machines that uses radiation to produce images of parts of the human body to aid in diagnosing ailments. They mostly work with x-ray machines. Find below some common tasks taken by a radiology technician:
- They operate x-ray machines to obtain x-ray images of parts of the patient’s body as requested by a physician radiologist for diagnostic purposes
- They prepare a patient for the imaging procedure. This includes talking to patients, obtaining and recording medical history, removing all jewelry and metallic objects from the patient and positioning the patient in the right position
- They adjust imaging equipment in the correct position to obtain the best image of the body area desired
- Talk to patients about the procedure in order to alleviate any fears and encourage cooperation
- Read physician’s requests to determine the exact areas to make images of
- Maintain equipment to ensure proper operation
- Ensure all supplies for taking x-rays such as films and chemicals are available
Radiology technicians also prevent patients from unnecessary radiation exposure. They use radiation protection devices to block areas of the body that do not need to be x-rayed and also adjust the x-ray beam to only the parts needed. Technicians with advanced training and experience can perform more intricate imaging procedures such as fluoroscopies.
How to become a radiology technician
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!
Verdict on radiology technician salary
A radiology technician salary isn’t going to make you reach but is a good way to help pay the bills. Although we wouldn’t call the training easy (as it involves studying hard), it is relatively easier compared with other medical professions. The radiology technician salary is worth it if you are not too financially ambitious.