Scrub technicians, commonly referred to as surgical nurses in the medical environment, are trained health care providers who work close to surgeons and other physicians in the operating room. It is the duty of the scrub tech to pass the surgeon all the surgical instruments he requires, and it is also their duty to make sure that the environment in the operating room is 100% sterile. They prepare the patients for the surgery by cleaning the incision sites, and they also prepare all the sterile solutions that will be used later on, during the surgery. The median yearly salary of such a professional is of around $59,000 a year, in the United States of America.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The highest paying states for scrub technicians are the state of Maryland and California, where these medical specialists get a median yearly salary of over $60,000, which is above the national average. The states of New York, Texas and Washington D.C. also offer scrub technicians mean wages that are above the national average, although this depends a lot on the employer and the working environment.
Scrub Tech Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the scrub technician are not limited solely to the surgical room, as these professionals must firstly make sure that the operating room is clean and sterile, and that so are the instruments. Also, it is the duty of the scrub technician to place the patient on the table as well as to transport all the medical supplies to the surgical room. As the name says, these professionals use sterile gowns, gloves and protective masks to ensure a fully sterile environment.
Scrub technicians work hand in hand with anesthesia technicians, as they properly prepare the patient for surgery by cleaning and washing the area that is about to be operated. It is the responsibility of the scrub technician to be familiar with tens, if not hundreds of different surgical instruments and technologies, and to assist the surgeon by manipulating the tissue and holding the skin retractors. Surgical techs are not allowed to perform any kind of surgery, they just assist the surgeon.
The duties of the surgical technologist extend after the operation is complete, because after the surgery the scrub tech applies the bandages to the patient and helps changing the dressing. They often sterilize the surgical instruments before another surgery.
How To Become A Scrub Tech?
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Electronic Health Records
- Pharmacy Technician
- Clinical Medical Assisting
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Health Informatics
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Clinical Support
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting-Concentration in Management
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Sterile Processing Technician
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Veterinary Assistant
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Although laying out the instruments and assisting the doctor in surgery may not seem as a complicated task, becoming a scrub nurse surely requires a lot of time, training and effort. It is important for these health care specialists to be familiar with all the different medical instruments that are used, to place the equipment before the surgery and then to operate suction machines and monitor the vital signs of the patient. That being said, it is important for every scrub tech to get higher education in medicine and in the different surgical procedures available.
It is recommended to enroll in science classes during high school, if you know you want to work in the medical field later on. After you have finished high school, you must enroll in an accredited school that offers an Associate’s Degree – these school offer a two-year training period and it can culminate with a certificate in surgical technology, sometimes. There may be some scholarships available for those who want to become scrub techs.
After the two years of training, you will get your diploma, degree or certificate. Throughout the training, you will get a deeper insight into surgical procedures, operating room techniques, microbiology, medical terminology as well as nursing assistant training. The final step is to pass the certification exam administered by the state and given by the NBSTSA.
Certification For Scrub Techs
It is highly recommended to consider pursuing a certification as a scrub tech – the Certified Surgical Technologist certification, also known as the CST designation, is provided by the NBSTSA and you must firstly graduate from an accredited surgical technologist in order to be eligible for the exam. The other credential is the TS-C which is provided by the National Center for Competency Training.
Scrub Technician Salary In Salary, Canada And The United Kingdom
A scrub tech who works in Canada should expect to earn between C$38,000 and C$60,000, while one from Australia has a median yearly wage of Au$61,000. One who works in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, gets a median yearly salary of around 45,000 pounds.
Verdict On Scrub Tech Salary
To conclude, becoming a scrub tech requires a short period of theoretical and practical training, and the salary is certainly very motivating!