Scrub technicians, commonly referred to as surgical nurses in the medical environment, are trained health care providers who work close to surgeons and other physicians in the operating room. It is the duty of the scrub tech to pass the surgeon all the surgical instruments he requires, and it is also their duty to make sure that the environment in the operating room is 100% sterile. They prepare the patients for the surgery by cleaning the incision sites, and they also prepare all the sterile solutions that will be used later on, during the surgery. The median yearly salary of such a professional is of around $59,000 a year, in the United States of America.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The highest paying states for scrub technicians are the state of Maryland and California, where these medical specialists get a median yearly salary of over $60,000, which is above the national average. The states of New York, Texas and Washington D.C. also offer scrub technicians mean wages that are above the national average, although this depends a lot on the employer and the working environment.
Scrub Tech Job Description
The duties and responsibilities of the scrub technician are not limited solely to the surgical room, as these professionals must firstly make sure that the operating room is clean and sterile, and that so are the instruments. Also, it is the duty of the scrub technician to place the patient on the table as well as to transport all the medical supplies to the surgical room. As the name says, these professionals use sterile gowns, gloves and protective masks to ensure a fully sterile environment.
Scrub technicians work hand in hand with anesthesia technicians, as they properly prepare the patient for surgery by cleaning and washing the area that is about to be operated. It is the responsibility of the scrub technician to be familiar with tens, if not hundreds of different surgical instruments and technologies, and to assist the surgeon by manipulating the tissue and holding the skin retractors. Surgical techs are not allowed to perform any kind of surgery, they just assist the surgeon.
The duties of the surgical technologist extend after the operation is complete, because after the surgery the scrub tech applies the bandages to the patient and helps changing the dressing. They often sterilize the surgical instruments before another surgery.
How To Become A Scrub Tech?
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Master of Health Informatics
- Provides the healthcare knowledge & technical skills students need to get ahead
- SACS accredited with campuses in VA, FL, NC, SC & flexible online & on-campus courses
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Supportive learning atmosphere with small class sizes & plenty of academic support
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Medical Radiography - Associate's
- Surgical Technology - Associate's
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Although laying out the instruments and assisting the doctor in surgery may not seem as a complicated task, becoming a scrub nurse surely requires a lot of time, training and effort. It is important for these health care specialists to be familiar with all the different medical instruments that are used, to place the equipment before the surgery and then to operate suction machines and monitor the vital signs of the patient. That being said, it is important for every scrub tech to get higher education in medicine and in the different surgical procedures available.
It is recommended to enroll in science classes during high school, if you know you want to work in the medical field later on. After you have finished high school, you must enroll in an accredited school that offers an Associate’s Degree – these school offer a two-year training period and it can culminate with a certificate in surgical technology, sometimes. There may be some scholarships available for those who want to become scrub techs.
After the two years of training, you will get your diploma, degree or certificate. Throughout the training, you will get a deeper insight into surgical procedures, operating room techniques, microbiology, medical terminology as well as nursing assistant training. The final step is to pass the certification exam administered by the state and given by the NBSTSA.
Certification For Scrub Techs
It is highly recommended to consider pursuing a certification as a scrub tech – the Certified Surgical Technologist certification, also known as the CST designation, is provided by the NBSTSA and you must firstly graduate from an accredited surgical technologist in order to be eligible for the exam. The other credential is the TS-C which is provided by the National Center for Competency Training.
Scrub Technician Salary In Salary, Canada And The United Kingdom
A scrub tech who works in Canada should expect to earn between C$38,000 and C$60,000, while one from Australia has a median yearly wage of Au$61,000. One who works in the United Kingdom, on the other hand, gets a median yearly salary of around 45,000 pounds.
Verdict On Scrub Tech Salary
To conclude, becoming a scrub tech requires a short period of theoretical and practical training, and the salary is certainly very motivating!