The median veterinary technician salary (also referred to as vet tech salary) in the United States is reported to be about $28,000 per year which is about $13 per hour. The top 10th percentile in this profession reported annual salaries of about $38,000 or more which is about $19 or more per hour. The bottom 10th percentile reported a salary of about $ 18,000 or less per year or about $8 or less per hour. The middle 50 percent of veterinary technician (vet tech) reported salaries of between $22,000 and $34,000 per annum or between $11 and $16 per hour.
Some employers offer benefits and bonuses to their employees. benefits such as social security, healthcare benefits, paid time off, 401K and pension could bring the average compensation package (including base salary) of a veterinary tech (vet tech) to about $43,000 per year.
Job description of a veterinary technician
So what does a veterinary technician (vet tech) do? They carry out medical tests, under a licensed veterinarian’s supervision, to aid in the treatment and diagnosis of diseases and injuries in animals.
Veterinary techs are essentially what a nurse is to a physician. What they end up doing vastly depends on the responsibilities their employer gives them. However there are some common duties that most vet techs perform. They may carry out laboratory tests such as urine analysis (urinalysis) and blood analysis. They often assist veterinarians with dental prophylaxis. They are often responsible for the preparation of tissue culture, taking of blood samples and operation of diagnosis equipment.
Veterinary technicians or vet techs are also responsible for cleaning and sterilization of tools such as test tubes, maintenance and operating of equipment. Although they largely work in laboratory settings, they may also be required by their employer to perform non-laboratory duties. These include doing paper work such as obtaining and recording of patient’s information, exposing and developing x-rays and sometimes giving nursing care.
Most veterinary technicians work in animal hospitals or private veterinary clinics. A few find themselves working for research facilities, performing such tasks as administering medication, preparing samples for laboratory and recording information about animals.
How to become a veterinary technician (Vet tech)
- Veterinary Assistant
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
The best way to become a veterinary technician is to complete a 2 year associate’s degree program in veterinary technology from an accredited community college. These programs provide practical training where live animals are used in a laboratory or clinical setting. There are a handful of colleges that provide a longer 4 year degree program in veterinary technology.
Enrolling in an accredited program ensures that you will be able to take the necessary credential examination. Accreditation is from the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). It varies from state to state but most states require a vet tech to be licensed, certified or registered to be able to practice. The most common certification exam required by most states is the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE).
There are specific certification for vet techs wanting to work in research facilities. Visit the American Association for Laboratory animal science for more information about this.
High school students wanting to become veterinary technicians should take classes in biology, chemistry and other science related programs.
Veterinary technician salary (vet tech salary) in other countries (UK, Canada, Australia).
In Australia, they are referred to as veterinary nurses and their job description is the same. Vet nurses salary (veterinary tech salary) in Australia is reported to between AU$29,000 and AU$51,000 with the median salary at AU$39,000 per year.
In Canada, the average salary of a veterinary technician is about CA$17 per hour. The vet tech salary in Canada ranges from CA$15 to CA$20 per hour.
In the United Kingdom (UK), they are known as veterinary nurse (vet nurse). Their salary ranges from £14,000 to £25,000 per year. Salary varies depending on years of experience.
A veterinary technician salary (veterinary tech salary) is not a very high paying job and you certainly won’t get rich doing it. Most people eventually acquire further training and move on from the profession. It is still a good starting career to help you move on to higher things.