ABA Therapist Salary In The USA
ABA is an acronym that stands for applied behavior analysis, and aba therapists focus on the behavior of the patient. The average yearly salary of an ABA therapist in the United States is of $32,000 and the job outlook is excellent. However, it is not uncommon for the yearly wage to reach $61,000, especially if they have up to nine years of experience or above.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The United States
The pay scale of a skilled ABA therapist can vary greatly from one part of the US to another, and it is known that some areas pay better, such as Los Angeles. Other areas where ABA therapists are paid the most include Houston, Dallas or Indianapolis, with a national average of $32,000. Statistically speaking, the pay scale has increased by no less than 9% in Los Angeles.
Job Description Of an ABA Therapist
These are professionals who usually work with children that have various developmental disabilities, usually autism. Some of them work with group settings while others treat their patients individually. The final purpose of every skilled and trained ABA therapist is to help the patient improve development, growth and ultimately, the quality of their life. It is their duty to help children with autism and those who suffer from other related developmental issues to build socially useful skills, through the use of highly structured treatment programs that are geared toward the individual needs and requirements of each patient.
Based on fundamental principles of behavior analysis, these professionals can help children improve their language and academic skills, they play skills and prevent aggressive behavior that is very common. Also, another notable responsibility of these professionals is evaluating the overall effectiveness of the treatment program and to bring any necessary modifications to it, to improve it even more in the long run.
How To Become An ABA Therapist
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Discipleship and Church Ministry
- Master of Arts: Pastoral Counseling: Crisis Response and Trauma
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
In order to become an ABA therapist, one firstly needs to have innate, genuine skills that help them communicate and show empathy towards the children that need it. Regarding the formal training, most ABA therapists require a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology or childhood education, followed by a Master’s Degree or a Doctoral Degree in psychology or any other related field.
These professionals often have their own private practices, or they can also choose to work for consulting firms, social service agencies, schools and such. It is not uncommon for the ABA therapist to travel a lot for work-related purposes, or to work with autism centers for education. Also, you should expect working up to 40 hours a week or even more, and it is not uncommon for ABA therapists to work irregular hours in order to accommodate their patients. Learn more about ABA therapy schools here.
Getting The Required Certification For Becoming An ABA Therapist
The certification or license plays a crucial role, and this is the next most important thing you need to do after getting a Master’s or a Doctoral degree in either Early Child Development or in Psychology. Most of the institutions that deal with the educational training of future ABA therapists do it in three recognized credentials. Earning a post-professional certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis is also important, as it requires extensive coursework The certification is provided by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board which is known to provide two different credentials, and it is important to have a Master’s Degree in order to get it and to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst.
ABA Therapist Salary In Canada, UK And Australia
The payment varies a lot from one family to another as well as from one working environment to another, and it also depends a lot on the academic qualifications and the overall experience and dedication of the ABA therapist in question. Generally speaking, in Australia the ABA therapists can receive between AU$15 and AU $25 per hour, and an average yearly salary of around AU$42,000. On the other hand, the average yearly salary of an ABA therapist in the United Kingdom varies between 14,000 and 29,000 pounds, and in addition to this the therapists can get other cash benefits and bonuses as well. In Canada, these professionals should expect to earn anywhere between C$30,000 and C$65,000 a year.
Verdict On ABA Therapist Salary
To sum it up, if you love working with children and helping them live an easier and better life, then becoming an ABA therapist is undoubtedly a great choice. Besides this, the payment is relatively good as well, especially if you take into account all the bonuses that add to the monthly salary.