Applied Behavior Analysis, or ABA, therapists are experts in a field that used to be known as behavior modification for patients with learning and social problems. Certified ABA therapists must undergo accredited ABA therapist courses at any level from undergraduate to doctoral level, but those seeking accreditation with a bachelor’s degree from ABA therapist schools have more limited options for their future employment.
ABA therapist training cannot begin until a candidate reaches a specific level of education, which for most programs is at least a bachelor’s degree. There is not a specific ABA therapist degree, which can be taken, but a therapist trained in psychology can seek entry to ABA therapist classes. Upon being trained a course of continuing education must be completed to maintain a state license, which is a required part of practicing lawfully in any area of the US.
Top ABA Therapist Schools
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Averett University is a top-ranked, fully-accredited institution that offers students over 30 undergraduate majors, minors and special programs, and 5 master's programs.
- Accelerated programs designed for convenience: choose from weekly evening courses at one of Averett's Virginia locations or study online and on your own time.
- Averett University was named one of Virginia’s top colleges for return on investment, and their average scholarship package lowers the cost of attendance further by almost 40%.
- Averett offers students learning experiences that mirror real-life situations. This means you can put today's lesson to the test during tomorrow’s workday.
- Averett University's 12:1 student-professor ratio makes your education a collaborative endeavor based on close relationships between students and faculty.
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Integrative Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Counseling and Clinical
- Bachelor of Science - Psychology - Biological Psychology
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling - Marriage, Couple, and Family
- Bachelor of Science - Professional Counseling
Regent University is one of the nation’s leading academic centers for Christian thought and action.
Founded in 1978, Regent University’s 11,000 students are studying on its 70-acre campus in Virginia Beach, Va., and online around the world. The university offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from a Christian perspective in more than 135 program areas including business, communication and the arts, cybersecurity and technology, divinity, education, government, law, leadership, nursing and healthcare, and psychology. Regent University has consistently placed as one of the top colleges in the state of Virginia and, currently, Regent University tops the list of Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in Virginia and is ranked among top national universities by U.S. News & World Report. Along with our commitment to academic excellence, what sets Regent apart is our mission to prepare men and women to excel both in mind and spirit. Our students, faculty and administrators share a calling, founded on biblical principles, to make a significant difference in our world.
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
A strong education in psychology is required to become an ABA therapist, with the majority of those conducting research and practicing this form of therapy reaching a doctoral level of education. Many ABA therapist courses will accept candidates from undergraduate programs, but the chances of gaining employment in a recognized medical environment will be limited by this. After an undergraduate program the best option is to seek a master’s degree in psychology, which can open up a large amount of research opportunities and bring the future ABA therapist into contact with teaching professionals that can possibly further their career in the future. ABA therapist training can then be undertaken to allow a state license to be obtained in this rewarding field of behavioral therapy.
The work completed by an ABA therapist can be rewarding and stimulating, the financial rewards are not great for those working each day in a medical or educational environment. But, the majority of candidates are more interested in the job satisfaction and ability to help young people achieve their potential than in financial gain. The path to an ABA therapist exam brings most candidates through a research and theoretical psychology pathway, which are fields that can be expanded on as the career of the individual continues after they become licensed and enter the workplace.