Art Therapist Salary US
Art therapies are professionals who rely on all forms of art to promote healing, recovery and wellness, and the average salary for an art therapist in the United States is of around $57,000. The job outlook has increased by more than one third over the past few years, even in times of recession – this is precisely why thousands of professionals have started to get trained in art therapy and to open their own private practices.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The US
The pay scale for art therapists can vary a lot from one US state to another, and it is a known fact that some states pay more than others. At the time being, art therapists get the highest salary in the District of Columbia, where they get an average salary of $56,000 a year.
Job Description Of Art Therapists
Art therapists are experienced professionals who rely on the use of psychotherapeutic techniques to promote healing and rehabilitation, as well as to improve the life quality of those who suffer from various illnesses. The art therapists work with elderly people, children who suffer from conditions like autism as well as people who suffer from cancer or from various mental disorders. This form of healing usually involves group therapy sessions, although individual therapy sessions are commonly used as well.
Art therapy has been used for thousands of years to promote human health, and it was proven that some people with Alzheimer’s Disease that participate in music therapy can improve their memory. Art therapists can certainly make a big difference in the lives of their patients. These professionals work in day treatment centers, hospices, senior centers, hospitals or private practices, and they usually activate as part of a larger medical team.
How To Become An Art Therapist?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate's
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sport Psychology (Master of Science) - Online
- And more...
- Respiratory Therapy
- Looking for an Online Nursing Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree
- Get Matched to Top Nursing Degree Programs RIGHT NOW for FREE!
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
Education is extremely important for those who want to pursue a career in art therapy, and this typically requires a Master’s Degree in Art Therapy or in counseling or any other field that focuses mainly on art therapy. It is extremely important that the degree is offered by an accredited institution, and most graduate schools require their students to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree and to have studied in a four-year accredited institution.
Some studio art or psychology courses may be required as well, and experience in psychology certainly adds to the experience and professionalism of art therapists. Also, in order to become an art therapist some people require some coursework and training in fields like family counseling or social work.
Getting your license and/or certification as a professional and registered art therapists essential if you want to practice in the United States, and in order to do that you will need to get a certain number of post-graduate training hours, in addition to the Master’s Degree mentioned above. Also, you need some hands-on, clinical training under the close supervision of an already licensed clinician. Upon completing all the formal training, you can sit for the certification exam that is administered by the ATCB, or the Art Therapy Credentialing Board.
Art Therapist Salary In Canada, UK And Australia
The salary of art therapists vary greatly, and the typical salary for an entry-level NHS art therapist in the United Kingdom is between 25,000 and 34,000 pounds. However, principal art therapists can make up to 46,000 pounds a year. On the other hand, in Australia a skilled art therapist can charge anywhere between AU$30 and AU$50 per hour, depending on their employment status, experience and education, while in Canada the average yearly salary for these professionals is of C$53,000.
The Verdict Regarding Art Therapist Salary
Overall, art therapy is a very beautiful field and it can be mutually beneficial, both for the patients and for the therapist himself. If you are passionate about music, drawing or any other form of art and you want to help other people overcome their ailments and conditions while improving the quality of their lives at the same time, then becoming an art therapist may indeed be one of the best choices. Besides this, the salary is very good as well, given the fact that this is not a very demanding job and the overall payment is good. Art therapists also enjoy good advancement opportunities, from entry-level positions to top management or principal art therapy positions, which means they will be earning a lot more money in the future.