Art Therapist Salary US
Art therapies are professionals who rely on all forms of art to promote healing, recovery and wellness, and the average salary for an art therapist in the United States is of around $57,000. The job outlook has increased by more than one third over the past few years, even in times of recession – this is precisely why thousands of professionals have started to get trained in art therapy and to open their own private practices.
Pay Scale In Different Parts Of The US
The pay scale for art therapists can vary a lot from one US state to another, and it is a known fact that some states pay more than others. At the time being, art therapists get the highest salary in the District of Columbia, where they get an average salary of $56,000 a year.
Job Description Of Art Therapists
Art therapists are experienced professionals who rely on the use of psychotherapeutic techniques to promote healing and rehabilitation, as well as to improve the life quality of those who suffer from various illnesses. The art therapists work with elderly people, children who suffer from conditions like autism as well as people who suffer from cancer or from various mental disorders. This form of healing usually involves group therapy sessions, although individual therapy sessions are commonly used as well.
Art therapy has been used for thousands of years to promote human health, and it was proven that some people with Alzheimer’s Disease that participate in music therapy can improve their memory. Art therapists can certainly make a big difference in the lives of their patients. These professionals work in day treatment centers, hospices, senior centers, hospitals or private practices, and they usually activate as part of a larger medical team.
How To Become An Art Therapist?
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Massage Therapy
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Respiratory Therapy
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
What Are You Waiting For?
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Veterinary Assistant
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.
- Clinical Medical Assisting
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
Education is extremely important for those who want to pursue a career in art therapy, and this typically requires a Master’s Degree in Art Therapy or in counseling or any other field that focuses mainly on art therapy. It is extremely important that the degree is offered by an accredited institution, and most graduate schools require their students to have at least a Bachelor’s Degree and to have studied in a four-year accredited institution.
Some studio art or psychology courses may be required as well, and experience in psychology certainly adds to the experience and professionalism of art therapists. Also, in order to become an art therapist some people require some coursework and training in fields like family counseling or social work.
Getting your license and/or certification as a professional and registered art therapists essential if you want to practice in the United States, and in order to do that you will need to get a certain number of post-graduate training hours, in addition to the Master’s Degree mentioned above. Also, you need some hands-on, clinical training under the close supervision of an already licensed clinician. Upon completing all the formal training, you can sit for the certification exam that is administered by the ATCB, or the Art Therapy Credentialing Board.
Art Therapist Salary In Canada, UK And Australia
The salary of art therapists vary greatly, and the typical salary for an entry-level NHS art therapist in the United Kingdom is between 25,000 and 34,000 pounds. However, principal art therapists can make up to 46,000 pounds a year. On the other hand, in Australia a skilled art therapist can charge anywhere between AU$30 and AU$50 per hour, depending on their employment status, experience and education, while in Canada the average yearly salary for these professionals is of C$53,000.
The Verdict Regarding Art Therapist Salary
Overall, art therapy is a very beautiful field and it can be mutually beneficial, both for the patients and for the therapist himself. If you are passionate about music, drawing or any other form of art and you want to help other people overcome their ailments and conditions while improving the quality of their lives at the same time, then becoming an art therapist may indeed be one of the best choices. Besides this, the salary is very good as well, given the fact that this is not a very demanding job and the overall payment is good. Art therapists also enjoy good advancement opportunities, from entry-level positions to top management or principal art therapy positions, which means they will be earning a lot more money in the future.